Indian Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich that is made with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, butter, cheese, green chutney, and chat masala on sandwich bread. Enjoy this delicious vegetarian sandwich with ketchup and chutney.
On nights I don't feel like cooking and I just want a quick and comforting meal, I love making sandwiches. Whether it's a simple grilled cheese sandwich, or in this case a Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
This meal is comforting and comes together in less than 30 minutes. You can even prep your ingredients a couple of days in advance.
What is a Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
If you love the classic Bombay Sandwich, then you'll love my Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich. It's a slightly healthier option than the Bombay Sandwich.
This Veggie Grilled Sandwich is made exactly like the Bombay Sandwich but without potatoes. In this Vegetarian Grilled Cheese Sandwich, you'll find cucumbers, tomatoes, green bell peppers, green chutney, butter, chat masala, and cheese.
Bread - For the best results use soft white bread or soft white sourdough bread, such as Rudi's Organic.
Butter - You will need unsalted butter - make sure the butter is at room temperature so it's spreadable. You will need 1 tablespoon of butter to spread on each sandwich (both slices) and another 1 teaspoon of butter to grill the sandwich.
Chat Masala - You can use chat masala or sandwich masala for this recipe. I love MDH Chat Masala.
Green Chutney - I love making my green chutney at home - you can make Cilantro Chutney, Mint Chutney, or a combo of both.
Cheese - I love using sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, but you can use cheddar cheese, muenster cheese, gouda cheese, or even the classic Amul Cheese.
Veggies - Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Green Bell Peppers, Red Onions - all thinly sliced.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy to make
- Cheesy Goodness
- A great way to consume Veggies
- Comfort Food
How to Make Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
1. Slice cucumbers.
2. Slice green bell peppers.
3. Now slice red onions.
4. Slice the tomatoes.
5. Lastly, chop the green chilies.
6. Make your green chutney or store-bought works.
Assemble & Grill Sandwich
1. Take 2 slices of soft white bread. Here I'm using Rudi's organic sourdough bread. Spread butter on both bread slices.
2. Now top each bread slice with green chutney.
3. Top one bread slice with sliced cucumbers and chat masala.
4. Now top with sliced tomatoes and chat masala.
5. Add a slice of pepper jack cheese and sprinkle more chat masala.
6. Top with red onions.
7. Top with green bell pepper and chat masala.
8. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread with the butter side facing up.
9. Now grill the sandwich. Heat up a skillet on low-medium heat until hot. Then add a teaspoon of butter to a pan. Let it melt.
10. Place the sandwich on the skillet.
11. Cover the sandwich with a lid.
12. After 2 minutes flip the sandwich. Cook for 2 minutes on this side.
13. Flip the sandwich again.
14. Now place another heavy skillet on top - this helps the cheese melt.
15. Once done, slice the sandwich in half. Note, your sandwich should be lightly golden brown.
16. Or into fours if you prefer.
17. Enjoy these grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup and green chutney, or whatever else you prefer.
Expert Tips to Make Veg Cheese Sandwich
- I highly recommend using some kind of sourdough bread for this recipe which results in a crispy and delicious sandwich. For this recipe, I used white sandwich sourdough bread.
- Prepare the green chutney ahead of time or use store-bought chutney.
- Thinly slice your veggies.
- Sprinkle chat masala after adding each vegetable.
- Grill the sandwich and place a heavy skillet over the sandwich for the best results.
This grilled vegetable sandwich goes best with green chutney and ketchup. You can also pair this sandwich with fries or a salad.
Spicy sandwich - add more green chilies.
Gluten-free sandwich - use soft gluten-free bread.
Vegan sandwich - skip the cheese or use vegan cheese.
You can store all the veggies in an airtight container and make the sandwich again as needed. I would not make the sandwich and store it as it will get soggy.
Prepare your chutney ahead of time and thinly slice your veggies. Also, make sure your butter is at room temperature.
Yes. Simply use gluten-free bread.
Yes. Replace sliced cheese and butter with your favorite vegan cheese and vegan butter.
You can use red bell peppers, orange bell peppers, or yellow bell peppers. You can also use fresh spinach or kale.
Yes. A panini press, sandwich maker, or electric grill sandwich maker will work.
Yes. You can use any relatively soft bread for this recipe.
Veg Grilled Cheese SandwichVegetarian, Gluten-Free option, Vegan option
- ½ green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 4 slice pepper jack cheese
- 8 slices soft white sourdough bread
- chat masala to taste
- green chutney to taste
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter 1 tablespoon per sandwich
- 4 teaspoon unsalted butter to cook the sandwich 1 teaspoon on the pan
- Slice cucumbers.
- Slice green bell peppers.
- Now slice red onions.
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Lastly, chop the green chilies.
- Make your green chutney or store-bought works.
Assemble & Grill Sandwich
- Take 2 slices of soft white bread. Here I'm using Rudi's organic sourdough bread. Spread butter on both bread slices.
- Now top each slice of bread slice with green chutney.
- Top one bread slice with sliced cucumbers and chat masala.
- Now top with sliced tomatoes and chat masala.
- Add a slice of pepper jack cheese and sprinkle more chat masala.
- Top with red onions.
- Top with green bell pepper and chat masala.
- Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread with the butter side facing up.
- Now grill the sandwich. Heat up a skillet on low-medium heat until hot. Then add a teaspoon of butter to a pan. Let it melt.
- Place the sandwich on the skillet.
- Cover the sandwich with a lid.
- After 2 minutes flip the sandwich. Cook for 2 minutes on this side.
- Flip the sandwich again.
- Now place another heavy skillet on top - this helps the cheese melt.
- Once done, slice the sandwich in half. Note, your sandwich should be lightly golden brown.
- Or into fours if you prefer.
- Enjoy these grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup and green chutney, or whatever else you prefer.