Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie is a classic toastie and a childhood favorite. This delicious toastie is perfect for brunch, tea time, or as a snack.
I spent the early part of my childhood in Nigeria. One dish that takes me down memory lane with my sister is this veggie toastie.
My sister and I would often make “bread tamatar cheese onion” as we would like to call it. Our house helper would chop up the ingredients for us, and then we would mix the ingredients together.
We would take turns beating the ingredients together until a creamy, cheesy filling would form. I fondly remember the sound of steel dishes clinking together. We would taste the cheesy mixture along the way, it was so hard to resist.
Once done, spread the cheesy mixture on toast and bake it in the oven until the cheese is gooey and melted. Enjoy this toastie with ketchup or Ching’s Red Chili Sauce, and a cup of my Kadak Masala Chai. 🙂
This tomato onion pepper cheese toastie is:
Made on Sprouted Whole Grain Bread
Loaded with Flavor
How to make Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie step by step?
1. Combine all the ingredients, except the bread, into a large bowl.
2. Start mashing with a fork. This will take about 5 minutes.
3. Eventually the cheese mixture will form into a paste.
4. Spread evenly on toast. I used sourdough bread.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place bread slices into the toaster oven on the bake setting for 5-6 minutes until the toast is toasty and the cheese melts. Result.
Pin & Enjoy
Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie (vegetarian, whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1-2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mexican blend cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 3 slices sourdough bread I love Whole Foods Fresh Bakery
- Combine all the ingredients, except the bread, into a large bowl.
- Start mashing with a fork. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Eventually the cheese mixture will form into a paste.
- Spread evenly on toast.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread slices into the toaster oven on bake setting for 5-6 minutes until the toast is toasty and the cheese melts. Result.