A warm and comforting bowl of Instant Pot Toor Dal or Split Pigeon Peas topped with tadka or a tempering of Indian spices. It's perfect with a Basmati rice, papad, and achaar.
Growing up I hated dal. We had dal once a week on average. I found it flavorless, but it wasn't until years later I figured out why I despised dal so much. Ready for this? My mom never added tadka (tempering of spices) to the lentils for health reasons, and y'all know tadka makes all the difference.
Once I discovered dal tadka, I learned to love dal. Now, it's my comfort food on days I don't feel like cooking, after coming home from vacation, and when I'm sick. Needless to say, my hubby still hates dal and I'm working on him, but he did enjoy a bowl of my toor dal with rice. Hope you guys try my "lazy" dal with rice... it has no ginger, garlic, tomatoes, or onions. It's perfect with a side of papad, yogurt, and achaar (pickle). A dollop of ghee/butter would be delectable on top. Enjoy!
this instant pot toor dal is:
Healthy-ish (use less oil)
Perfect for Fall & Winter
Great for Meal Prepping
how to make instant pot toor dal step by step?
for the dal / lentils
1. Soak split piegon pea lentils in warm water for 15 minutes.
2. Combine the toor dal ingredients... lentils, water, turmeric powder, and ½ teaspoon salt in the Instant Pot.
3. Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 8 minutes.
4. Once done.
Prepare the tadka / tempering.
1. Set aside all the spices.
2. Heat up a small pot, add oil once hot, once the oil is hot, add all the spices and temper for about 30-45 seconds.
3. Pour the tadka over the dal. Mix well.
1. Add another ½ teaspoon of salt if need be, mango powder, and fresh cilantro leaves.
2. Serve with brown rice, white rice, or quinoa. I also love it with a side of papar, achaar, and yogurt.
Instant Pot Toor Dal / Split Pigeon PeasVegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free
for Toor Dal / Split Pigeon Peas
- 1 ½ cups toor dal / split pigeon peas
- 4 ½ cups water, you can add more later
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
for the tadka / tempering
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, you can use less oil, try 2 tbsp
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon hing, for gluten-free, use gf hing
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon ajwain / carom seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 dry red chilies, split in half
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp amchoor / mango powder
- ½ tsp salt, if need be
- ½ tsp amchoor / mango powder
- small handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
for the Dal / Lentils
for the tadka / tempering
- Set aside all the spices.
- Heat up a small pot, add oil once hot, once the oil is hot, add all the spices and temper for about 30-45 seconds.
- Pour the tadka over the dal. Mix well.
- Add salt if need be, mango powder, and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve with brown rice, white rice, or quinoa. I also love it with a side of papar, achaar, and yogurt.