Veggie Pizza Skillet Eggs are inspired by the Middle Eastern dish - Shakshuka. These skillet eggs taste like a veggie pizza topped with eggs. A delicious and hearty breakfast.
Ever since I learned how to make the Israeli dish - Shakshuka, I felt inspired to make a Pizza version of it.
We’ve seen eggs on a pizza crust for brunch, so why not eggs on just veggies and marinara sauce?
This dish is loaded with veggies… peppers, onions, mushrooms, jalapeno, spinach and olives. Feel free to add any other veggies you like… artichokes and kale would be wonderful additions to this dish.
I topped this dish with a good marinara sauce, but you can always make your own.
Crack the eggs over the sauce, and then steam them until they are set. Top your pizza skillet eggs with mozzarella cheese and olives.
You can skip the bread completely and go for a low-carb / gluten-free option, but sometimes you gotta live a little and eat the carbs and gluten (or gluten-free bread for those with allergies).
A satisfying brunch where you can simultaneously enjoy the flavors of both pizza and eggs. Enjoy!
📖 Recipe Card
Veggie Pizza Skillet Eggs
for veggie pizza skillet eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 7 buttons shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded & sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt, not too much since olives, cheese, & marinara sauce are salty
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups marinara sauce, I love Rao's brand
- 4 eggs, you can add up to 6
- 10 kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup mozarella cheese
- Oregano - ½ tsp, rub and sprinkle for garnish
- Red Crushed Pepper - to taste
- Slice & chop up the onion, peppers, jalapeno, and mushrooms.
- This is what you should have.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet on medium heat, once hot add oil. Add the mushrooms and cook them for about 5 minutes until slightly brown.
- Add the peppers, onions, jalapeno, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes until the onions and peppers are translucent.
- Add the fresh spinach leaves.
- The spinach will wilt down in about a minute.
- Add the sauce at this time. Stir.
- Cover with a lid and allow the sauce to heat up for about 5 minutes.
- Now make 4 wells.
- Crack an egg in each well. You can use up to 6 eggs, I used 4.
- Cover with a lid and the steam will cook the eggs. I cooked mine for about 7 minutes since I don't like runny eggs. For runny eggs, cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice the olives and get your mozzarella cheese ready.
- Eggs are done. Top with olives and cheese.
- Cover with a lid for a 1-2 minutes until cheese is set.
- Done. Garnish with crushed pepper flakes and oregano (rub between your fingers).
- Serve with bread, pita bread, or alone for a low-carb & gluten-free option.
** For the Eggs - you can use up to 6 eggs for this dish. You can also use egg whites if you prefer a dish that is less fattening.