Scrumptious Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce. The shrimp is seasoned with cajun seasoning and paired with a vegan cream sauce
My husband and I have been married for almost a year now, and it's interesting to see how comfortable we've gotten with each other.
Back in the day when we were dating, I used to get professional blowouts every time he flew out to see me. Since living with him, he now gets to see my hair in its natural form which is dry, frizzy, and curly. I'm not the only one who's gotten comfortable, Mr. Honey What's Cooking has too.
Back in the day, he used to get all dressed up for me, but now all he wears are his black shorts and black tank top - he literally lives in those. For those of you who follow me on InstaStories know I'm not exaggerating.
Ahhh... how quickly things change. With that said, if I had to choose between uncertainty and excitement versus comfort and routine, I would choose the latter any day.
Onto my recipe. Mr. Honey is a huge fan of fish tacos, so I had to make these delicious Cajun Shrimp Tacos for him that are topped with Avocado Cream Sauce. Once you make these, you'll never make any other kind of shrimp tacos again - they are that good. Seriously.
What are Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce?
The shrimp is spiced with cajun seasoning which consists of a bunch of different spices including cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and so much more.
Once seasoned, grill the shrimp to perfection and place it inside a corn tortilla along with some vegan avocado cream sauce and purple cabbage. These tacos are the BEST Shrimp Tacos you will have.
The avocado cream sauce is simply a vegan sauce prepared with avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice, cumin powder, salt, garlic, and water all blended together to form a delicious cream sauce.
Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce are:
Gluten-Free (choose gluten-free corn tortillas)
Perfect Weeknight Meal
Light & Delicious
30 Minutes to Make
Ingredients for Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce
Shrimp: I love using fresh shrimp for this recipe, but you can also use frozen.
Spices: Cajun Seasoning (I just used store-bought cajun seasoning), Salt, Cumin Powder, Cayenne Pepper.
Purple Cabbage: You can also use regular cabbage for this recipe.
How to make Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce step by step?
1. In a medium-size bowl, start by mixing the seasonings for the shrimp... extra virgin olive oil, garlic, cajun creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, and salt.
2. Add the shrimp to the seasoning and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and place the shrimp in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
3. Now prepare the cabbage slaw. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the slaw.
4. Mix and set aside until ready to serve the tacos.
5. Now prepare the Avocado Cream Sauce. In a food processor combine all the ingredients for the sauce.
6. Pulse and blend for about 30 seconds.
7. Sauce is ready, and it's vegan.
8. Take a bunch of corn tortillas and place them in a foil and cover.
9. Place the foiled tortillas in a toaster oven and bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
10. While the tortillas warm up, cook the shrimp. Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Coat the bottom of the skillet with a spray of olive oil. You don't need much oil as the shrimp already has oil. Place the shrimp on the skillet. You will need to do this in 2 batches.
11. Cook the shrimp for 2 to 2½ minutes on each side. Do NOT overcook. Flip. The shrimp will be charred.
12. Remove the shrimp from the skillet, and repeat with the next batch.
13. Shrimp is done.
14. Tortillas should be done.
15. Now assemble. Place cabbage slaw on one half of the tortilla.
16. Place 3 pieces of shrimp on the other side. You can remove the tail at this time.
17. Top with avocado cream sauce.
18. Serve immediately.
Serve these tacos with purple cabbage slaw flavored with lime juice and cilantro.
Also, these shrimp tacos go well with the vegan avocado cream sauce.
You can also serve these with pico de gallo which would be a lovely addition.
Shrimp Tacos pair well with rice and black beans.
Tips on making Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Season the shrimp and refrigerate.
- In the meantime, prepare the cabbage slaw.
- Prepare the Avocado Cream Sauce.
- Warm up the tortillas.
- Saute the seasoned shrimp.
- Assemble Shrimp Tacos and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make this recipe dairy-free or gluten-free?
This recipe is already dairy-free and gluten-free. Just make sure to use corn tortillas rather than flour tortillas.
2. What are some toppings that would go well with Cajun Shrimp Tacos.
In addition to coleslaw and avocado cream sauce, feel free to add pico de gallo to these tacos.
You can also make guacamole instead of avocado cream sauce.
3. What are some sides that would go well with Shrimp Tacos?
Rice and Beans. You can't go wrong with the classic rice and beans. You can also make Mexican Rice if you prefer.
For a healthier option, make a salad.
4. Can I make mango salsa for this recipe?
Yes! Mango Salsa would work great and it's a great option for the summer. Here is my recipe for Mango Salsa used in my Blackened Salmon Tacos.
5. Are these Cajun Shrimp Tacos healthy?
Yes! There is nothing in this recipe that is unhealthy. The corn tortillas are not fried, avocado is good for you, and shrimp is a good source of protein.
More Taco Recipes
- Blackened Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Keema Tacos
- Tandoori Tofu Tacos
- Shredded Tandoori Chicken Tacos
- 15 Minute Fish Tacos with Chipotle Sauce
Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce (gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy)Healthy, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
- 1 pound fresh large shrimp, deveined (~16 pieces of shrimp)
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon no-salt cajun creole seasoning, I used Spice Hunter
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- juice of one lime
- salt to taste
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 avocado
- handful of fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2-3 tablespoon water, start with 2, add more if need be
- salt to taste
- 5-6 tortillas, place them in foil and bake it for a few minutes
- In a medium size bowl, start by mixing the seasonings for the shrimp... extra virgin olive oil, garlic, cajun creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Add the shrimp to the seasoning and mix well. Cover with a plastic wrap and place the shrimp in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Now prepare the cabbage slaw. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the slaw.
- Mix and set aside until ready to serve the tacos.
- Now prepare the Avocado Cream Sauce. In a food processor combine all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Pulse and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Sauce is ready, and it's vegan.
- Take a bunch of corn tortillas and place them in a foil and cover.
- Place the foiled tortillas in a toaster oven and bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- While the tortillas warm up, cook the shrimp. Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Coat the bottom of the skillet with a spray of olive oil. You don't need much oil as the shrimp already has oil. Place the shrimp on the skillet. You will need to do this in 2 batches.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 to 2 ½ minutes on each side. Do NOT overcook. Flip. The shrimp will be charred.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet, and repeat with the next batch.
- Shrimp is done.
- Tortillas should be done.
- Now assemble. Place cabbage slaw on one half of the tortilla.
- Place 3 pieces of shrimp on the other side. You can remove the tail at this time.
- Top with avocado cream sauce.
- Serve immediately.
This looks amazing Nisha! Pinning for later.
You're the sweetest. Thanks so much Salma! xoxo
I made this and it was amazing. Lovedddd the sauce and the shrimp was perfect. I always used to overlook my shrimp. Thanks!!!
Thanks so much for your feedback Jen. Appreciate it. Yes, shrimp can be easily overcooked. 2 minutes on each side max. 🙂
Do you have nutritional data for this recipe? Looks delish!!
HI Mich. I'm sorry, I do not. You can use an app such as myfitnesspal and plug in the recipe and check. I should probably start adding nutrition as well.
So tasty! I will be saving this recipe! thanks for sharing!
No problem Joe. Glad you liked it.
Loved this recipe - shrimp turned out delish and my sister and hubby absolutely loved having this tacos! And hubby asked me to add this recipe in our weekly meals now on! Thank you for sharing awesome recipes!
PS: I love reading your recipe blog with little personal story ❤️
So glad to hear that Rinku. Awww.. i love these shrimp tacos. You're so sweet, thanks for the compliment. xoxo
Thanks for the great recipe. Can't wait to try it
So glad to hear that Patty. 🙂
Preeya Malik says
This recipe is such a crowd pleaser. I have yet to serve it to someone who doesn’t absolutely love it. So good!
This recipe is amazing. I did substitute broccoli slaw instead of the purple cabbage. Hubby loved it.
There were so good! I used beef instead of shrimp and parsley instead of cilantro, but otherwise followed the recipe. Very tasty, even my friend who is not gluten/dairy free loved them. I will say the recipe makes WAY more than 5 tacos, we made 13 and still had slaw leftover. Obviously not a bad thing, but if you want less you could probably cut the recipe in half 🙂
Wow!! My hubby and I like spice so we decided not to de-seed the jalapeno... and man was it delicious!!!!
Yay so glad to hear. I love spice too, my hubby can't handle it. So glad you left the seeds in. xoxo
This is delicious I have made it several times! Question for you! Do you think I can make slaw and cream the day before?? I think I can but wondered if anyone has tried!! Thanks
Hi Nora. Thanks for your comment. Yes you can make the slaw the day before, for the avocado cream, since avocado oxidizes so easily, I recommend making it the same day. 🙂
Thanks for sharing! 🙂