Vegan Hummus Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is scrumptious and the ultimate vegan sandwich! This healthy vegan sandwich is made with Indian cilantro chutney, Mediterranean hummus, and Italian sun-dried tomatoes.
I'm obsessed with sundried tomatoes because it takes any dish to the next level be it pasta, chicken, rice, or even a simple sandwich like this one.
I wanted to come up with a vegan summer sandwich recipe that's easy to put together. I started recipe testing with hummus and chutney, and then threw in sun-dried tomatoes, and a bunch of veggies until I felt, okay, this is it!
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
Check out my very popular Bombay Grilled Sandwich flavored with potato, veggies, and chat masala. Skip the potatoes, and make this delicious Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich. For an easy no-cook meal, try this Paneer Sandwich with veggies. For a traditional Italian sandwich, try this grilled Pesto Caprese Panini. Looking for some tea time inspo? Try these dainty Indian-inspired Afternoon Tea Party Sandwiches.
What is a Vegan Hummus Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomatoes?
Hummus Sandwich is an easy lunch made on whole-grain bread and is completely vegan. Trust me, you don't need white or sourdough bread because this sandwich is the ultimate sandwich and packed with flavor.
I combined the flavors from India, Italy, and the Mediterranean all into one mouthwatering sandwich using cilantro chutney, sun-dried tomatoes, and hummus respectively.
To begin with toast two slices of bread. Spread hummus on one side and mashed avocado on the other side of the bread. Then add veggies such as baby spinach, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos for spice, and sun-dried tomatoes. Additionally, we will flavor the sandwich with cilantro chutney.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Scrumptious Vegan Sandwich
- It's the ULTIMATE Vegan Sandwich
- Loaded with Flavor
- Fresh & Delicious
- Healthy & Good For You
- Gluten-free option (see Notes below)
- Whole-Grain Bread: I love Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grain - it's the best bread - so good and healthy. You can get a 2-pack at Costco for $8, else check out Whole Foods.
- Avocado: Mash the avocado and season with garlic powder, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, and chopped green chilies.
- Lemon Juice: You'll need freshly squeezed lemon juice for the avocado. Lime juice also works.
- Green Chilies: You'll need green chilies for the mashed avocado. You may also use serrano peppers.
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Salt, and black pepper.
- Fresh Veggies: Fresh Baby Spinach, Cucumbers, Tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes), Red Onions, and Jalapenos.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: You need to use good quality sun-dried tomatoes that are made in olive oil. Both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods sell versions made in olive oil, or check another grocery store.
- Hummus: Store-bought hummus works great. I use Costco's brand which is organic creamy hummus. Of course, you can always use homemade hummus.
- Cilantro Chutney: Here is my recipe for cilantro chutney which is super easy to make and so delicious.
*See the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and quantities.*
- Leafy Greens - You may substitute chopped kale or arugula for spinach.
- Cilantro Chutney - Feel free to use Mint Chutney or Red Garlic Chutney.
- Regular Hummus - You may use Garlic Hummus or Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus.
- Don't Like A Veggie - skip it, however, this will alter the flavor of the sandwich.
How to Make Vegan Hummus Sandwich with Sun-Dried Tomatoes?
Step 1 - Prep
1. Slice cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and jalapenos. (Image 1)
2. Set aside fresh baby spinach. I just use store-bought. (Image 2)
3. Prepare your chutney in advance. I love my Cilantro Chutney recipe. (Image 3)
4. Set aside hummus - store-bought works great. I love Costco's small organic hummus packets. (Image 4)
5. Mash an avocado and season with chopped green chilies, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well. (Image 5)
Step 2 - Assemble Sandwich
1. Take 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread. (Image 1)
2. Spread a generous amount of hummus on one slice of bread. (Image 2)
3. Spread the seasoned mashed avocado on the other side. (Image 3)
4. Place baby spinach leaves over the hummus. (Image 4)
5. Top with sliced tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. (Image 5)
6. Top with sliced red onion. (Image 6)
7. Now top with sliced jalapenos. (Image 7)
8. And now the best part - add the sun-dried tomatoes (prepared in olive oil). This truly elevates the flavor of the sandwich. (Image 8)
9. Top with sliced cucumbers. (Image 9)
TIP: For a slightly sweet flavor, add a drizzle of sweet balsamic vinegar over the cucumbers.
10. Finally, add a dollop of cilantro chutney over the avocado. This too adds a ton of flavor. (Image 10)
11. Close the sandwich. (Image 11)
12. Slice in half and enjoy your avocado and hummus sandwich! It's absolutely incredible! (Image 12)
✓ Thinly slice veggies for the best results.
✓ Use sun-dried tomatoes prepared in olive oil.
✓ Make sure you season the avocado and add green chilies for spice and flavor.
✓ Store-bought hummus works great, but homemade hummus works well too!
✓ Prepare the Cilantro Chutney in advance.
✓ For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free sliced bread.
→ A simple arugula salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
→ Any soup, such as this Tomato Basil Soup.
→ Your favorite snack - chips, crackers, or whatever you like.
- Store the veggies in an airtight container so you can make a fresh sandwich when you want to. The veggies should stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Store the cilantro chutney in an airtight container as well to retain freshness. The chutney will stay fresh for 4-5 days, or freeze the chutney.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. This recipe is completely vegan.
No. For a gluten-free sandwich, use gluten-free sliced bread.
You may use whole wheat bread, white bread, or sourdough bread.
Shredded carrots, chopped kale, arugula, or green bell peppers would be great additions.
Once you add dairy cheese the sandwich is no longer vegan. With that said, goat cheese or feta cheese would both taste amazing in this sandwich.
Tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment & rate this recipe. That would mean so much to me. If you’re on Instagram, please tag me so I can see your creations. I'm happy to share and mention you. Thank you!
📖 Recipe Card
Vegan Hummus Sandwich
for the mashed avocado
- 1 large avocado mashed
- freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 2 green chilies, chopped
For the sandwich (makes 4 sandwiches)
- 8 slices whole-grain bread toasted
- 140 grams hummus I use the small costco brand
- 1 avocado mashed & seasoned
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 3 roma tomatoes sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 4 tablespoon Cilantro Chutney recipe shared
- 2 jalapenos sliced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Step 1 - Prep
- Slice cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and jalapenos.
- Set aside fresh baby spinach. I just use store-bought.
- Prepare your chutney in advance. I love my Cilantro Chutney recipe.
- Set aside hummus - store-bought works great. I love Costco's small organic hummus packets.
- Mash an avocado and season with chopped green chilies, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well.
Step 2- Assemble Sandwich
- Take 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread.
- Spread a generous amount of hummus on one slice of bread.
- Spread the seasoned mashed avocado on the other side.
- Place baby spinach leaves over the hummus.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, salt, and black pepper.
- Top with sliced red onion.
- Now top with sliced jalapenos.
- And now the best part - add the sun-dried tomatoes (prepared in olive oil). This truly elevates the flavor of the sandwich.
- Top with sliced cucumbers.
- Finally, add a dollop of cilantro chutney over the avocado. This too adds a ton of flavor.
- Close the sandwich.
- Slice in half and enjoy your avocado and hummus sandwich! It's absolutely incredible!
- Thinly slice veggies for the best results.
- Use sun-dried tomatoes prepared in olive oil.
- Make sure you season the avocado and add green chilies for spice and flavor.
- Store-bought hummus works great, but homemade hummus works well too!
- Prepare the Cilantro Chutney in advance.
- For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free sliced bread.