A healthy and refreshing Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula is perfect any time of the year. Peppery arugula with sweet balsamic paired with creamy goat cheese, strawberries, and beets is pure heaven.
It’s true, I despised goat cheese for the longest time. It tasted like feet to me, especially the really stinky ones. I find that people either love it or hate it. My friends who love goat cheese tell me how amazing it is in an omelet, and then I wonder if I'm missing out?
I soon had a change of heart until I tried Trader Joe's Chevre Goat Cheese. The creaminess and tartness of this particular herbed goat cheese are just sensational.
So nowadays I'm all about goat cheese. I love it on salads especially when paired with fruit. The tartness of the cheese combined with the sweetness of the fruit is an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
I also love goat cheese on toast, pizzas, omelets, and so many other dishes. I can't wait to share more goat cheese recipes with you guys.
So if you’re on the fence about goat cheese, you must try this salad immediately, and perhaps it'll change your life too. I never thought I would say this, but goat cheese can be quite wonderful actually.
What is Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula?
Start with a bed of arugula and drizzle some homemade balsamic on it. The sweet balsamic combined with the peppery arugula is delectable.
Then add already cooked beets (I love Organic Love Beets) and strawberries.
Finish it off with almonds, creamy goat cheese, and black pepper.
This combo is peppery, sweet, creamy, tart, and oh so delicious. This combination is so delicious when paired together.
Ingredients for Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula
Beets: I love Organic Love Beets brand that is already cooked. So all you have to do is slice the beets and you're ready to go.
Arugula: Delicious and peppery. You can also use baby spinach if you're not a fan of arugula.
Strawberries: I always use organic strawberries which taste so much better and they're better for you.
Goat Cheese: My favorite one is Trader Joe's Chevre Fine Herbs Goat Cheese - it has herbs on it and it's so delicious.
Almonds: I used sliced almonds without the skin, but feel free to use almonds with the skin.
Balsamic Vinegar: You'll need balsamic to make the vinaigrette which is super easy to make. This is my favorite brand.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Alaways use pure olive oil, not ones combined with other oils. My favorite is this olive oil brand.
Shallots: You will need shallots to make the vinaigrette, alternatively you may use red onions.
Honey: Honey adds a little sweetness to the dressing which is so nice. If you're vegan, then use maple syrup.
Spices: Salt & Black Pepper.
How to make Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula recipe step by step?
How to make Balsamic Vinaigrette?
1. Add all the vinaigrette ingredients to a mason jar. Cover with a lid and shake.
2. Your dressing is ready.
Assemble the Salad
1. Add arugula to a large bowl.
2. Top with all the prepared balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Top with strawberries and beets.
4. Now add sliced almonds.
5. Finish with goat cheese and lots of black pepper.
This delicious Beet Arugula Salad would pair well with a quite a few dishes:
- Some kind of soup. Nothing better than a classic soup and salad.
- Any kind of pizza or pasta dish, one that is on the lighter side since the salad already has cheese.
- Baked pita bread and hummus would be a nice side to this delicious salad.
Tips on making Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula
- Prepare the balsamic vinaigrette first.
- Slice your beets and strawberries.
- Then assemble your salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make this Goat Cheese Salad vegan?
Sure. Simply skip the goat cheese and replace it with vegan cheese, preferably vegan goat cheese.
Additionally, replace honey in the dressing with maple syrup or agave for sweetness.
2. Can I make this salad dairy-free?
Yes! For a dairy-free option, replace the goat cheese with vegan cheese, preferably vegan goat cheese.
You can keep the honey in the balsamic vinaigrette.
3. Can I make this Beet Salad recipe gluten-free?
This Beet Salad is naturally gluten-free.
5. How can I make this Beet Salad with Goat Cheese healthier?
You may cut down on the amount of cheese used in this recipe. Additionally, instead of 3 tablespoon of olive oil, opt for 2 tablespoon olive oil and adjust the proportions in the dressing.
6. Can I add protein to this salad?
Sure. Grilled chicken or fish would pair well with a Beet Salad.
For a vegetarian option, you may also add chickpeas or cannellini beans.
7. How can I change up this salad based on the season?
This salad is super versatile and you can modify the ingredients based on the season.
Here are some seasonal suggestions:
- In the spring, strawberries and almonds are the perfect combinations.
- In the summer, you can use either strawberries or peaches. Peaches and goat cheese pair so well together.
- In the fall, use pecans or pistachios instead of almonds. You can also use grapes, apples, or figs instead of strawberries.
- In the winter, you may use walnuts or almonds. For fruit, opt for oranges or apples. A few pomegranates scattered all over the top would be gorgeous.
More Salad Recipes
- Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad
- Quinoa Taco Salad with Chipotle Aioli
- Quinoa Bhel Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula (vegetarian)Vegetarian, Gluten-free
for balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1 ½ tablespoon shallots, finely chopped, or red onions
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon honey
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper
- to taste salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
for the salad
- 5 ounces organic arugula
- top with balsamic vinaigrette, from above
- 8 pieces organic strawberries, sliced
- 5-6 pieces steamed & peeled beets, sliced
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 ½ ounces Chevre Goat Cheese, crumbled, I love Trader Joe's brand
Make the Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Cover with a lid and shake.
- Your dressing is ready.
Assemble the Salad
- Add arugula to a large bowl.
- Top with all the prepared balsamic vinaigrette.
- Top with strawberries and beets.
- Now add sliced almonds.
- Finish with goat cheese and lots of black pepper.
- Toss and serve immediately.
Pin & Enjoy!