“Jal” translates to spicy, “Frezi” translates to suitable for a diet. Jalfrezi is a thick sauce that is typically prepared with onions, peppers, and tomatoes. This dish is often made with Paneer or Chicken, I decided to make this dish with Tofu, a much healthier substitute of Paneer.
NUTRITION: Tofu is an excellent source of Protein for vegetarians. It is also rich in Calcium and Iron. Bell Peppers are a great source of Vitamins A, B6, and C. Tomatoes are a good source of Vitamins A and C.
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Tofu – 14 oz. (cut into small cubes and sauteed)
- Oil – 1.5 or 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Onions – 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 3 (sliced)
- Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Red Pepper – 1 (roughly chopped)
- Green Pepper – 1 (roughly chopped)
- Yellow Pepper – 1 (roughly chopped)
- Plum Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 – 1.5 tsp (I used 1.5 tsp)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – handful (chopped)
- salt to taste
1. Here is the tofu I used.
2. Chop into small cubes…
3. Heat a pan on high heat (dial #7), add 1/2 a tbsp of oil, add tofu.
4. Saute until golden brown.
5. Set aside. Turn off stove. Save the pan.
6. Chop the onions, ginger, garlic, and slice the green chillies.
7. Heat the same pan on medium heat (dial #5), add 2 tbsp of oil, add the mustard seeds, once they start popping…
8. Add the cumin seeds and turmeric powder. Saute for 10 seconds or so.
9. Add the ginger, garlic, and green chillies. Saute for 20 seconds or so.
10. Add the onions. Lower the heat to dial #3. Add salt after 3 minutes, and allow onions to become golden brown.
11. In the meantime chop the bell peppers.
12. Once the onions are golden brown, add the bell peppers. Increase heat to dial #5. Add salt. Combine.
13. Cover and allow this to cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
14. In the meantime, chop the tomatoes. For more gravy, you can go ahead and add an extra tomato.
15. This is what should be cooking after 10 minutes.
16. Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, chili powder, and some more salt. Combine.
17. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
18. Add the tofu, NOT the garam masala ( I accidentally added the garam masala too early ). Combine.
19. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the bell peppers are very very soft, you shouldn’t have to chew on it.
20. In the meantime, chop the fresh coriander leaves.
21. This is what you should have after 5-10 minutes, NOW ADD THE GARAM MASALA. Adjust salt. Stir and cook for a couple minutes.
22. Add coriander leaves and turn off the stove.