Another year older, another year wiser, and a Strawberry Shortcake in a Mug. I look forward to my birthday each year… the texts, calls, emails, and messages on social media.
While I’ve had many happy birthdays, this year will be one of the happiest ones, I can just feel it.
As I sit back and reflect on this past year, I realize timing is everything and things happen when you least expect them to. If someone told me a few years ago how different my life would be right now, I wouldn’t have believed them.
Each day goes by and it feels like nothing has really changed, but as I look back on an entire year so much has changed. I have changed.
My lesson learned this birthday is that I’m going to embrace what life has to offer me, and stop resisting it. Like someone told me the other day, it’s all part of God’s plan, and I need to just trust, have faith and follow my heart.
Alright, I won’t bore you with more deep stuff. To celebrate my birthday on National Strawberry Shortcake Day, a Strawberry Shortcake in a Mug seemed most fitting. This mug cake turned out so moist and delicious, plus it’s gluten-free and refined sugar free. Yup! So good. 🙂
Strawberry Shortcake in a Mug (gluten-free, refined sugar free)
- Organic Coconut Flour - 2 tbsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - just a pinch
- Unsalted Melted Butter - 1 tbsp
- Organic Fat-Free Milk - 2 tbsp
- Organic Maple Syrup - 2 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract - 1/2 tsp
- Organic Egg - 1 medium
- Organic Fresh Strawberry - 1 big chopped
- Rainbow Sprinkles - for garnish optional
- In a mug, combine the dry ingredients... coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the wet ingredients... butter, milk, maple syrup, vanilla and egg.
- Beat until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry.
- Stir using a fork until the batter is smooth and very slightly lumpy. Make sure you get all the flour incorporated into the wet ingredients.
- Top with chopped strawberries.
- Stir gently.
- Into the microwave for 90 seconds.
- Garnish with strawberry and sprinkles, or you can top it with whipped cream, or Greek yogurt.
** for a completely refined sugar free option - omit the rainbow sprinkles, I just added them for garnish for the birthday cake!
Pin for later
What do you look forward to most on your birthday?