To keep myself warm I made a big pot of Vegetarian Chili in my Le Creuset. Sometimes I can’t figure out if I’m more excited to make the actual dish or cook the dish using my Le Creuset.
Once you’re ready to serve, top off the chili with your favorite toppings. You can add scallions, cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips and sour cream. Do NOT skimp on the sour cream, a little dollop makes all the difference. And if you’re vegan, I’m sure there are vegan versions of sour cream out there.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is:
Sweet Potato Bean Chili
- <b>for the chili:</b>
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Organic Sweet Potato – 1 medium small cubes
- Garlic – 4 cloves chopped
- Jalapeno – 1 deseeded and chopped
- Onion – 1 medium chopped
- Chili Powder – 1 tbsp American Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Onion Powder - 1 tsp
- Dried Oregano - 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Organic Unsalted Crushed Plum Tomatoes – 1 28 ounce can
- Red Kidney Beans – 1 15 ounce can
- Black Beans – 1 15 ounce can
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- <b>optional toppings:</b>
- Cilantro – chopped
- Scallions – chopped
- Tortilla Chips – 1-2 chips crushed
- Avocado – diced
- Sour Cream – a dollop use regular or vegan
- Lime Juice – squirt to taste
- Chop a sweet potato into small cubes.
- Chop an onion, a jalapeno and some garlic.
- Heat up a pot on medium heat. Once hot, add oil and sweet potato. Season with a little salt.
- Cook the sweet potato for about 7-10 minutes, or until slightly charred.
- Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno. NOTE: I forgot to add the sweet potato when I made this, so my image is off.
- Once the onion softens, about 3-5 minutes, add the spices... chili powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, garlic powder, cumin powder, black pepper and salt.
- Cook the spices for about a minute.
- Here are the cans I used. Rinse and drain both the black beans and kidney beans.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans and kidney beans.
- Then add the black pepper and stir.
- Now add water. Stir.
- Cover the pot and lower the heat to low-medium heat. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- This is what you should have after 25-30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Allow the chili to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
- In the meantime, chop up the toppings you want to add.
What’s your favorite kind of chili? What’s your favorite condiment on chili?