Like the more I dine out, the more I learn and the more aware I am of new flavors.
As in my creative juices start flowing and the chef-in-me comes up with new concoctions in the kitchen.
But after he devoured this delectable sandwich I recently made for him, I think he “sorta” gets it.
My inspiration for this sandwich is none other than Alice’s Tea Cup, an adorable bakery in Manhattan’s Upper West Side district. Recently at Alice’s Tea Cup, my husband and I ordered the Chopped Tea-Egg Salad Sandwich which comprised of egg, watercress, mayonnaise on 7-grain bread. It was so mouthwatering that I wanted to recreate a similar sandwich at home, but without the unhealthy mayonnaise.
And so I did, the Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich which comprises of avocado, egg, watercress, scallions, lemon on whole wheat bread.
I even added a secret ingredient – Herbal Dijon Mustard – and it took this outrageously delicious sandwich to a whole new level. I strongly urge you use this particular “herbal” Dijon Mustard since it consists of 4 types of herbs – thyme, rosemary, basil, and marjoram – which add depths of flavor. Whole Foods is the place my friends!
I trimmed off the edges so I would be reminded of the scrumptious afternoon tea sandwich I relished at Alice’s Tea Cup.
As you can see, it is imperative I dine out often as it helps me grow my creative side, at least in terms of cooking. And when I’m dining out, I’m really “workin’ hard,” thinking of my next concoction. And lastly, when you live super close to a cultural melting pot, such as, New York City, dining out is inevitable. I hope my husband FINALLY gets it!
Enjoy this delicious sandwich which is perfect for an afternoon tea party with girlfriends, or just a lazy Sunday at home with your significant other.
NUTRITION: Avocados are rich in Antioxidants and are a good source of Fiber, Folic Acid, and Vitamins B6, C, E and K. In addition, they help lower cholesterol and contain anti-cancerous properties. Eggs are a very good source of Vitamin B2, and are a good source Protein and Vitamin D, although the yolks do contain a lot of cholesterol, the yolk also contains tons of nutrients that are good for you. In addition to preventing cancer, watercress is rich in Iron, Calcium, Vitamins A and C, Antioxidants, and Folate. Scallions are an excellent source of Vitamin K. Whole Wheat Bread is a good source of Protein and Fiber.
INGREDIENTS (makes 3 sandwiches) :
- Eggs – 2 (boiled)
- Egg White – 1 (boiled)
- Avocado – 1
- Lemon – Juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Scallions – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Watercress – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Domaine des Vignes’ Herbal Dijon Mustard – just a glaze on each slice of bread (or use any Dijon Mustard)
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread – 6 slices (makes 3 sandwiches)
1. Start by boiling 3 eggs.
2. Peel the eggs and place them in a large bowl. I removed the yolk of one egg for health reasons.
3. Add the avocado.
4. Add the juice of 1/4 of a lemon, this will prevent the avocado from browning.
5. Season with salt and black pepper.
6. Chop the scallions and add them to the large bowl – you only need 1/2 cup.
7. Chop the watercress and add them to the large bowl as well – you only need 1/2 cup.
8. Run a knife through the eggs and avocado – this will help them remain chunky.
9. This is what you should have, notice it is chunky, not pureed.
10. Take 2 slices of bread and trim off the edges.
11. Take a small amount of Dijon Mustard ( I urge you to pick up the brand I purchased from Whole Foods ) and just glaze it on each slice of bread.
12. This is what you should have.
13. Top with 2 to 3 spoonful’s of the avocado-egg mixture.
14. Top with the other slice of bread and slice in half.
15. Healthy food never tasted so good. Refreshing, light, and oh so delicious!
TELL ME: Do you enjoy Afternoon Tea? If so, what’s your favorite Afternoon Tea sandwich?