Refreshing and delicious Mango Chickpea Indian Kachumber Salad flavored with lime juice and chat masala. This salad is perfect for the spring and summer season. Pair this nutritious salad with Jeera Rice and an Indian dal or curry.
"So refreshing! Perfect and colorful recipe for summer get-togethers!"
What is Kachumber Salad
Whenever I make Punjabi Chole, Punjabi Rajma, or Dal - Kachumber Salad is a must. Kachumber Salad is a widely popular classic Indian salad that's traditionally made with cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes. This salad is then flavored with chat masala, red chili powder, salt, and lime/lemon.
If you attend any Indian party, there will be some kind of Kachumber Salad on the menu. The citrus (lemon or lime) that's found in this salad pairs beautifully with rice and your choice of Indian gravy.
What is Mango Chickpea Indian Kachumber Salad
Since it's my mango season, my recipe goes a step further as I added mango for sweetness and chickpea for protein. Additionally, I added green chilies and omitted the traditional spices besides chaat masala.
This salad is absolutely refreshing and so good for you.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Refreshing Salad on a Hot Summer Day
- Nutritious & Delicious Salad
- Versatile (add other veggies)
- Vegan & Gluten-free
- Simple Salad for Spring & Summer
Chickpeas: I use organic canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and they work well in this dish. Make sure you drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Chickpeas are a good source of plant-based protein.
Veggies: Red Onion, Carrots, Cucumber, Tomatoes. Make sure you chop all these veggies small, you can also chop them fine, but I prefer small veggies.
Mango: Make sure you use a sweet and ripe mango. Alfonso mangoes work or any sweet mango. Cube the mango into small pieces.
Green Chilies: For this recipe, I omitted red chili powder and opted for green chilies. Chop the green chilies super fine and it'll add a hint of spice without it being crazy spicy. Remember, we are not cooking the green chilies, so fine chopping them is the way to go.
Cilantro: You will need chopped fresh cilantro.
Lime: I love using lime juice in my kachumber salad, but if you have a lemon on hand, that works too.
Spices: Chat Masala and Salt. You can easily find chat masala at your local Indian grocery store or order it on Amazon.
Step by Step - How to Make Mango Chickpea Indian Kachumber Salad
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas.
2. Add cucumbers, red onions, carrots, and tomatoes.
3. Now add mango and cilantro.
4. And finally, add green chilies, chat masala, lime juice, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Mix well.
✔️ Chop everything really small which makes everything super flavorful.
This Mango Chickpea Salad makes a delicious snack, side dish, or light meal.
- Punjabi Chole or Punjabi Rajma
- Any kind of dal works so well with an Indian Salad, such as Masoor Dal, Tomato Pappu/Dal, or this simple Toor Dal Tadka
- Definitely make a side of this Instant Pot Jeera Rice
You can store this vegan Chickpea Salad in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. I wouldn't go beyond that as the salad will not be as crunchy.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a vegan and gluten-free recipe.
You can add corn, peas, bell peppers, cabbage, radish, and more. Add veggies of your choice - the possibilities are endless.
For some greens, spinach would be a great addition to this salad.
Feel free to use black beans, black chickpeas (kale chane), cannellini beans, or red kidney beans in place of chickpeas.
Absolutely! Chickpeas add some fiber and protein which makes this salad more filling, however you can always skip them.
Yes. Lemon juice and lime juice can be used interchangeably.
You can add parsley along with a little mint - that combo is delicious. You can also add some dill.
7. Should I serve this salad cold or at room temperature?
Ideally, at room temperature, however you can also serve this salad cold.
For the best mangoes, buy them at your local Indian grocery store. They are the ones you get in India that are juicy and delicious.
More Salad Recipes!
- Quinoa Taco Salad with Chipotle Aioli
- Quinoa Bhel Salad
- Sweet Potato Chaat
- Beet Strawberry Goat Cheese Arugula Salad
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment & rate this recipe. That would mean so much to me. If you’re on Instagram, please tag me so I can see your creations. I'm happy to share and mention you. Thank you!
Mango Chickpea Indian Kachumber SaladVegan, Gluten-free, Healthy
- 15 ounces organic canned chickpeas
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cucumber, chopped
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large mango, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2-3 teaspoon chat masala
- 2-4 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas.
- Add cucumbers, red onions, carrots, and tomatoes.
- Now add mango and cilantro.
- And finally, add green chilies, chat masala, lime juice, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Mix well.
Kat Pierce says
So refreshing! Perfect and colorful recipe for summer get togethers!
Thanks Kat. So glad to hear. Very refreshing. 🙂
Sofia Graf says
Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad is a simple salad recipe, easy to cook but healthy. I often use this salad recipe in mu home. However, I season the salad with melted ghee to add high ghee calories in the food item. Try the recipe and add ghee benefits in it.