Zucchini Carrot Besan Chilla is a savory pancake spiced with Indian spices that's perfect for breakfast with a cup of masala chai. This Besan Chilla is healthy and gluten-free as it's made with gram flour or chickpea flour.
Now that Covid-19 is upon us, and realistically speaking, isn’t leaving us anytime soon, I’ve been spending a lot more time doing the things I didn’t normally have time for. Things like organizing. I’m such a hoarder, but now I have finally made time to organize and put my stuff away. Bollywood movie nights are a thing now! Every weekend my husband and I watch a movie and it's been fun catching up on old Bollywood classics.
Of course, cooking! I cooked a decent amount before the whole Coronavirus, but now I’m cooking almost daily. I’m improvising with the ingredients I have on hand because I no longer have the luxury to go buy what I need. So here's one creation I whipped up based on the ingredients I had at home - Zucchini Carrot Besan Puda Chilla.
What is Puda / Chilla?
Puda also is known as Chilla or Cheela is a savory Indian pancake. Besan Puda is made with chickpea flour, ginger, green chilies, and your choice of veggies. For this recipe, I used grated zucchini and carrots. Puda is best served with green chutney or ketchup, and a cup of masala chai.
Zucchini Carrot Besan Puda is:
A Savory Pancake
The Perfect Brunch
How to make Zucchini Carrot Besan Puda Chilla recipe step by step?
Prepare the Puda Mixture
1. In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour (besan), zucchini, carrots, red onion, cilantro, ginger, and green chilies.
2. Now add all the spices - cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and carom seeds (ajwain).
3. Add water. Start with 1 cup and add another ¼ cup.
4. Mix the batter so its flowy.
Cook the Puda
1. Heat up a castiron skillet on low-medium heat. once hot, add a quarter teaspoon of oil.
2. Pour half a third cup of the mixture to the skillet.
3. Gently spread it out.
4. Try and spread it out so the puda is thin.
5. Add ¼ teaspoon at a time over the puda and spread it out. You don't need more than a quarter teaspoon of oil on top.
6. After a couple of minutes once light bubbles form, gently flip.
7. Nice and golden brown.
8. Puda is ready.
9. Enjoy with green chutney, ketchup, or red chili sauce.
Zucchini Carrot Besan Puda ChillaHealthy, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 2 cups chickpea flour, besan
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds, ajwain
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.25 cups water
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil, divided - ½ teaspoon oil per puda
Prepare the Puda Mixture
- In a bowl, add chickpea flour (besan), zucchini, carrots, red onion, cilantro, ginger, and green chilies.
- Now add all the spices - cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, and carom seeds (ajwain).
- Add water. Start with 1 cup and add another ¼ cup.
- Mix the batter so its flowy.
Cook the Puda
- Heat up a castiron skillet on low-medium heat. once hot, add a quarter teaspoon of oil.
- Pour half a third cup of the mixture to the skillet.
- Gently spread it out.
- Try and spread it out so the puda is thin.
- Add ¼ teaspoon at a time over the puda and spread it out. You don't need more than a quarter teaspoon.
- After a couple of minutes once light bubbles form, gently flip.
- Nice and golden brown.
- Once the puda is ready. Serve with green chutney, ketchup, or red chili sauce.
- Enjoy with green chutney, ketchup, or red chili sauce.
Jyotsna sundaresan says
Yummy!! This was incredibly easy to make and so so yummy! This is going to become a staple in our house
Loved this recipe! I didn't have zucchini or carrots so I subbed spinach, kale and red bell peppers and still tasted great and super healthy!
Loved it added spinach to the mixture. Thanks
I made the besan chilla and served it like pizza to my kids. Just added chopped veggies and make it a little thick so she could eat it like a pizza. Thanks for reminding me about this childhood favorite. Great recipe.
Came out delicious! Used green bell peppers instead of zucchini because that's what i had on hand. Thank you for the recipe Nisha ?
Thanks so much Priya. So glad this tasted good with bell peppers instead. Yup, just use what you have on hand. xoxo
I recently started following you on IG and I love your feed. Your account was a great find during these tough times when I am struggling to make something new every day. I enjoy cooking and your recipes are great. Made this puda today for breakfast and hubs literally finished 90% of what I made.
Lots of love.
This is an awesome gluten free breakfast or lunch option especially with tea/coffee. I added cabbage as well and some corn and the husband ate it with no complaints!! Thank you for adding to my recipe collection for gluten free options.
Made this recipe and it came out delicious! Growing up I never liked puda, and since I saw you post a recipe I wanted to give it another shot...amazed at how easy it was and how versatile the recipe is! It gave me so much appreciation for my mom too, who used to make them for us when she just didn't have the time for a "full" dinner. The fact that even though she was pressed for time she still made us fresh, healthy food amazes me...thanks for bringing those connections to my childhood back. Can't wait to make them for my mom someday soon 🙂
natasha m says
amazing recipe and perfect quantities for an easy, and healthy dinner. i've tried to make savory "pancake" recipes in the past like dosa but have failed terribly. this quantity makes it easy enough to flip and just as delicious. also easy to sneak in some good veggies that you're trying to get rid of.
I tried out Nisha's recipe for our kids and they LOVED it ❤. I experimented by adding one egg to the mixture for protein, it turned out so DELICIOUS! My kids gobbled it away and kept asking for more ??. Thanks Nisha for the amazing recipe!
Bijal Patel says
Loved this recipe - healthy and good! This is definitely going in my recipe book.
I made it without the green chilli cause it was for my kid, turned out great. Thnks for such easy and supertasty recipe.
Love this recipe!!! Mine turned out sooo delicious! I can’t wait to make again. Definately a good way to use up some veggies. Thanks for the recipe 😃
This is my all time favourite recipes from Nisha. quick and delicious to make! love the addition of zuchini and we have even made this when we only had carrots at home!
Joy Davis says
This was delicious! I even made a mango-pineapple chutney to go with it. You're my new find and so far, I've made 3 of your recipes that are keepers.
I've been a vegan for about 4 years now and have made about 600 dishes trying other people's recipes. My go-to has been Connoisseurus Veg and It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken. I'm sure it's over 200 tasty recipes from both I love.
When I get to 100 with your recipes, I'll let you know.
Hi Joy. This is one of the sweetest comments I have ever received. Thank you thank you thank you! I really appreciate it. I hope you get to 100 recipes. Please feel free to leave comments and rate the ones you make - I would really appreciate that. xoxo