Creamy, comforting, delicious Black Bean Enchilada Pasta cooked in a sauce flavored with southwestern spices. Gluten-Free option available, simply replace whole wheat pasta with a gluten-free pasta of your choice.
Sometimes I lie awake at night thinking about food. That is the time of day my brain functions at its best.
I think about all the different food variations and ingredients I could possibly combine.
So here is one such recipe I cooked up before I fell asleep.
Y'all know Mexican food is my favorite cuisine. I wanted to make a Mexican Pasta dish, sorta fusion, that would have all the southwestern flavors in a pasta dish.
This dish has it all... sour cream, black beans, cheese, loads of flavor and pasta. So mouthwatering and delectable.
black bean enchilada pasta is:
Whole Wheat or Gluten-Free option available
How to make Black Bean Enchilada Pasta step by step?
1. Start by boiling a pot of water on high heat.
2. Proceed to chop the scallions, garlic, jalapenos, and onion.
3. Heat a dutch oven on medium heat, once hot, add oil. Add the scallions, garlic and jalapenos. Cook for a few minutes until soft.
4. Add the chopped onion. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
5. Add tomatoes.
6. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
7. In the meantime, open up a can of black beans and enchilada sauce. Drain the black beans.
8. Back to the tomato onion mixture... this is what you should have. Smash the tomatoes.
9. Add the enchilada sauce.
10. Cover with a lid on low-medium heat for 7-9 minutes.
11. Lightly salt the pasta for the water, and add the whole wheat pasta shells.
12. Once the pasta is al dente, turn off the gas for the pasta.
13. Check on the enchilada sauce. Once it's bubbling away, add the sour cream, black beans and taco seasoning. Stir.
14. Add 1 cup of cheese. Turn off the stove and gently stir.
15. Add the pasta shells little by little to the creamy sauce. Stir as you add pasta.
17. Top with ½ cup of cheese and chopped cilantro. Cover with a lid. The cheese will melt.
18. This is what you should have. Serve immediately.
Black Bean Enchilada Pasta (whole wheat, gluten-free option)
- Large pot of water for the pasta
- 1 pound whole wheat medium shells*, I love Delallo Organic Whole Wheat
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped & deseeded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 16 ounce can mild enchilada sauce, I love <a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H221VC/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hwc1806-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000H221VC&linkId=46800ba2580fbc267b2fad8fe795d017" target="_blank" rel="noopener" data-mce-href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H221VC/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hwc1806-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000H221VC&linkId=46800ba2580fbc267b2fad8fe795d017">Hatch Chile</a> (use medium for more spice)**
- 2 ½ - 3 tablespoon taco seasoning, I love Trader Joe's
- 1 15 ounce can organic black beans, drained & rinsed
- ¾ cup sour cream, I love Daisy brand
- 1 ½ cups mexican cheese, shredded & divided (1 cup for the sauce, ½ cup on top)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- SKIP THE SALT - this recipe has enough sodium between the taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
- Start by boiling a pot of water on high heat.
- Proceed to chop the scallions, garlic, jalapenos, and onion.
- Heat a dutch oven on medium heat, once hot, add oil. Add the scallions, garlic and jalapenos. Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped onion. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, open up a can of black beans and enchilada sauce. Drain the black beans.
- Back to the tomato onion mixture... this is what you should have. Smash the tomatoes.
- Add the enchilada sauce.
- Cover with a lid on low-medium heat for 7-9 minutes.
- Lightly salt the pasta for the water, and add the whole wheat pasta shells. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until perfectl al dente.
- Once the pasta is al dente, turn off the gas for the pasta.
- Check on the enchilada sauce. Add the sour cream, black beans and taco seasoning. Stir.
- Add 1 cup of cheese. Turn off the stove and gently stir.
- Add the pasta shells little by little to the creamy sauce.
- Top with ½ cup of cheese and chopped cilantro. Cover with a lid. The cheese will melt.
** for spicier pasta, use medium/hot enchilada sauce instead of mild. you can also add the seeds of the jalapeno.
I am drooling over here!! I love all mexican food too and this pasta looks incredible! Mmmmm!!! 🙂
Oh my gosh, this looks crazy good. I am going to try this week for sure!
Wow. Seriously, I wanna do this. Like, right now!!! It will be a meal this week for sure. We all love mexican food and pasta at home. It is nice the way you mixed pasta and mexican flavors. I already love it 🙂 Thanks a lot! PS: I'm just like you. I do think of food at night and my boyfriend just don't understand haha 😛 It is always running in your head as in mine 😛 I'm not alone! God thanks hihi!
i really want to try this, but i can't take my desktop computer into the kitchen, and if i print it out it's 13 pages! yikes!! I wish you could provide a link with just ingredients/steps sans pics 🙁
@Chris... I know, I'm sorry! For now, here is a workaround. Copy and paste the ingredients and directions portion into "Notepad." This will eliminate all pictures. Print.
Sorry, I will work on it.
Made this recipe a few times already and perfect everytime!!! Nisha, thank you for making the step by step process so easy to follow and with pictures as well!! It's always a hit when I make it!! 🙂
no problem, thanks for the super-fast reply! This means I can make it for dinner tonight (that's another of the reasons I like this recipe so much, I have everything on hand) 🙂
I just made this for dinner, so so so good! I had everything on hand except the scallions and cilantro which I was disappointed about but it still turned out awesomely! I also added diced zucchini and corn. This was the perfect amount of heat without being over-powerfully spicy. Definitely going to become a go to dinner.
Oh this looks fantastic for the coming winter months. I love meals that translate to good leftovers for lunch the next day. "TELL ME: If you are a food blogger, is it just me, or do you lie awake at night dreaming of food and new recipes to invent? Tell me I'm not CRAZY!" You are not crazy. Well, unless I am absolutely flaming mad too.
Thx Guys! I'm excited to know you guys are interested in trying this recipe. Please let me know how it turns out. 🙂
@Emma - thanks for your vote of confidence... glad it turned out great. It isn't powerfully spicy with 2 jalapenos. I agree.
@Bunnyeatsdesign - LOL! Loved your comment. 🙂
I have been "stalking" this blog for a little while now but this is the first recipe I have actually tried. I couldn't resist commenting because it was SO delicious! I whipped it up for my boyfriend and I to have for dinner but it was so tasty I just had to share it with my roommate and her boyfriend too! Thanks for the great recipe.
Honey, thank you so much for the inspiration!!! I just made this for dinner, slightly modified, using fire roasted green chiles instead of the jalapenos, and I added some 97/3 ground beef. Absolutely AMAZING! My husband has demanded that we add this to our "menu" of food choices 🙂 Thanks again!!!
@Anonymous (the last 2) - thank you for the wonderful comments. Glad to know the beef version turned out good.
I cannot wait to make this - it looks amazing!
This recipe was so easy and so delicious! 20 minutes was too long for my oven, so the cheese on top ended up getting a little too hard; but of course that's my own fault for not keeping an eye on it. This was an amazing recipe, and I can't wait to try your future creations.
@jennifer - sorry about that, yeah every oven is different I guess. but i'm so glad this recipe was a success for you. I have lots of future creations that I'm working on. 🙂
Liezel & Leena says
We made this for dinner tonight and it was too good. The recipe is so easy to follow. I guess I have to figure out the oven settings here cause the cheese did get slightly hard. We could not find any taco seasoning in HK so just managed with the enchilada sauce and it still turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe.
i just came across your site and LOVEIt! so excited to try this 🙂
I have made this recipe so many times now, and it is one of my favorites! It makes so much, so it's perfect for entertaining. It also reheats well, so we often have left overs for lunches. I'm making it again this weekend. It looks like a lot of ingrediants, but it's really very simple to make. Thank you!!
Thank you so much for taking the time out to comment. Enjoy! 🙂
Pasta is in the oven as we speak. I think I've made this three times or more and each times is better than the next. I'm thinking of adding some canned corn the next time. I Just love how my meat loving husband doesnt mind eating this vegetarian dish! Simply amazing!
@Bindu - thank you. So glad it gets better each time. That's a huge compliment when a meat-eater enjoys a vegetarian dish. 🙂
Omg. Its 3 am and i googled black beans and pasta. Im making this in the am.... yes am lol!!!!!
@Anonymous - your comment made me laugh. Awww.. at 3 am you made this pasta? Why? I guess everyone needs a little comfort food. I LOVE THIS DISH! Thank you!
my mouth is watering at work, I make a similar recipe, but dont heat up the enchilada sauce and cheese before baking it. Next time will def follow your recipe. Looks amazing 🙂
Thanks Komal.. yeah these recipes can be tempting if you are viewing them at work, hopefully not in the middle of the day. Let me know how it goes if you make this. Thanks. 🙂
it is amazing! I have made this twice before and will be making it tomorrow to bring over to a friend whose wife just had their second baby! I might add some meat this time as well. thanks.
Thanks Cammy.. so appreciate your comment. I hope it turns out fabulous... meat would be a great addition. 🙂
Ami Dhaval says
This turned out great! It was a great hit with my family...making it again tonight. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe.
Thanks Ami. Glad you enjoyed it, and hope it turns out great again. Welcome!
Bill Lehman says
Chorizo would be good to add to this.
Wonderful recipe! Thank you!
Sapna Parmar says
This recipe is soo good! My whole family loved it including my picky toddler. Will make again for sure!
I’m sorry I doubted you for even a second with this recipe!
I made it with banza (chickpea) pasta and it was YUMMY. Husband approved and if I had kids, I’m sure they would love it too.
OMG lol. Thank you so much. This is a good one. I'm so glad it worked with Banza. xoxo
Pasta is one of the favourite things in our house as my girls always wants something different . After seeing this recipe it gave me an opportunity to try and it was a hit in our house. Already made it 2 times? Thanks for sharing the recipe
Loveee this recipe. So easy to make and adapt! I made version with banza chickpea pasta shells and used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to make it healthier!
Tried it for the first time last night and it was AMAZINGGGGG!!!! Will be making again soon for sure!
Thank you for the recipe Nisha, this has become one of our favorite recipes to make! My husband loved it so much that he asked me to make it on the regular! So easy to make and tastes truly delicious... my kids loved it too!!!
Sonia KB says
Tried this recipe and it was so yummy! The directions with pictures and measurements made everything so much easier and I really appreciated that when I reached out to Nisha, she replied back and was able to guide me further. Can't wait to try more recipes in future!!
Awww anytime Sonia. So glad it worked out. xoxo
can i make this ahead of time for a superbowl party ?
Hi Unnati - Yes. I would add the cheese right before baking though. Assemble the enchiladas and top with sauce. Refrigerate. Then add the cheese and bake. Let me know! 🙂
Rajvi Koradia says
This turned out so good❤️ Totally recommend it..
Thank you so much for making this! xoxo.
This ones a hit in our house! I love making this, quick and pretty easy! Love your recipes!
I have tried this recipe two times and my family loved it . It is so tempting and very easy to make for weeknight or weekend meal .
Thank you so much Nisha 💕
Love this! Anyone has recs on what else to serve with this when family is coming over? I want to have some sides or a few options
HI Prima, This is a heavy dish so I would pair this with a side salad. Maybe some chips and salsa since it's Mexican.