Perfectly cooked Instant Pot Jeera Rice also known as Cumin Rice comes together in minutes. This versatile Indian rice dish is flavored with garam masala and aromatic spices and is served with any dal, lentil, curry, or sabzi.
"Quick and easy Amazing delicious recipe."
What is Jeera Rice?
Jeera Rice (also called Zeera Rice) translates to Cumin Rice. This side dish is made in most Indian households and is served at almost all Indian restaurants. Jeera Rice goes perfectly with Indian curries such as Punjabi Chole, Punjabi Rajma, Dal Makhani, and Chicken Curry. And when you're in the mood for traditional dal chawal, make Toor Dal Tadka or Spinach Dal Fry along with this fragrant Jeera Rice.
Jeera Rice is made with Indian Basmati Rice which is floral and aromatic. Basmati Rice is delicious on its own, however when flavored with whole cumin seeds, the flavor of this rice dish is elevated.
This failproof recipe uses an Instant Pot to make perfect Jeera Rice where each grain of rice is separated. You'll end up with the most deicious and fluffy cumin rice.
Mom's Jeera Rice
Everyone has their own way of making Jeera Rice which adds a unique touch to a widely popular dish. I first learned how to make Jeera Rice from my mom which was a lecture filled with what to do and what not to do lol.
So what sets this Jeera Rice recipe apart from the rest?
In addition to using cumin seeds, my mom adds a touch of garam masala powder which flavors the rice perfectly and adds a subtle brown color. This essentially is a shortcut to using a combination of whole spices which make up garam masala - cinnamon stick, bay leaf, peppercorns, and cloves.
Additionally, my mom adds cardamom seeds (not just green cardamom pods) which are lightly crushed and added to the tempering. This adds a wonderful floral flavor.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
✔️ Fragrant & Aromatic
✔️ Failproof recipe
✔️ Each grain of rice is separate
✔️ Easy to make
✔️ Made with Simple Ingredients
✔️ Perfect with any dal, lentil, curry, or sabzi
✔️ Vegan & Gluten-Free
- Basmati Rice: You'll need white aged basmati rice. You can easily find basmati white rice at the Indian grocery store or Amazon. Some brands I love - Tilda, Royal Basmati Rice, and Daawat.
- Cumin Seeds: Jeera means cumin which is an essential ingredient in making Cumin Rice.
- Garam Masala: You'll need ground Garam Masala which can be found at the Indian grocery store or Amazon.
- Green Cardamom Pods: Make sure to open the cardamom pods and use the black seeds inside. This adds a lovely floral flavor.
- Oil: Any flavorless oil will do.
- Water: To wash and soak the rice. You'll also need water to cook the rice.
Step by Step Instructions - How to make Instant Pot Jeera Rice recipe
1. Wash basmati rice 5-6 times until the water runs clear. Soak basmati rice for 15 minutes. Wash, drain, and set aside.
Instant Pot Method
1. Press Saute Mode on the Instant Pot, and wait for it to heat up. Once hot, add oil.
2. Add cumin seeds. Saute for 15 seconds until they sizzle.
3. Add garam masala and cardamom seeds. Saute for 30 seconds or so.
4. Now add drained rice and saute for 2 minutes until lightly toasted.
5. Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Add water and salt. Stir well.
6. Close the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then perform a quick release.
7. Open the instant pot and you'll end up with perfectly cooked jeera rice like so.
8. Here is a better view. Fluff with a fork and enjoy!
Expert Tips to Make Perfect Cumin Rice
- Wash the rice well. This removes excess starch and will prevent sticky rice.
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Don't skimp on the oil. Please add oil (or ghee if you prefer) as the recipe suggests when making Jeera Rice. This will ensure the rice is fluffy & moist, additionally, each grain of rice will be separated.
- When adding rice to oil, saute for a couple of minutes until slightly toasty. Then hit Cancel mode on the Instant Pot.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then manually release it.
What to Serve with Cumin Rice
Jeera Rice pairs beautifully with dal, lentils, curries, and sabzis.
Here are some of my favorite Punjabi dishes to serve with Jeera Rice.
Additionally, you can also serve jeera rice with kachumber salad, papad, and some kind of achaar. It's pure bliss!
How to Store Jeera Rice
- Store Jeera Rice in a glass airtight container and refrigerate. Jeera Rice will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- When you're ready to use, sprinkle some water on top, cover with a microwave-safe lid, and microwave.
- You can also freeze jeera rice in a Ziploc and microwave the rice when ready to use.
✔️ You can add frozen green peas to Jeera Rice when you add the water. Then close the lid and cook using the Instant Pot Method.
✔️ Sliced onions can be added right after cooking the spices. Saute the onions until translucent or golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. This recipe is completely vegan.
Yes. This recipe is gluten-free.
Feel free to add a bay leaf, cloves, and a few black peppercorns. You can add these whole spices along with the cardamom seeds.
Yes. I highly recommend it. Washing the rice will remove excess starch which will prevent the rice from sticking together.
When rinsing rice, make sure you do so about 5-6 times. You'll notice towards the end the water will run slightly clear.
You don't have to, but I recommend it. I prefer softer rice without a bite, so I love soaking my rice for that perfect fluffy rice.
Yes. Simply replace oil with ghee - same quantity. Keep in mind that once you add ghee, this recipe is no longer vegan.
Use white basmati rice - it's the best!
Here are some brands that I love - Tilda, Royal Basmati Rice, and Daawat.
Absolutely. For brown rice, the cooking time varies. Although I haven't tested this fully, you will likely have to cook the brown rice in the Instant Pot for roughly 22-24 minutes and increase the water amount.
More Rice Recipes!
- Instant Pot Vegetable Pulao
- Indo-Chinese Fried Rice
- Thai Basil Fried Rice
- Kale Cranberry Curry Wild Rice
Tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment & rate this recipe. That would mean so much to me. If you’re on Instagram, please tag me so I can see your creations. I'm happy to share and mention you. Thank you!
Instant Pot Jeera RiceVegan, Gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cardamom seeds from cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 ½ cups uncooked basmati rice, washed, rinsed, drained
- 1 ¾ cups water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Wash basmati rice 5-6 times until the water runs clear. Soak basmati rice for 15 minutes. Wash, drain, and set aside.
Instant Pot Method
- Press SAUTE Mode on the Instant Pot, and wait for it to heat up. Once hot, add oil.
- Add cumin seeds. Saute for 15 seconds until they sizzle.
- Add garam masala and cardamom seeds. Saute for 30 seconds or so.
- Now add drained rice and saute for 2 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Add water and salt. Stir well.
- Close the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then perform a quick release.
- Open the instant pot and you'll end up with perfectly cooked jeera rice.
- Here is a better view. Fluff with a fork and enjoy!
Quick and easy Amazing delicious recipe