World’s BEST Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara. This dish will transport you back to Italy with the most simple ingredients.
A plane ticket to Italy ~ $1000
Rao’s Homemade Pasta Sauce ~ $9
It’s apparent what’s more cost-efficient here, but I would totally justify spending $1000 to visit Italy again, but I can’t justify spending $9 on a bottle of Rao’s Homemade sauce.
I know my logic’s a bit off, but let’s face it, there are no shortcuts in getting to Europe without flying, however there are many good alternatives to delicious pasta sauces besides Rao’s. Agreed?
How I heard about Rao’s Homemade Marinara?
When my friend, Marian, raved about how amazing Rao’s Homemade Pasta Sauce was almost a year ago, I was intrigued, but I did wonder was it really as good as she said, and more importantly, was it really worth 9 bucks?
Since then, every time I visited the grocery store and walked past the pasta section, I couldn’t help but notice the ridiculous cost of Rao’s Pasta Sauce, but to my dismay, it was never on sale. And each time I’d settle for my other 2 favorite pasta sauces – Barilla and Classico – which worked perfectly well.
Recently though, I found Rao’s Homemade Sauce ON SALE, at $5.50 a jar. Imagine my excitement?
The Best Jarred Spaghetti Sauce
When I returned home and opened the jar of Rao’s Marinara Sauce and finally gave it a try, I couldn’t believe how RIGHT my friend was!
It was amazing.
It was light.
And so fresh.
And, yes indeed, it tasted homemade.
My only concern was the sauce was a bit oily, but with such fresh ingredients, I quickly overlooked it.
That night I made the simplest form of pasta I knew with the most basic ingredients – olive oil, garlic, onions, Parmesan cheese, and lots and lots of basil drowning in Rao’s sauce. This Rao’s Spaghetti dish comes together in just 30 minutes and makes a great weeknight meal.
When I took his first bite, I swear I felt I had been transported back to Italy. It was soooooooooo good. The moral is… if you can’t go to Italy, then bring Italy home with Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce which is priceless. And thank you, Rao’s! I am a convert for life.
Ingredients for World’s BEST Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara:
Rao’s Homemade Marinara: There is no debating, you must use Rao’s Homemade Marinara, or their Arriabiata sauce is amazing too if you like spice.
Olive Oil: Any good quality olive oil will work.
Crushed Red Pepper: I love spicy food, so I recommend lots of crushed red pepper for this one.
Onion: Chopped white onions are what you’ll need.
Garlic: There is nothing like fresh garlic in pasta, and make sure it’s chopped.
Spaghetti: I love using whole-wheat spaghetti for additional fiber. Feel free to use gluten-free or regular spaghetti.
Spices: Salt and black pepper.
Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese tastes amazing in this dish, however you can do without cheese because the sauce is just that good.
Fresh Basil: Lots of fresh basil adds a ton of flavor to this dish.
World’s best spaghetti Rao’s Homemade Marinara is:
Made with Simple Ingredients
Transports you back to Italy
The BEST Pasta Sauce
How to make World’s Best Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara step by step?
1. Start by heating a pot of water for your pasta.
2. In the meantime, finely chop an onion and 4 cloves of garlic.
3. Add uncooked spaghetti to boiling water along with salt. Follow the directions on the package and cook until al dente.
1. Heat a pot on medium heat and add extra virgin olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
2. Once the pepper flakes sizzle for about 10 seconds, add garlic. Saute for 20 seconds.
3. Now add onions. Season with a little salt. Saute for a 3-4 minutes until golden.
4. Add the Rao’s Marinara sauce – you’ll need 32 ounces of sauce for this recipe. It’s amazing so hope you’re using it.
5. Season with 1/2 tsp of black pepper and salt to taste. Stir.
6. Cover with a lid for about 10 minutes.
7. In the meantime, check on the spaghetti – should be done or close to it.
8. Now add all the pasta to the sauce.
9. Toss well. Add 1/2 cup of reserved starchy pasta water – more if needed. Toss. Turn off the stove. Season with salt or black pepper as needed.
10. Add the basil. Toss some more.
11. Add parmesan cheese. Toss. This makes it nice and creamy.
12. Top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. It’s insanely good.
- If you want just some good ol’ comfort food, enjoy this delicious spaghetti with some garlic bread. I want to get a garlic bread recipe on my blog soon.
- If you’re looking to make this dish healthier, pair this pasta dish with a light salad.
- A glass of red wine would be delicious with this meal.
- A side of sauteed spinach or roasted broccoli would be delicious.
World’s BEST Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara lasts in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It tastes even better the next day.
Tips on making World’s BEST Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara
- Boil water and spaghetti.
- Chop your ingredients.
- Saute your veggies.
- Add marinara sauce.
- Add spaghetti, basil, parmesan cheese, and reserved pasta water.
- Toss and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make World’s BEST Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara vegan and gluten-free?
For a vegan option, simply omit the Parmesan cheese or use a vegan cheese.
For a gluten-free option, replace the whole-wheat spaghetti with gluten-free spaghetti.
2. Can I use less oil in this spaghetti dish?
Yes. Instead of 2 tbsp, you can use 1 tbsp of oil. It’s still delicious.
3. What veggies can I add to this dish?
I wouldn’t go too crazy adding veggies to this spaghetti else it’ll take away from the pasta, however some fresh spinach would be good I this pasta.
Instead of adding veggies to the pasta directly, a side of veggies, such as sauteed spinach, roasted broccoli, and sauteed zucchini would all be wonderful.
4. What protein can I serve with this dish?
A side of sauteed shrimp or chicken would be delicious. If you’re vegetarian, you can grill up some tofu.
Additionally, you can make some chicken, turkey, or beef meatballs and add them to this sauce. It’ll be so delicious with a boost of protein.
5. Where can I find Rao’s Marinara Sauce cheaper?
Your best bet is Costco! Costco sells 2 28-ounce jars of Rao’s Marinara Sauce for about $11. It’s the best deal on the market.
6. How do I make this sauce more indulgent?
Towards the end of the dish, right before you add the cheese, you can add a splash of heavy cream. Simmer for a minute. This will turn the sauce into a lighter red and give it some additional richness. Then go ahead and add parmesan cheese on top.
More Pasta Dishes!
- Penne alla Vodka
- Spaghetti Vegetarian Quinoa Meatballs
- Tikka Masala Pasta
- Sun-Dried Tomato Spinach Pasta
- Mushroom Spaghetti
Pin & Enjoy!
World's BEST Spaghetti RAO’s Homemade Marinara
- pot of water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 32 ounces Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 handfuls fresh basil julienned
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water add more if needed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tbsp parmesan cheese optional
- fresh basil
- Start by heating a pot of water for your pasta.
- In the meantime, finely chop an onion and 4 cloves of garlic.
- Add uncooked spaghetti to boiling water along with salt. Follow the directions on the package and cook until al dente.
- Heat a pot on medium heat and add extra virgin olive oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Once the pepper flakes sizzle for about 10 seconds, add garlic. Saute for 20 seconds.
- Now add onions. Season with a little salt. Saute for a 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Add the Rao’s Marinara sauce - you'll need 32 ounces of sauce for this recipe. It's amazing so hope you're using it.
- Season with 1/2 tsp of black pepper and salt to taste. Stir.
- Cover with a lid for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, check on the spaghetti - should be done or close to it.
- Now add all the pasta to the sauce.
- Toss well. Add 1/2 cup of reserved starchy pasta water - more if needed. Toss. Turn off the stove. Season with salt or black pepper as needed.
- Add the basil. Toss some more.
- Add parmesan cheese. Toss. This makes it nice and creamy.
- Top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. It's insanely good.