Bean Corn Kachumber Salad is a Mexican spin on the traditional Kachumber Salad. This salad is a combination of tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, black beans, corn, and avocado, along with Indian spices.
I love a good salad, especially one that doesn't involve any leaves. C'mon salads with leaves can be a bit boring, so I love salads loaded with veggies and beans.
I'm continuing my Kachumber Salad Series after how successful my Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad was on Instagram. I loved the sweet and savory combo in my mango version.
This time I went ahead and added black beans, corn, and avocado, so kinda giving it a Mexican spin on the traditional Kachumber Salad. It's packed with flavor and so good for you too!
What is Bean Corn Kachumber Salad?
Bean Corn Kachumber Salad is a Mexican spin on the traditional Indian Kachumber Salad. I love the protein from the black beans and the creaminess from the avocado.
This healthy salad is delicious and loaded with flavor.
Bean Corn Kachumber Salad is:
Packed with Flavor
Perfect as a Meal or Side
Ingredients for Bean Corn Kachumber Salad
Black Beans: I use canned black beans for this recipe, but I always use organic canned black beans. Also, make sure to rinse and drain the black beans well.
Corn: I used frozen organic corn that I rinsed under warm water and set aside to drain completely.
Avocado: Make sure to use a ripe avocado and cube it.
Chat Masala: My favorite brand is MDH.
Red Chili Powder: I'm referring to Indian Red Chili Powder here, not the Mexican version which is a lot less spicy. 🙂 Cayenne Pepper also works.
Lime Juice: Use freshly squeezed lime juice, it makes all the difference.
How to make Bean Corn Kachumber Salad recipe step by step?
1. In a large bowl, add rinsed & drained canned black beans.
2. Add cucumber.
3. Followed by red onions.
4. Then tomatoes.
5. Add rinsed & drained frozen corn. Rinse corn under warm water.
6. Add salt, chat masala, and red chili powder.
7. Mix well. Add diced avocado.
8. Add fresh cilantro.
9. Mix well. Adjust seasonings. Add as a meal or a side. I actually love it as a meal.
To be honest, I love this salad as a meal. It's full of fiber and protein, so it keeps me full for hours.
Additionally, you can pair this salad with Indian dishes such as Toor Dal Tadka or Andhra-style Tomato Pappu.
This delicious salad also pairs well with Mexican dishes such as Keema Tacos or the 7 Layer Burrito.
Tips on making Bean Corn Kachumber Salad:
- Use canned organic beans, rinse & drain well.
- Chop as you go and drop the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Make sure you drain the tomatoes after chopping so the salad isn't watery.
- Use a ripe avocado.
- Use this chopper - it's amazing!
How do I finely chop the ingredients?
Use this chopper - it's absolutely amazing and it speeds up the prepping process.
The chopper also gives you the perfect dice every time so all the ingredients are about the same size.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
This salad is already vegan and gluten-free.
2. What can I substitute for black beans?
You can totally use kidney beans or chickpeas as a substitute for black beans.
3. Can I make fresh black beans?
Absolutely! It's a long process to soak the dry black beans first, but yes, you can totally make the beans from scratch.
4. What other veggies can I add to this salad?
You can add red or orange bell pepper to this salad. I wouldn't add green because I find green bell pepper slightly bitter. You can change up the salad ingredients based on what's in season.
More Salad Recipes!
- Mango Chickpea Kachumber Salad
- Quinoa Bhel Salad
- Sweet Potato Chaat Salad
- Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula
- Quinoa Taco Salad with Chipotle Aioli
Bean Corn Kachumber SaladHealthy, Vegan, Gluten-free
- 15 ounces canned organic black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 ½ cups cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes chopped & drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, rinsed & drained
- 1 tablespoon chat masala, I like MDH
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, substitute cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, add more if needed
- ¼ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, add rinsed & drained canned black beans.
- Add cucumber.
- Followed by red onions.
- Then tomatoes.
- Add rinsed & drained frozen corn. Rinse corn under warm water.
- Add salt, chat masala, and red chili powder.
- Mix well. Add diced avocado.
- Add fresh cilantro.
- Mix well. Adjust seasonings. Add as a meal or a side. I actually love it as a meal.
Pin & Enjoy!
Tess Thomas says
This was an absolute winner when it comes to recipes. and it’s so versatile. The flavors come together so well and they tasted even better the next day. Definitely keeping this in my rotation.
My children loved it. Ironically they call this Indian salsa and eat it with chips. Hey. I’ll take it!!
I even discovered a new kitchen gadget the chopper!
!. Thank you for taking the time to create such great recipes Nisha!!
Hi Tess. Awww, yes this is Indian Salsa and it's amazing with chips. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Greatly appreciate it. Yes, the chopper is amazing - I guess you saw the Instagram Reels. 🙂
Akriti Singi says
Creamy and tasteful. Just love it. Thanks for the receipe.
I loved this salad, it was a party in my mouth! It will be a crowd pleaser for sure! So easy to make yet so healthy and delicious!