Bean Tostadas are a baked flat taco that's topped with refried beans, spinach, pico de gallo, cheddar cheese, avocado cream sauce, and taco sauce. It's the perfect quick weeknight meal.
My husband is obsessed with tostadas!. OBSESSED! He literally asks me to make him tostadas every single week and will even pick up the tostada shells from the grocery store on a weekly basis.
So yes, I try and make tostadas once a week and we generally have enough beans, pico de gallo, and avocado cream sauce to last us another meal. The best part is Krish loves them too, just like his Dad, he loves anything with a crunch.
What is a Tostada?
A tostada is a flat tortilla that is either baked or fried. It is usually made with corn and is essentially a flat taco.
Tostadas are pretty versatile, in other words, you can top them with any kind of protein. I personally love bean tostadas and chicken tostadas, I've also made Turkey Tostadas which are amazing.
Once you add your protein, I like adding veggies to my tostadas - lettuce, spinach for a healthier alternative, pico de gallo. Then I like to top my tostada with some cheese and bake it off in the toaster oven.
Drizzle some avocado cream sauce and taco sauce and indulge. They're so good!
Can I make these Bean Tostadas vegan, gluten-free?
This recipe is already gluten-free since a tostada shell is made up of corn.
For a vegan option, you may omit the cheese or use vegan cheddar cheese for this recipe.
What other Vegetables can I add to these tostadas?
You can add cooked zucchini, cooked eggplant, sauteed broccoli,.. basically any veggie you have on hand, add it.
Where can I find Baked Tostadas?
So here in Southern California, I am able to find Guerrero's Baked Tostadas at Smart & Final, Ralph's, and Albertson's. I have found the fried version at Target, however not the baked. I would try looking for Guerrero's Baked Tostadas at your local grocery store - Shoprite, Acme, Wegman's, etc.
How can I make my own tostada shell?
If you can't find store-bought baked tostadas, simply use a corn tortilla and brush both sides with oil. Bake it in the toaster oven at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway.
What kinds of cheese can I use for this recipe?
For this recipe, I used sharp cheddar, however you may use Mild/Medium Cheddar Cheese, Mexican Cheese Blend, Pepper Jack Cheese, or any cheese that melts well.
Tips on making Bean Tostadas:
- Prepare the refried beans.
- Make the pico de gallo.
- Make the avocado cream sauce.
- Shred the cheddar cheese and chop the spinach leaves.
- Assemble it all. Bake in the toaster oven.
Ingredients you’ll need for Bean Tostadas:
For the Beans:
Refried Beans (canned): I love Trader Joe's Organic Refried Pinto Beans Salsa Style. Any refried beans will work, preferably made with pinto beans.
Onion: Preferably red onion, chopped.
Taco Sauce: I love Taco Bell's Hot Sauce, also love Pico Pica Taco Sauce.
Taco Seasoning: I love Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning and it's a bit spicy. They're all the same so any seasoning will work.
Avocado Oil: Any flavorless oil works.
For Pico de Gallo:
Basics: Tomatoes, Red Onion, Jalapeno, Cilantro, Fresh Lime Juice, and Salt.
For Avocado Cream Sauce:
Basics: Ripe Avocado, Olive Oil, Water, Garlic, Cilantro, Cumin Powder, Salt, and Jalapeno Pepper (for more spice you can use a Serrano Pepper).
For Bean Tostadas:
Baked Tostada: I love Guerrero's Baked Tostadas.
Fresh Spinach: Baby spinach that's chopped.
Cheddar Cheese: I love using sharp cheddar in this recipe.
Taco Sauce: I love Taco Bell's hot sauce, but Pico Pica works amazing and tastes just like Taco Bell.
Bean Tostadas are:
Healthy-ish (if using baked tostadas)
Perfect Weeknight Meal
Quick & Easy
How to make Bean Tostadas recipe step by step?
Make the Refried Beans
1. Heat up a pan on medium heat, once hot, add oil, followed by red onion. Add just a pinch of salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
2. Add refried pinto beans - I like Trader Joe's Organic Refried Pinto Beans Salsa Style.
3. Add taco sauce.
4. Now add taco seasoning and water. Mix well.
5. Cook for a minute. Your beans are ready. Set aside.
Make the Pico de Gallo
1. Add the tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos to a mixing bowl.
2. Now add fresh cilantro, juice of lime, and salt.
3. Mix well. Set aside.
Make the Vegan Avocado Cream Sauce
1. Add all the ingredients of the avocado cream sauce to a mini food processor and blend.
2. This is what you should have. Taste it and adjust salt, lime juice, and spice as needed.
1. Spread beans all over a baked tostada (you may use fried as well).
2. Top with chopped spinach.
3. Top with pico de gallo.
4. Now top with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Keep a close eye to make sure the tostada doesn't burn.
6. Drizzle avocado cream sauce on top and Taco Bell Hot Sauce (or any other taco sauce you like).
Pin & Enjoy!
More Mexican Recipes!
- Taco Bell Spicy Tostada
- Taco Bell 7 Layer Burrito
- Enchilada Bean Dip
- Mexican Pizza
- Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
- Mexican Lasagna
Bean TostadasVegetarian, Gluten-Free option
for pico de gallo
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, with seeds
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup red onions, chopped
- pinch of salt
- 15 ounce can organic refried pinto beans, I like Trader Joe's
- ¼ cup taco sauce, I like Taco Bell's Hot Sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning, I liked Trader Joe's
for avocado sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoon water
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno, with seeds
- Juice of ½ to 1 lime
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
to assemble each tostada, you'll need
- 1 baked tostadas, makes 12 tostadas total
- ⅓ cup spinach, chopped
- 2 spoonfuls of pico de gallo
- 2-3 tablespoon cheddar cheese, shredded, add more if needed
- bake in the toaster oven for 3-4 minutes at 400 degrees
- drizzle of avocado cream sauce
- drizzle of Taco Bell hot sauce
Make the Refried Beans (8 minutes)
- Heat up a pan on medium heat, once hot, add oil, followed by red onion. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add refried pinto beans - I like Trader Joe's Organic Refried Pinto Beans Salsa Style.
- Add taco sauce.
- Now add taco seasoning and water. Mix well.
- Cook for a minute. Your beans are ready. Set aside.
Make the Pico de Gallo (6 minutes)
- Add the tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos to a mixing bowl.
- Now add fresh cilantro, juice of lime, and salt.
- Mix well. Set aside.
Make the Vegan Avocado Cream Sauce
- Add all the ingredients of the avocado cream sauce to a mini food processor and blend.
- This is what you should have. Taste it and adjust salt and spice as needed.
- Spread beans all over a baked tostada (you may use fried as well).
- Top with chopped spinach.
- Top with pico de gallo.
- Now top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a toaster oven at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Keep a close eye to make sure the tostada doesn't burn.
- Drizzle avocado cream sauce on top and Taco Bell Hot Sauce (or any other taco sauce you like).
Neha wani says
Must try recipe!! It was delicious!! Thank you Nisha for sharing it!!
Seema Raniga says
Looks amazing, always looking for vegan options! Thank you so much, I have some mexican Daiya cheese shreds I can use on top!!!!
So glad to hear that Seema. Hope you enjoy it. Do let me know! 🙂