Bombay Grilled Sandwich is popular Indian street food from the city of Mumbai. This vegetable sandwich is made with green chutney, butter, veggies, cheese, and chat masala.
Best Bombay Sandwich in Mumbai
I had my very first Bombay Sandwich in Mumbai. I was in Mumbai for a friend's wedding and we went shopping at Friendship Boutique in Santa Cruz.
There was a sandwich guy making the most delicious sandwiches outside the boutique. You know in India, you can shop and eat at the same time with no issues. Lol. Needless to say, I was in heaven because the food in India is pure heaven.
In any case, I had my first Bombay Sandwich in Santa Cruz and it was absolutely delicious. I had to open up the veggie sandwich to dissect it and replicate it.
Indian Street Food is pure comfort. A Bombay Grilled Sandwich is a must when it comes to street food.
What is a Bombay Grilled Sandwich?
A Bombay Grilled Sandwich - also known as a Mumbai Sandwich is an Indian Sandwich that is popular in the streets of Mumbai.
What is Bombay Sandwich made of?
This famous Indian Street Food is made with green chutney, butter, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, grated cheese, and chaat masala. On occasion, I've also seen the addition of beets and green bell peppers on these sandwiches.
For this famous vegetable sandwich, the vegetables are thinly sliced and spiced with chat masala. You can enjoy this sandwich grilled or not, it tastes great either way.
The combination of all the veggies, cheese, chutney, and butter is delectable. Trust me!
Ingredients for Bombay Grilled Sandwich
- Bread: If you prefer a grilled sandwich, then use sourdough bread. If you prefer a sandwich that's not grilled, then use soft white bread.
- Veggies: Tomato, Onions, Cucumber, Potatoes.
- Cheese: Any cheese that melts well will work in this recipe. I used white Mexican cheese, you can use Mexican cheese blend, Cheddar Cheese, Pepper Jack Cheese, or even Amul Cheese. It's best to use grated cheese.
- Chat Masala: You need chat masala or sandwich masala in this recipe. Both work.
- Butter: Butter makes this sandwich so delicious, I prefer using unsalted butter for this recipe. Definitely don't skimp.
- Cilantro Chutney: A must-have. Here's my recipe for Cilantro Chutney. Alternatively, you can use Mint Chutney or a combo of both. This is what makes the sandwich desi, in addition, to chat masala.
Bombay Grilled Sandwich is:
Classic Indian Sandwich
Indian Street Food
Vegan option (see notes)
Gluten-free option (see notes)
How to make Bombay Sandwich recipe step by step?
Tips on making Bombay Grilled Sandwich:
- Make sure you boil the potatoes. You can microwave the potatoes, but boiling them tastes better.
- Use thinly sliced veggies - boiled potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.
- You can use either chat masala or sandwich masala in this recipe.
- You do need a generous amount of butter when making a Bombay Sandwich.
- Be sure to use either sourdough bread or a classic white sandwich bread for this recipe.
- Grill each side of the sandwich for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Cut the sandwich into fours. Serve with ketchup or red chili sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make this recipe vegan and gluten-free?
for vegan: Replace the butter and cheese with vegan butter and vegan cheese. Alternatively, you may skip the cheese completely and use oil in place of butter.
for gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread instead of regular sourdough bread.
2. Grilled Bombay Sandwich vs. No Grill
I like to grill my Bombay Sandwich, however you have the option to not grill the sandwich. If you choose not to grill it, for the best results make sure you use soft white bread instead of sourdough
3. What other veggies can I add to this Indian Vegetarian Sandwich?
To make Bombay Sandwich even heartier, you can add sliced beets and sliced green bell pepper - I've had both variations.
4. Do I need to use Sandwich Masala for this sandwich?
Instead of Sandwich Masala, I just use Chat Masala which is quite similar. You can certainly buy Sandwich Masala from the Desi Store - I've seen it numerous times.
5. What other breads can I use to make this Bombay Sandwich recipe?
To make this Bombay Sandwich recipe or Mumbai Sandwich recipe, I personally love using sourdough bread for sandwiches, not only does it taste great and grills up beautifully, but it also has 8 grams of protein per slice.
You can also use white bread, whole wheat bread, multigrain bread, hamburger buns, or your favorite gluten-free bread to make these delicious vegetarian sandwiches.
More Indian Veg Sandwich Recipes!
- Spinach Chutney Cheese Toastie
- Masala Corn Spinach Toastie
- Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie
- Paneer Sandwich
- Tea Party Sandwiches (Indian-inspired)
Pin & Enjoy!
Bombay Grilled SandwichVegetarian, Vegan option, Gluten-free option
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, per sandwich, more if needed
- spoonfuls cilantro chutney, 4 teaspoon per sandwich
- 2 russet potatoes, boiled & thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Mexican white cheese, ⅓ cup per sandwich
- to taste, chat masala
- Chat masala
- Boil 2 potatoes.
- In the meantime, make the Cilantro Chutney.
- Peel the potatoes. Thinly slice the potatoes, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Take 2 slices of sourdough bread (white bread works too). Spread a generous amount of butter on each slice of bread.
- Top with a layer of chutney.
- Top one slice of bread with potatoes followed by chat masala.
- Now top with tomatoes.
- A generous amount of cheese and chat masala.
- Add sliced cucumbers.
- Top with onion and more chat masala.
- Close sandwich.
- Heat up a grilled castiorn skillet for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Once hot place the sandwich on the skillet.
- Spread butter on top or spray a little avocado oil. Cook for 5 minutes on one side.
- Flip. Spread butter on top or spray a little avocado oil on this side. Cook on the other side for 5 minutes.
- Flip again. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Slice sandwich in half.
Such a perfection. Tried it and loved it so much and now hooked up with it and have been eating daily for past 3 days. ❤️🥰
Awww that makes me so happy to hear. THank you so much for your comment. xoxo
LIPSMACKING & DELISHIOUS!
A perfect grilled sandwich recipe that you must try. My husband and I loved it and it's definitely going to be go to sandwich recipe in my kitchen! It is tasty and so easy to make. I am already planning to invite my friends over and having a sandwich party soon 😁 Thanks Nisha for this recipe! My heart is so happy today❤️
Needed a quick bite! Made this, and wowww mind blown! It is so simple, but yet so flavorful!! Longest part is boiling the potatoes, but absolutely worth it! 🥰
So simple to put together especially if you use have frozen cilantro chutney ready to use. The sourdough bread makes a lot of difference in the recipe. We already had this for two meals in the day.
This recipe was AMAZING and so easy to put together! I even opted out of the butter and potato for a healthier option and to save time on a quick work day lunch, and it tasted great; so, I can only imagine how yummy it must be with all the fixens 🙂 Will definitely be making this again for lunch!
Great recipe. Sandwiches turned out amazing!
This sandwich is delicous! Can you do more vegetarian sandwich recipes?
This sandwich was Amazing!! It was so simple and perfect for a weekday dinner! I made mine extra cheesy. This has a officially made it to our meal rotation!
Hi When you say white Mexican cheese which one ?
If you go to any grocery store, you will see shredded Mexican cheese. It's a combination of cheddar, colby, and jack cheese. If you can't find Mexican cheese, white cheddar will work or you can use pepper jack cheese. Hope that helps.