My Mom's Instant Pot Green Moong Dal Khichdi is prepared with rice and whole green gram lentils that are cooked in spices. This dish is perfect when you're sick or just want some comfort food.
As a child, I wasn't a fan of Khichdi. My mom made Khicadi only when someone was sick or had an upset stomach, so I've always associated Khichdi with being food you eat when you're sick. It's good, but it was kinda boring for me as a child.
Now as an adult, I've grown to enjoy khichdi. Khichdi is one of those quick, comforting, and healthy meals you make when you're not in the mood to cook or if you're not feeling well. Also, now that I'm a mom, I'm all about quick easy meals. lol.
Growing up in a Punjabi household, my mom made Green Moong Dal Khichdi which are whole green gram lentils and white rice flavored with lots of ginger and spices. Some regions of India add vegetables to their Khichadi, however in our home, we kept it simple and let the spices truly stand out.
This Green Moong Dal Khichadi is my mom's recipe. I love this recipe and it's perfect on a cold winter day with a hot cup of masala chai.
What is Khichdi?
Khichdi is a combination of steamed rice and lentils with aromatic Indian spices. There are many variations of Khichdi throughout India, and so rarely will two recipes from different regions be exactly the same. This is my Instant Pot Green Moong Dal Khichdi or Punjabi Khichdi.
Green Moong Dal Khichdi is:
- Vegan (skip the ghee, use oil instead)
- Easy to digest, easy on the stomach
Ingredients for Instant Pot Green Moong Dal Khichdi
Ghee: You can use butter or even oil to make it vegan.
Whole Spices: Cumin Seeds, Black Cardamom (moti elachi), Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Cloves.
Asafoetida (hing): Use gluten-free hing if you want gluten-free Khichdi.
Ginger: Chop the ginger and use lots of it.
Thai Green Chilies: I don't use a lot of red chili powder so I love adding green chilies. Feel free to use more or less as per your taste.
Basmati White Rice: I love using Tilda Basmati, first soaked.
Whole Green Gram (green moong dal): You can use split moong, but I prefer using whole.
How to make Green Moong Dal Khichdi recipe step by step?
1. While you prep your remaining ingredients, wash and soak the rice and lentils for about 5 minutes with enough water.
2. Set aside your ginger, green chilies, and spices.
1. In an Instant Pot, set to SAUTE mode. Once the pot is hot, add ghee.
2. Add the spices - cinnamon, black cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf, turmeric, and hing. Saute for 15 seconds.
3. Now add ginger and green chilies. Saute for about 30 seconds.
4. Drain the rice and lentils. Add to the Instant Pot. Cook for 2 minutes until toasty. Turn off the Instant Pot - hit CANCEL.
5. Add salt and water. Stir well.
6. Cover and cook the khichdi on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes, then Naturally Release after 10 minutes.
7. Once done, this is what you should have. The consistency is mushy, but not super flowy. Feel free to add more water for your desired consistency.
8. I added a cup of water and set my Instant Pot to KEEP WARM.
9. This is the consistency I love.
10. Serve with yogurt and achaar (pickle), or a dollop of grass-fed butter.
- Serve Moong Dal Khichdi with a dollop of butter is amazing. It just melts in your mouth. You can also add ghee, but I'm not a fan of eating ghee raw.
- Khichdi also goes perfectly with yogurt and achaar (pickle). It lends a creamy flavor with a salty kick. It's so good.
- Green Moong Dal Khichdi can also be served with papad and/or red garlic chutney.
Tips on making Green Moong Dal Khichdi
- Wash and soak your lentils before starting.
- Prep all your ingredients before starting.
- Follow the instructions exactly as mentioned.
- Let the khichdi naturally release for up to 10 minutes minimum.
- Add water to attain desired consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When to make Khichdi?
- When you're sick
- When you have an upset stomach
- On days you just don't feel like cooking
- When you want something quick and easy
- When you just want comfort food that's healthy and delicious
2. Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes! Simply replace ghee with oil.
3. Can I make Green Moong Khichdi gluten-free?
Use gluten-free asafoetida (hing) to make this dish completely gluten-free.
4. Can I use a Pressure Cooker instead of Instant Pot for Green Moong Dal Khichdi?
As I've shared in the past, I'm terrified of using a Pressure Cooker. It's more old-school and I just can't keep track of the whistles and all. I love using an Instant Pot when making lentils so this Instant Pot Green Moong Dal Khichdi is convenient and so quick and easy.
5. Can I add more water to adjust the consistency?
Yes! Once the green moong dal khichdi was cooked, I add water so it was a bit flowy. Khichdi in our home was made to be flowy, not dry, and so I prefer flowy khichdi.
More Lentils & Khichdi Recipes
- Plain Khichdi - classic recipe
- Green Moong Dal (Sabut Moong Dal)
- Instant Pot Toor Dal
- Spinach Dal Fry
- Tomato Dal / Tomato Pappu - Andhra Style
- Papad wali Dal
📖 Recipe Card
Green Moong Dal Khichdi (healthy)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom moti elachi
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon hing (asafoetida) for gluten-free, use gf hing
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 inches ginger chopped
- 2 Thai green chilies chopped
- ¾ cup basmati white rice washed & drained
- ¾ cup whole green gram green moong dal, washed & drained
- 5 cups water for the Instant Pot
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water optional, after cooked khichdi
- few fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- yogurt & achaar or a dollop of butter
- While you prep your remaining ingredients, wash and soak the rice and lentils for about 5 minutes.
- Set aside your ginger, green chilies, and spices - cumin, black cardamom, cloves, hing, turmeric, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and turmeric powder.
- In an Instant Pot, set to SAUTE mode. Once the pot is hot, add ghee.
- Add all the spices - cinnamon, black cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf, turmeric, and hing. Saute for 15 seconds.
- Now add ginger and green chilies. Saute for about 30 seconds.
- Drain the rice and lentils. Add to the Instant Pot. Cook for 2 minutes until toasty. Turn off the Instant Pot - hit CANCEL.
- Add salt and water. Stir well.
- Cover and cook the khichdi on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes, Natural Release 10 minutes.
- Once done, this is what you should have. The consistency is mushy, but not super flowy. Feel free to add more water for your desired consistency.
- I added a cup of water and set my Instant Pot to KEEP WARM.
- This is the consistency I love.
- Serve with yogurt and achaar (pickle), or a dollop of grass-fed butter.