Cheese Chutney Corn Toastie is prepared on sourdough bread and topped with cilantro chutney, veggies, cheese, and crushed red pepper.
When in doubt, I love to make toasties, especially those with chutney. Chutney Toasties are one of the first things I started making as a kid.
Growing up, whenever I came home from school and my mom wasn't around, I'd make myself chutney toasties. There was always a jar of red or green chutney in the fridge, so it was so easy to put together.
Literally, just take some bread, slather on some chutney, top with cheese, and add whatever veggies you have on hand, and it's so good.
I've made my fair share of chutney toasties and sandwiches over the years, and some of my favorites are Indian Tea Party Sandwiches, Masala Corn spinach Toastie, Spinach Chutney Cheese Toastie, and Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie. They're all so good.
Today I'm sharing another classic favorite - Cheese Chutney Corn Toasties. Hope you guys give this one a try.
What is Chutney Cheese Corn Toastie?
A Chutney Cheese Corn Toastie is a slice of sourdough bread topped with chutney, veggies, and cheese. Here for veggies, I'm using a combo of bell peppers, red onions, and corn. For cheese, I'm using Pepper Jack Cheese, but you can use any cheese that melts well.
It's simple and so good.
Chutney Cheese Corn Toastie is:
Hits the Spot
Quick & Easy
Ingredients for Chutney Cheese Corn Toastie:
Sourdough Bread: I personally love using sourdough bread, but feel free to use any bread you like that holds up well. I love rosemary sourdough bread that I purchase from Whole Foods' fresh bakery - it's so good!
Cilantro Chutney: You'll need to make a batch of Cilantro Chutney for this recipe if you don't have some sitting in the fridge or freezer.
Veggies: Corn, Red Bell Pepper, Green Bell Pepper, and Red Onions.
Cheese: I like using Pepper Jack Cheese, but cheddar, Monterey jack, Colby, Mexican blend, or Amul Cheese all work well here.
Spices: Salt, Black Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper, and Garlic Powder.
How to make Chutney Cheese Corn Toastie recipe step by step?
1. Add green bell pepper to a large bowl.
2. Followed by red bell pepper.
3. Frozen corn that's been run under warm water, and drained.
4. Chopped red onions.
5. Salt and black pepper.
6. Mix well.
1. Top sourdough bread with cilantro chutney.
2. Now top with the corn-pepper-onion mixture - a few dollops.
3. Add 1 ½ slices of pepper jack cheese. You can also add 1 cheese if you prefer, it's really good with 1 ½ though.
4. Place in the toaster oven for 10 minutes (give or take) until it's toasty and the cheese has melted.
5. This is what you should have. Slice in half.
6. Sprinkle garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
One toastie makes one serving and it's pretty filling with cheese on sourdough bread.
- You can add a little cilantro chutney on top as a garnish or fresh cilantro.
- During the fall and winter months, you can serve each toastie with a bowl of soup. This would go well with Fresh Tomato Basil Soup or Quick & Easy Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup.
- This toastie would also pair well with a light arugula salad such as this Beet Salad with Goat Cheese (you can omit the cheese).
Meal Prep Ideas
- You can prepare the veggie mix a few days in advance. Cover it with a tight plastic wrap and it'll last a few days.
- Prepare the chutney a few days in advance, or you can freeze your chutney.
Tips on making Cheese Corn Toastie:
- Make your cilantro chutney.
- Prepare your veggie mix.
- Assemble, toast, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I make this recipe vegan and gluten-free?
Yes. For a gluten-free option, use gf bread of your choice. For a vegan option, use vegan cheese.
2. Can I use 1 slice of cheese instead of 1 ½ slices?
Absolutely! Cheese makes everything better, so I like my toastie with 1 ½ slices of cheese, but feel free to use 1 and spread it out evenly.
3. How can I make this recipe spicy?
For a spicier option, add 1-2 chopped green chilies to the veggie mix. You may keep or omit the crushed red pepper on top.
4. What other cheese can I use in this recipe?
Instead of Pepper Jack cheese, you may use cheddar cheese, Colby jack cheese, Monterey jack cheese, Mexican blend cheese, or Amul cheese. Basically, any cheese that melts well and one that you like.
More Toastie Recipes!
- Spinach Chutney Cheese Toastie
- Tomato Onion Pepper Cheese Toastie
- Masala Corn Spinach Toastie
- Tea Party Sandwiches
- Bombay Grilled Sandwich
Cheese Chutney Corn ToastieVegetarian, Gluten-Free option, Vegan option
for veggie mix
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, rinsed, drained
- ¾ cup red onions, chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 2 dollops chutney
- ¼ cup veggie mix
- 9 slices pepper jack cheese
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Add green bell pepper to a large bowl.
- Followed by red bell pepper.
- Frozen corn that's been run under warm water, and drained.
- Chopped red onions.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Top sourdough bread with cilantro chutney.
- Now top with the corn-pepper-onion mixture - a few dollops.
- Add 1 ½ slices of pepper jack cheese. You can also add 1 cheese if you prefer, it's really good with 1 ½ though.
- Place in the toaster oven for 10 minutes (give or take) until it's toasty and the cheese has melted.
- This is what you should have. Slice in half.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
Pin & Enjoy!
Loved it! Super easy and so much flavorful with too little stuff added, my husband hates bell peppers and he ate it all, that proves it all!
Thank you for such wonderful recipe!