Bombay Grilled Sandwich is Indian street food made with chutney, butter, veggies, cheese, and chat masala.
Indian Street Food is pure comfort. A Bombay Grilled Sandwich is a must when it comes to street food.
What is Bombay Grilled Sandwich?
A Bombay Vegetable Sandwich is made with potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, cheese, and chat masala. On occasion, I’ve seen the addition of beets on these sandwiches.
Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
for vegan: Replace the butter and cheese with vegan butter and vegan cheese. Alternatively, you may skip the cheese completely and use oil in place of butter.
for gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread instead of regular sourdough bread.
Grilled Bombay Sandwich vs. No Grill
I like to grill my Bombay Sandwich, however you have the option to not grill the sandwich. If you choose do not grill it, make sure you use a soft white bread instead of sourdough.
Tips on making Bombay Grilled Sandwich:
- Make sure you boil the potatoes. You can microwave the potatoes, but boiling them tastes better.
- Thinly slice the potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.
- You can use either chat masala or sandwich masala in this recipe.
- You do need a generous amount of butter when making a Bombay Sandwich.
- Be sure to use either sourdough bread or a classic white sandwich bread for this recipe.
- Grill each side of the sandwich for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Cut sandwich into fours. Serve with ketchup or red chili sauce.
Bombay Grilled Sandwich is:
Classic Indian Sandwich
Indian Street Food
Vegan option (see notes)
Gluten-free option (see notes)
How to make Bombay Sandwich recipe step by step?
7. Top with onion and more chat masala.
8. Close sandwich.
2. Once hot place the sandwich on the skillet. Spread butter on top or spray a little avocado oil. Cook for 5 minutes on one side.
3. Flip. Spread butter on top or spray a little avocado oil on this side. Cook on the other side for 5 minutes.
4. Flip again. Cook for 3 minutes.
5. Slice sandwich in half.
More Sandwich Recipes!
- Spinach Chutney Cheese Toastie
- Masala Corn Spinach Toastie
- Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie
- Jalapeno Popper Garlic Bread
- Tea Party Sandwiches (Indian-inspired)
Bombay Grilled SandwichVegetarian, Vegan option, Gluten-free option
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp butter, per sandwich, more if needed
- spoonfuls cilantro chutney, 4 tsp per sandwich
- 2 russet potatoes, boiled & thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Mexican white cheese, 1/3 cup per sandwich
- to taste, chat masala
- Chat masala
- Boil 2 potatoes.
- In the meantime, make the Cilantro Chutney.
- Peel the potatoes. Thinly slice the potatoes, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Take 2 slices of sourdough bread (white bread works too). Spread a generous amount of butter on each slice of bread.
- Top with a layer of chutney.
- Top one slice of bread with potatoes followed by chat masala.
- Now top with tomatoes.
- A generous amount of cheese and chat masala.
- Add sliced cucumbers.
- Top with onion and more chat masala.
- Close sandwich.
- Heat up a grilled castiorn skillet for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Once hot place the sandwich on the skillet.
- Spread butter on top or spray a little avocado oil. Cook for 5 minutes on one side.
- Flip. Spread butter on top or spray a little avocado oil on this side. Cook on the other side for 5 minutes.
- Flip again. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Slice sandwich in half.