Refreshing and delicious Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad flavored with lime juice and chat masala.
Whenever I make chole, rajma, dal, or pulao, Kachumber Salad is a must. If you attend any Indian party, I guarantee you Kachumber Salad will be on the menu along with some kind of dal and rice, of course. The citrus in this salad pairs beautifully with rice and your choice of Indian gravy.
What is Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad?
Kachumber Salad is a widely popular salad in India that's traditionally made with cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes. This salad is then flavored with chat masala, red chili powder, salt, and lime/lemon.
My recipe goes a step further as I added mango for sweetness and chickpea for protein. Additionally, I added green chilies and omitted the traditional spices besides chat masala.
This salad is absolutely refreshing and so good for you.
Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
This recipe is already vegan and gluten-free.
What other veggies can I add to this Kachumber Salad?
You can add corn, peas, bell peppers, cabbage, radish, and more. The possibilities are endless.
For some greens, spinach would be a great addition to this salad.
Tips on making Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad:
The only tip here is to chop everything small. I love salads that have little pieces of veggies as opposed to larger pieces.
Ingredients you’ll need for Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad:
Chickpeas: I use organic chickpeas from a can and they work well in this dish. Make sure you drain and rinse the chickpeas well.
Veggies: Red Onion, Carrots, Cucumber, Tomatoes. Make sure you chop all these veggies small, you can also chop them fine, but I prefer small veggies.
Mango: Make sure you use a sweet and ripe mango. Alfonso mangoes work or any sweet mango. Cube the mango into small pieces.
Green Chilies: For this recipe, I omitted red chili powder and opted for green chilies. Chop the green chilies super fine and it'll add a hint of spice without it being crazy spicy. Remember, we are not cooking the green chilies, so fine chopping them is the way to go.
Lime: I love using lime juice in my kachumber salad, but if you have a lemon on hand, that works too.
Spices: Chat Masala and Salt. You can easily find chat masala at your local Indian grocery store or order it on Amazon.
Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad is:
Versatile (add other veggies)
How to make Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad recipe step by step?
1. Here are all the ingredients you will need.
2. In a large bowl, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas.
3. Add cucumbers, red onions, carrots, and tomatoes.
4. Now add mango and cilantro.
5. And finally, add green chilies, chat masala, lime juice, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Mix well.
Pin & Enjoy!
More Salad Recipes!
- Quinoa Taco Salad with Chipotle Aioli
- Quinoa Bhel Salad
- Sweet Potato Chaat
- Beet Strawberry Goat Cheese Arugula Salad
- Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Mango Chickpea Kachumber SaladVegan, Gluten-free, Healthy
- 15 ounces organic chickpeas can
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cucumber, chopped
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large mango, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2-3 teaspoon chat masala
- 2-4 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Here are all the ingredients you will need.
- In a large bowl, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas.
- Add cucumbers, red onions, carrots, and tomatoes.
- Now add mango and cilantro.
- And finally, add green chilies, chat masala, lime juice, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Mix well.
Kat Pierce says
So refreshing! Perfect and colorful recipe for summer get togethers!
Thanks Kat. So glad to hear. Very refreshing. 🙂
Sofia Graf says
Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad is a simple salad recipe, easy to cook but healthy. I often use this salad recipe in mu home. However, I season the salad with melted ghee to add high ghee calories in the food item. Try the recipe and add ghee benefits in it.