This Daliya recipe is flavored with crushed almonds and cardamom makes a delicious and healthy breakfast. It's also perfect for meal prepping.
My mom makes this daliya recipe so often that it's become a family favorite and our go-to breakfast.
I love it because she flavors it with cardamom and crushed almonds and of course a little sugar. I love enjoying my Sweet Daliya with milk.
What is Daliya?
Daliya is cracked wheat. You can make a sweet or savory version of daliya. This is Sweet Daliya which is flavored with cardamom and crushed almonds. My Sweet Daliya recipe tastes like kheer (Indian rice pudding).
Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
For a vegan option, use coconut oil instead of butter. Also, should you choose to add milk, opt for a dairy-free milk.
For a gluten-free option, you can use steel-cut oats which is a close substitute. Daliya contains gluten.
How do I meal prep Daliya?
Daliya is perfect for meal-prepping. Simply make this recipe as stated. Once cooked, do not add any milk. Simply transfer the cooked daliya with sugar, crushed almonds, and cardamom to a pyrex container. Place the daliya in the refrigerator.
How do I make my Daliya with milk?
Once you're ready to eat daliya, heat it up in the microwave or cook it on the stove. I like to cook my daliya on the stove and add milk (cashew milk) as needed. Also, I prefer my daliya runny. Feel free to use regular milk or dairy-free.
How else can I flavor this Sweet Daliya recipe?
For a more kheer-like flavor, you can add saffron, pistachios, cashews, raisins to this dish.
Instead of sugar, you can use jaggery, but be careful adding hot milk to jaggery as it can easily curdle (I've experienced this).
Do I need to wash the Daliya before cooking?
No. Treat daliya as you would oatmeal, hence you don't need to wash daliya before using it. Simply add the daliya to your choice of fat - I like butter, then saute.
Tips on making Sweet Daliya recipe:
- Roast the daliya in butter until the color changes.
- Add water and cook on High Pressure.
- Once cooked, add sugar, cardamom, and crushed almonds.
- Pour milk on top - optional.
Ingredients you’ll need for :
Daliya (cracked wheat): Daliya is also known as cracked wheat. You can easily find daliya at your local Indian grocery store. Alternatively, you can find daliya on Amazon.
Butter: I love KerryGold unsalted butter, you may use ghee instead, or coconut oil for a vegan option.
Water: Regular cold tap water works.
Sugar: I like using cane sugar for this recipe, but you may also use brown sugar. Additionally, you may use jaggery, however be careful when combining jaggery and hot milk as it can curdle (I've experienced this).
Cardamom: You can easily find powdered cardamom at the Indian grocery store or Whole Foods.
Almonds: You will need ½ cup of crushed almonds. All you need to do is take some almonds and pulse them in a food processor. Do not grind them to the point where it turns into almond butter, but just a few quick pulses will do it. You can easily store crushed almonds in a jar for weeks.
Milk: For this recipe, I like adding milk just before serving. My milk of choice is cashew milk.
Sweet Daliya Recipe is:
Vegan option (use coconut oil)
Perfect for Meal prep
Easy & Quick Breakfast
How to make Sweet Daliya recipe step by step?
1. Hit Saute mode on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add butter (or ghee/oil).
2. Once the butter melts, add daliya.
3. Saute the daliya for 4-5 minutes. The color will change to golden-brown. Hit Cancel on the Instant Pot.
4. Add water.
5. Cook the daliya on High Pressure for 10 minutes and let it naturally release.
6. Once done this is what you should have.
7. Now add the sugar. Mix well. Then add the cardamom and crushed almonds.
8. Top with your favorite milk, I'm using cashew milk here.
Pin & Enjoy!
More Oatmeal Recipes!
- Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Creamy Steel Cut Oats
- Apple Pecan Pie Oatmeal
- Pecan Pie Coconut Oatmeal
- Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal
Daliya RecipeHealthy-ish, Vegan option
- 1 tablespoon butter, or ghee/coconut oil
- 1 cup daliya, cracked wheat
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup almonds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- milk of choice
- Hit Saute mode on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add butter (or ghee/oil).
- Once the butter melts, add daliya.
- Saute the daliya for 4-5 minutes. The color will change to golden-brown. Hit Cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Add water.
- Cook the daliya on High Pressure for 10 minutes and let it naturally release.
- Once done this is what you should have.
- Now add the sugar. Mix well. Then add the cardamom and crushed almonds.
- Top with your favorite milk, I'm using cashew milk here.
Swapnil Sharma says
The best Daliya recipe ever tried and had, easy to make , healthy for the system and loved by all in the family…. 👍👍