Taco Bell is my absolute favorite fast food place in the world. Oh stop, don’t judge me for it.
It's a chain I have loved since the age of 14 and the older I got my affinity towards TB only grew stronger.
My most favorite items are the Bean Burrito, 7-Layer Burrito, and Mexican Pizza with Beans! Yes, I usually don't eat meat at most fast foods, it’s my thing.
Since I do watch what I eat most of the time, I can't afford to eat Taco Bell as often as I'd like to, however I am capable of replicating some of their delicious dishes at home.
Recently I whipped up their Mexican Pizza with Beans which resulted in a crispy outer shell by baking the tortilla. This makes a great dish to celebrate Cinco De Mayo!
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Tortillas are a great source of Protein and Fiber. Beans are an excellent source of Protein and Fiber. Tomatoes are a good source of Vitamin A and C. Although high in fat, cheese is an excellent source of Protein and Calcium and should be eaten in moderation.
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 pizzas):
- Whole Wheat Tortillas – 8 tortillas (2 pieces for each pizza)
- Canola Oil – very small amount to glaze both sides of the tortilla
- Old El Paso Refried Beans – 1 (1 pound) can
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 small (diced)
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp (or omit – you don’t really need it)
- Ortega Taco Seasoning – 1 tsp
- Scallions – 1 bunch (chopped)
- Jalapeno – 1/2 a jalapeno (deseeded & finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Whole Foods 365 Organic Salsa – enough to spread over the pizza (demonstrated below)
- Mexican Cheese Blend – enough to cover the pizza …you can use reduced fat cheese
- Sour Cream Reduced Fat – 1 dollop (optional)
1. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Line a tray with foil.
3. Place 2 tortillas on a flat surface and lightly glaze/brush both sides of the tortilla with Canola Oil.
4. Place both tortillas on the foil tray.
5. Once the oven preheats, place the tortillas in the oven for 10 minutes – 5 minutes on each side so they crisp up. You can add multiple tortillas if you have room.
6. In the meantime, make the beans. Empty the contents of the refried beans into a small pot.
7. Add a 1/4 cup of water.
8. Place the pot over a stove on low-heat.
9. In the meantime, chop an onion. Add the onion to the beans.
10. Add the seasonings – paprika, black pepper, and taco seasoning. I don’t think you will need salt.
11. Mix. Wait a couple minutes and once heated thru, turn off the stove.
12. In the meantime, chop the veggies.
13. Check on the tortillas. DON’T TURN OFF THE STOVE. See how they are crispy once baked.
14. Spread a couple dollops of beans over the tortilla.
15. Top off with very little salsa.
17. Place the second piece of tortilla on top. Now top with salsa.
18. Spread salsa again – very little.
19. Top with scallions and tomatoes.
20. Add just about 1/2 to 1 tsp of deseeded jalapeno – see how much you can handle.
21. Top with cheese, make sure you get the sides.
22. Using a flat ladle place the Mexican Tortilla Pizza on the foiled tray.
23. See, I made 2. Into the oven for 12 minutes – I like my cheese slightly browned.
24. Cut into 4 pieces and don’t share with anyone!
24. YO QUIERO PIZZA MEXICANA! MUY CALIENTE Y DELICIOSO!
25. Top off with a dollop of Sour Cream (reduced fat) and some Hot Taco Bell Sauce, just cause it's awesome! Yup, I grab a whole bunch whenever I leave TB! My cousin, Ajay, has yelled at me many times for this – WHATEVA!
TELL ME: What's your favorite Mexican Restaurant and how are you celebrating Cinco De Mayo this year?