This Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail is a hot holiday spiced drink flavored with cloves, orange, and cinnamon. So comforting, soothing, and delicious.
This is my last post before I go home for Christmas. It’s been 3.5 months since I’ve been home so I’m so excited. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing my family and friends again, and hitting up those New York City Holiday Markets. Hello, No Chewing Allowed Hot Chocolate. So. Excited!
Find more Christmas recipes here. Happy Holidays and wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
What is Winter Wassail?
Winter Wassail is a holiday drink that you can find at Trader Joe’s, it’s a seasonal item so expect to find it in November and December. It’s sweetened with black currant, apple juice, lemon juice, and flavored with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, and orange peel. It’s delicious and screams the holidays!
Tips on making Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail
Now let’s talk about how I made this delicious cocktail for my 2nd Annual Holiday Party in California and it was a huge hit amongst my guests. I ended up making two batches because everyone kept going back for seconds.
First, you need to buy the Winter Wassail spice holiday drink from Trader Joe’s. Heat up the drink along with rum, some additional spices in a large dutch cast iron and bring it to a boil. Serve hot. One sip will warm your soul… it’s so comforting and soothing.
What other alcohol can I use besides Captain Morgan?
Whatever alcohol you decide on, start with a half cup and then work your way up to one cup, or as needed.
My recipe has only been tested with spiced Captain Morgan and I’ve added one cup total.
Can I make a Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail without alcohol?
Absolutely! The Spiced Captain Morgan Rum is nice in here, but you can totally skip the alcohol altogether and just flavor it with the spices in the recipe below.
5 Ingredients you’ll need for the Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail:
Winter Wassail Punch: You can find this at Trader Joe’s during the holiday season.
Cinnamon Sticks: Use good quality cinnamon sticks for this recipe, I always prefer organic.
Cloves: This adds so much warmth to this recipe.
Orange Slices: You’ll need some fresh oranges for this one. Simply slice the oranges and throw them in.
Spiced Captain Morgan Rum: As mentioned above, you will need the spiced rum in this recipe. You may also skip the alcohol.
Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail is:
Warm & Comforting
Perfect on Christmas Eve
How to make a Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail recipe step by step?
1. Add the Trader Joe’s Winter Wassail drink to a dutch oven. Alternatively, you can also use a large stainless steel pot that’s about 3 quarts.
2. Turn on the stove on medium heat. Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, and slices from half an orange (about 4 orange slices). Also, add spiced bacardi rum. Stir.
3. Reduce heat to low-medium. Cover and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Keep checking in between.
4. After 15-20 minutes, your holiday cocktail should be bubbling. If it needs to heat up more, then do so.
5. Garnish with fresh cranberries and more orange slices – sliced in half.
6. Serve hot when your guests arrive. If you want to add more rum on top, go ahead. Enjoy!
More Holiday Appetizers!
- Jalapeno Popper Garlic Bread
- Mexican Stuffed Mushrooms
- Burrata Caprese Crostini
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- 5 Layer Mexican Dip
Pin & Enjoy!
Winter Wassail Holiday Cocktail
for the holiday cocktail
- 1/2 slice of orange
- a few fresh cranberries
- Add the Trader Joe's Winter Wassail drink to a dutch oven. Alternatively, you can also use a large stainless steel pot that's about 3 quarts.
- Turn on the stove on medium heat. Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, and slices from half an orange (about 4 orange slices). Also, add spiced bacardi rum. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Cover and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Keep checking in between.
- After 15-20 minutes, your holiday cocktail should be bubbling. If it needs to heat up more, then do so.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries and more orange slices - sliced in half.
- Serve hot when your guests arrive. If you want to add more spiced rum on top, go ahead. Enjoy!