Quick and easy Chana Pulao that's flavored with pav bhaji masala, onions, and basic whole spices It's so comforting with yogurt.
After eating samosas and jalapeno poppers at 7 pm, I figured that was a snacky unhealthy dinner and I'd be done for the night, not so fast. My husband was hungry a couple hours later and I figured I'd make something real quick. On a Sunday night, what could be faster and easier than, Pulao? My mom often makes this dish with her choice of spices, I just used Pau Bhaji Masala, trust me, it was delicious!
This dish goes best with yogurt and pickle... YUM!
NUTRITION: Chickpeas are a great source of Protein, Fiber, Iron, and Folic Acid.
- Rice - 1.5 cups
- Water - 3 cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion - 2 medium (sliced)
- Goya Chickpeas - one 15 oz. can rinsed and drained
- Jeera seeds - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 3 (broken)
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon Stick - ½
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- MDH Pav Bhaji Masala- 1.5 tsp
- salt to taste
1. Slice onions.
2. Set aside spices... jeera seeds, mustard seeds, dry red chillies, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
3. Heat a pot on medium heat, add oil, add the spices and turmeric powder. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the onions and salt. Saute until golden. This will take about 5 minutes.
5. In the meantime, wash the rice and set aside.
6. Add the 1 teaspoon of Pau Bhaji Masala to the onions. Mix.
7. Add the washed rice to the onions and combine. Cook for 2 minutes. This will help toast up the rice.
8. Add 3 cups of water and ½ teaspoon of Pau Bhaji Masala. Adjust salt.
9. Add the chickpeas.
10. Cover and simmer on low-medium heat (dial #4) for 20-30 minutes. Keep checking.
11. This is what you should have.... it is DIVINE! You can garnish with coriander leaves, I didn't have any on hand.
This recipe is absolutely wonderful and exceptionally delicious! I saw it yesterday and went home and made it that same evening. Minutes into preparing it, my kitchen was filled with heady aromatic spices! Might kick this one up a bit and add chicken or shrimp (or raisins?). Excellent instructions!
It was yummy. As usual I ended up over eating and its becoming an issue for the lucky hubby!!
thank you, i really appreciate the feedback. yes, try it with chicken, shrimp, cauliflower, broccli, tofu, so many different proteins you can add. i'm glad you enjoyed this!!!
thank you, vs!!
this was delicious! i loved the flavors.(:
Thank you, Jasmin! What a pretty name 🙂
i am a student myself, and your recipe helped alot...just cooking it and double checking your recipe if i missed anything...20 minutes left and thn ill try my first ever chick pea pulao 😀 Thank you so much...
hi.. this recipe is really good.. just that u need to be slightly prepared with the cooked chickpeas, etc.. I added 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp chole masala, and omitted the turmeric.. was really lovely.. thanks for s wonderful recipe.