Jeera Aloo is potatoes sauteed with cumin seeds and a few basic spices. This dish is quick & easy, and perfect when observing a fast during Navratri.
What is Jeera Aloo?
Jeera translates to cumin and aloo translates potatoes. This is a simple and classic Indian sabzi that can be made when you’re not really in the mood to cook. Since this dish is painfully easy to make, you won’t find it on any Indian restaurant menu, it really is that simple.
Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
This dish is already vegan and gluten-free.
When should I make Jeera Aloo?
- Navratri. Since this dish has no flour, garlic, or onions, this dish is perfect when observing a fast, especially around the Hindu festival of Navratri. You can eat this dish as is or with yogurt during Navratri.
- Rice & Lentils. Jeera Aloo is the perfect accompaniment with Dal Chawal. or Kadhi Chawal.
- Paratha & Yogurt. Another way to enjoy cumin-spiced potatoes is with paratha (an Indian flatbread) and yogurt. A simple and easy wholesome meal.
- Breakfast. When consuming eggs, you can totally make these potatoes on the side and enjoy them with ketchup.
Can I make Jeera Aloo in a nonstick or should I use a castiron skillet?
You guys know that I am biased, so I’ll always choose castiron over nonstick. For this dish, you can obviously use nonstick to make life easier.
If you’re using a castiron skillet, the key is to cook the potatoes on medium heat for 5 minutes, and then lower the heat all the way down and cover the pan. The steam will cook the potatoes down until fork tender. Additionally, you don’t need a ton of oil to do this. I used 1 1/2 tbsp of oil for this dish and that works.
Tips on making Jeera Aloo:
- Peel and cube the potatoes into half-inch cubes.
- Cook the potatoes on medium heat for 5 minutes, then lower the heat all the way down, cover with a lid, and cook for another 15 minutes. The steam will help soften the potatoes.
- Add mango powder (amchur) all the way to the end. This adds a nice tang to the dish.
Ingredients you’ll need for Jeera Aloo:
Potatoes: For this recipe, I recommend using russet potatoes. Wash, peel, and cube into half-inch cubes.
Cumin Seeds: Second most important ingredient is cumin seeds which adds a nice smoky flavor.
Red Chili Powder: Use Indian red chili powder, but if you don’t have it, you may use cayenne pepper, or even paprika (for less spice). Additionally, Kashmiri Red Chili powder will work well if you can’t handle too much spice.
Coriander Powder: An earthy spice that adds a ton of flavor without any heat.
Mango Powder (amchur): This spice adds a nice tang and should be used towards the end of the dish.
Jeera Aloo is:
Quick & Easy
Perfect during fasting
How to make Jeera Aloo recipe step by step?
1. Wash and peel 4 medium-size russet potatoes.
2. Cut the potatoes into half-inch size cubes.
1. Heat a castiron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add oil followed by cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds or until it sizzles.
2. Add the cubed potatoes.
3. Mix well. Saute for 7 minutes on medium heat until the potatoes are slightly golden.
4. Season with salt, coriander powder, and red chili powder. Mix well.
5. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. The steam will soften the potatoes.
6. Once done. Add mango powder (amchur). Mix well. Turn off the stove.
Pin & Enjoy!
More Potato Recipes!
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled & cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp mango powder amchur
- 1/2 tsp salt little more if need be
- Wash and peel 4 medium-size russet potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into half-inch size cubes.
- Heat a castiron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add oil followed by cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds or until it sizzles.
- Add the cubed potatoes.
- Mix well. Saute for 7 minutes on medium heat until the potatoes are slightly golden.
- Season with salt, coriander powder, and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. The steam will soften the potatoes.
- Once done. Add mango powder (amchur). Mix well. Turn off the stove.