Skip the takeout with greasy ground beef, and make this delicious Spicy Baked Turkey Tostada with all that tender juicy meat and Mexican flavor.
They say the first year of marriage is supposed to be the hardest because you are both adjusting to each other, but for me it was quite the opposite. 🙂
This past year has been eventful to say the least. I spent the first 6 months of our marriage back home in Jersey City before permanently relocating to Southern California in June. My husband was kind enough to give me those 6 months to pack up my life in New York.
Once I did move to SoCal, real life began and it was great. I wasn't looking for a fairy tale, I was looking for a partner who would be my equal and have my back.
The older I've gotten, the more I realize that marriage is much more than the "happily ever after" image we are all taught to believe, instead it's hard-work and commitment. While the big things do matter, it's the little things that you do every single day that truly make a difference.
For one, my husband makes me coffee every single morning. It's such a small gesture, but that alone makes me appreciate him a thousand times more. He also does the laundry because he knows how much I hate to do that lol. He has stepped up and shown me what marriage is supposed to look, be and feel like.
Sure there are many things about him that drive me nuts. When I asked him to pick something about me that drives him nuts he responded, "just one thing?...because they're so many!" Lol. I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to tell you my whining drives him up the wall. 🙂
What I realized is no one and no marriage is perfect, you just have to marry the "right person" to make the journey worthwhile and feel effortless on most days. I was lucky to have found my love and best-friend in one person.
Now let's talk about these Spicy Baked Turkey Tostadas. I made these with ground turkey and spiced them with serrano chilies and Mexican spices. They're so good, BAKED, and are perfect for meal prepping. Both my husband and I loved them. And that's my take on our first year of marriage together.
These Spicy Baked Turkey Tostadas are:
Vegan (optional: skip the cheese)
Perfect for Meal Prepping
📖 Recipe Card
Spicy Baked Turkey Tostadas (gluten-free, healthy-ish)
- 1 ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 serrano chili, seeded (optional for extra spice)
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound organic ground turkey
- 1.5 tablespoon taco seasoning, I used Trader Joe's
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1.5 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, more if need be
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of ½ a lime
Pico de Gallo
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ¾ of a small onion, chopped (or to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
Assemble Each Tostada
- 10 tostadas, I used Guerrero baked tostadas
- couple spoonsfuls ground turkey
- 2 tablespoon Mexican or Cheddar Cheese to taste
- some shredded butter lettuce
- 1 tablespoon pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Mild Taco Bell sauce or any sauce*
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat a dutch oven, once hot, add oil followed by garlic, serrano chilies, and onion. You can omit the chilies if you can't handle heat. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- After 2 minutes, add the spices... taco seasoning, chili powder, cumin powder, onion powder and salt.
- Break up the meat, and cook for 10 minutes stirring in between.
- Once the meat is nicely browned, add the tomato.
- Also add ¼ cup of water.
- There will be a little sticking, so tir and scrape the little bits at the bottom.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the cilantro.
- Ground turkey is ready. Top with cilantro.
- Squeeze lime juice.
- Now make your pico de gallo... add all the ingredients for the pico de gallo into a bowl and combine.
- Assemble. Take the pre-made baked tostadas and top with ground turkey.
- Top with Mexican or Cheddar cheese.
- Top with shredded lettuce, followed by pico de gallo. You can also top with your favorite sauce or I love Taco Bell mild sauce.