Go buy your avocado today and make this ASAP! Healthy never tasted so good.
NUTRITION: Avocados are rich in Antioxidants and are a good source of Fiber, Folic Acid, and Vitamins B6, C, E and K. In addition, they help lower cholesterol and contain anti-cancerous properties. Bell Peppers are a great source of Vitamins A, B6, and C. Whole Wheat Bread adds Fiber and Protein to this sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 sandwiches):
- Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – 1 teaspoon (use less if you can’t handle heat)
- Onion – 1 medium (sliced)
- Red Pepper – 1 medium (sliced)
- Salt – ⅓ to ½ teaspoon
- Black Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves – small handful or 2 tablespoon (chopped)
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread – 2 slices per sandwich
- Avocado – 1 (sliced)
- Fresh Lime – just a squirt for the avocado.
1. Start by slicing the onion and red pepper.
2. Heat a pan on medium heat, once hot, add oil and crushed pepper flakes.
3. After 5 seconds or so, add the onion and red pepper. Toss.
4. Season with salt and black pepper. Toss. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes until the onion caramelizes or is golden brown.
5. In the meantime… toast the bread.
6. Slice the avocado in half and slice into long pieces.
7. Chop the cilantro.
8. This is what the sauté mixture should look like. Adjust the salt as need be. Turn off the stove.
9. Add the cilantro and toss.
10. Layer as follows. Take a toasted slice of bread.
11. Top with sautéed onion-red-pepper.
12. Top with avocado slices. Season the top of the avocado with a touch of salt and a squirt of lime juice.
13. Cover with the other slice of bread. Slice in half and serve immediately.
TELL ME: Do you add avocados to your sandwiches? What’s your favorite avocado sandwich combo?