Given the chaos going on in the world with the Coronavirus / COVID-19 situation, I've had many requests for creating 30 Vegetarian Pantry Recipes. Since everyone seems to be well-stocked, I'm sure you'll have plenty of these pantry staples in your home already. Most of these pantry meals can easily feed a family of 4, and alll of these easy recipes use some kind of pantry staple.
What is Pantry Food?
Pantry Food staples include food items that have a long shelflife. In case of an emergency situation or possible quarantine situation, these are some pantry staples that you should have on hand.
- For Meals - spices, pasta, rice, quinoa, canned tomatoes, sauces, salsas, tomato paste, broth, chickpeas, black beans, lentils (Indian dal) and oats.
- For Baking - sugar, oils, baking soda, baking powder, white flour, whole wheat flour, oat flour, buckwheat flour, chickpea flour and more. Any flour will do, you certainly don't need all.
- Fresh Vegetables that have a long shelflife - onions, ginger, garlic, and potatoes.
What Foods Can You Freeze?
To extend the shelflife of fresh foods, I will sometimes freeze them. For example, I can't possibly consume a loaf of bread each week, so I simply freeze my bread for a month or two, and you can't tell the difference. Also, because I can't cook every single meal, every single day, I like to buy ready-made frozen food, especially those from Trader Joe's and the Indian Store.
Here are some fresh/frozen foods to have on hand:
- Basics - bread, cheese, paneer, meats, tofu, readymade masala, ginger, and garlic - all of these items can be easily frozen. Bread doesn't require thawing, simply place the bread from the freezer into the toaster oven and it's perfect.
- Frozen Veggies - frozen corn, frozen peas, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen chopped spinach.
- Frozen Fruits - mango, strawberries, blueberries, cherries for your smoothies.
- Trader Joe's offers great frozen meals - veggie burgers black beans & roasted corn and Thai sweet chili veggie burgers.
- Indian Frozen Foods - rotis, parathas, naan, masala dosa, khaman, muthiya, patra, and vegetable samosas.
30 Vegetarian Pantry Recipes
1. Black Bean Enchilada Pasta
(pasta, enchilada sauce, black beans)
2. Quinoa Bhel Salad
(quinoa, chickpeas, potato, peanuts)
3. Sweet Potato Bean Chili
(kidney beans, sweet potato, crushed tomatoes)
4. Spaghetti Vegetarian Quinoa Meatballs
(pasta, quinoa, marinara sauce)
5. Baked Falafel Pita Sandwich
(chickpeas, pita bread)
6. Buffalo Veggie Lovers Nachos
(tortilla chips, hot wing sauce/enchilada sauce/jarred salsa)
7. Chana Pulao
8. Mexican Enchilada Pizza
(store-bought pizza crust, enchilada sauce)
9. Tofu Thai Curry
(brown rice, tofu, canned chestnuts, coconut milk, brown rice)
10. Mexican Tortilla Pizza
(tortillas, refried beans, jarred salsa)
11. Sai Bhaji
(chana dal, moong dal - lentils, frozen spinach, rice)
12. Crunchy Tortilla Salsa Mac and Cheese
(pasta, jar salsa)
13. Baked Aloo Chat Tostadas
(baked tostadas, chickpeas)
14. Lightened Mushroom Risotto
(vegetable broth, arborio rice, white wine)
15. Naan Pizza
(naan, marinara sauce)
16. Punjabi Yellow Kadhi
17. Mediterranean Orzo Salad
(whole wheat orzo, chickpeas)
18. Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
(tortillas, refried beans, enchilada sauce, canned green chilies)
19. Quinoa Broccoli Pulao
(quinoa, frozen mixed vegetables, tomato paste)
20. World's Best Spaghetti with Rao's Homemade
(pasta, marinara sauce)
21. Spinach and Black Bean Quesadillas
(black beans, frozen spinach, tortillas)
22. Punjabi Chole
(fresh/canned chickpeas, brown rice)
23. Tikka Masala Pasta
(pasta, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce)
24. Instant Pot Toor Dal Tadka
(split pigeon peas lentils, brown rice)
25. Truffle Butter Mushroom Pappardelle
26. Pudhina Dhaniya Pulao - Mint Cilantro Rice
(rice, frozen peas)
27. Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
28. Mum's Spinach Shells with Broccoli
(pasta, frozen spinach)
30. Peanut Lime Noodles
(pasta, peanut butter, soy sauce)
And that's a wrap! Stay home guys, and stay safe!