Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup is made with canned San Marzano tomatoes and sundried tomatoes. This vegan soup is delicious and the perfect weeknight meal.
During the winter, I love cozying up with a bowl of comforting soup in my blanket. If I'm lucky enough to watch TV without any interruptions, even better. Sharing with you a quick and easy weeknight meal using San Marzano tomatoes.
What is Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup?
Tomato Basil Soup is a delicious and flavorful soup that's perfect for cold winter nights. My version uses canned San Marzano tomatoes which makes it the perfect weeknight meal. Additionally, this is an Instant Pot recipe which means, you literally dump all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and you're done.
Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
This soup is already vegan and gluten-free. There is no need for cheese or heavy cream, trust me! This soup is delicious and full of body without it.
How do I make Tomato Basil Soup with fresh tomatoes?
No problem! Here is my recipe for Tomato Basil Soup using fresh tomatoes. Simply roast the tomatoes and onions in the oven, and then blend them with vegetable stock.
What to serve with Tomato Basil Soup?
- A few croutons on top.
- Simple grilled cheese sandwich or other variations, such as - Bacon Grilled Cheese, Pesto Grilled Cheese, Tomato Grilled Cheese, Chutney Grilled Cheese.
- A light salad.
- A Baked Potato.
How do I make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup?
So if you really want some creamy soup, simply add a little heavy cream towards the end of the dish. Depending on how creamy you like your soup, you can add as little as 2 tablespoon or ½ cup to the entire pot of soup.
Tips on making Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup:
- Saute the spices, onions, and garlic.
- Add sundried tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add some water and cook in the Instant Pot for 15 minutes.
- Finish off with some fresh basil and blend the soup. Garnish and enjoy!
Ingredients you’ll need for Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup:
San Marzano Tomatoes: I highly recommend using San Marzano Tomatoes for this recipe. You can easily find this at any grocery store, including Trader Joe's. Alternatively, you may use crushed tomatoes as well.
Sundried Tomatoes: When buying sundried tomatoes, make sure you use the ones prepared in oil. Again, you can easily find this at Trader Joe's.
Tomato Paste: This adds color and some richness to this soup.
Fresh Basil: Basil will be added once the soup is cooked and beforehand blending the soup. The basil makes such a big difference in the flavor.
Water: You will need water instead of stock for this soup. This way you can control the salt and I just prefer water.
Basics: Onions, Garlic. Two key ingredients are needed which add sweetness to this soup.
Oil: I love using avocado oil, but you may use any flavorless oil.
Spices: Crushed Red Pepper, Dry Basil, Salt, Black Pepper, Bay Leaf, Sugar. Also, there is no need to discard the bay leaf from the soup. A touch fo sugar adds some sweetness to this dish.
Croutons: Croutons are totally optional, but they add a nice crunch to this dish.
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup is:
Perfect for Cold Nights
How to make Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup recipe step by step?
1. Chop the onions and garlic. Open up a can of San Marzano peeled tomatoes.
1. Click Saute mode on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add oil, followed by crushed red pepper and dried basil. Saute for 30 seconds.
2. Now add garlic and onions. Season with salt and black pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes, however make sure the onions don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the sundried tomatoes.
4. Add tomato paste. Saute both for a minute. Hit Cancel on the Instant Pot.
5. Now add the San Marzano tomatoes, water, and a bay leaf. Stir well.
6. Close the Instant Pot and cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes. Let the steam Naturally Release.
7. Once done, this is what you should have.
8. Add fresh basil.
9. Carefully blend the soup using an immersion hand blender.
10. Garnish with croutons, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. You may also add parmesan cheese, but I don't think you'll need it.
Pin & Enjoy!
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil SoupVegan, Gluten-free
for the soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon sun dried tomatoes in oil, I like Trader Joe's
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 28 ounce canned San Marzano tomatoes, or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon sugar/honey
- for garnish
- a few croutons, optional
- parmesan cheese, optional
- fresh black pepper
- Chop the onions and garlic. Open up a can of San Marzano peeled tomatoes.
- Click Saute mode on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add oil, followed by crushed red pepper and dried basil. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add garlic and onions. Season with salt and black pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes, however make sure the onions don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sundried tomatoes.
- Add tomato paste. Saute both for a minute. Hit Cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Now add the San Marzano tomatoes, water, and a bay leaf. Stir well.
- Close the Instant Pot and cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes. Let the steam Naturally Release.
- Once done, this is what you should have.
- Add fresh basil.
- Carefully blend the soup using an immersion hand blender.
- Garnish with croutons, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. You may also add parmesan cheese, but I don't think you'll need it.