A delicious bowl of Apple Pecan Pie Oatmeal that’s as good as dessert, but it’s healthy too!
When you love oatmeal so much and marry someone who doesn’t like it, what do you do?
In the beginning of our relationship my husband never expressed his dislike for oatmeal since he saw how much I loved oatmeal.
I think that’s what you call love. 🙂
I’d go about my day, make us oatmeal, and then hand him a pretty little bowl topped with banana, chia seeds, nuts, and peanut butter. He would unwillingly eat it until one day he said, “I don’t really like oatmeal, can I have cereal instead?”
Say whatttttttttttttttt? Cereal over stove top oatmeal? Who wants that?
When I think of oatmeal, I think of health, happiness, and comfort, and thus, I feel good starting my day right.
Seems like my husband doesn’t quite echo my sentiments as he needs some sweetness and a lot of flavor in his oatmeal, and as a result, I had to get creative.
Nowadays, I’m trying to come up with oatmeal recipes that appeal to him, such as this warm Apple Pecan Pie Oatmeal that tastes just like the real thing.
Nonetheless, whatever it takes, it makes my heart so happy watching him eat oatmeal. Health is wealth!
Apple Pecan Pie Oatmeal (gluten free, high protein, high fiber, healthy, almost vegan)
- <b>for the topping</b>
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Organic Granny Smith Apple - 1 sliced
- Pecans - 1/2 cup
- Pure Vanilla - 1 tsp
- Pure Maple Syrup - 1 tbsp
- Ground Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- <b>for the oats</b>
- Ghee - 1/2 tsp
- Organic Steel Cut Oats - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1 1/2 cups
- Almond Milk - 1/2 cup
- Ground Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Slice an apple.
- Begin by cooking the topping.Heat up a medium pot, or a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add ghee.
- Add the sliced apples.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Add the pecans and cook for 2 minutes or until slightly toasted.
- Now the vanilla.
- Add now the maple syrup.
- Now, add the ground cinnamon. Mix.
- Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat up 1/2 tsp of ghee and add the steel cut oats.
- Toast them for a couple minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Proceed to add water and cook the oats on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- This is what you'll have, no water behind.
- Once the oats cook down, add almond milk, or any milk you wish.
- Cook and stir the oats until the milk is absorbed into the oats. 2-5 minutes max.
- Add a little more cinnamon and turn off the stove.
- Split the oats into 2 serving dishes, or makes enough for 1 big serving.
- Top with apple pecan topping.
- Drizzle some more maple syrup and sprinkle some more cinnamon on top. So good!
Pin Apple Pecan Pie Oatmeal
What are your favorite oatmeal toppings? Does your significant other like oatmeal or not? How do you deal?