Light & airy Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting made with fresh strawberries. It's the perfect summer dessert recipe.
What are Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting?
And now cupcakes! Beverly Hills famed Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes have been on my list for quite some time. They're light, airy, and delicious. The overall effort was about 3 hours, but the results are well worth it.
Can I Reduce the Sugar Content in the Frosting
The cake portion of this recipe was perfect and not too sweet, however the frosting was a bit too sweet for my liking, but many others loved the extra sweetness. Having said that, the frosting perfectly balances out the sweetness in these cupcakes, but regardless I will cut down on the powdered sugar amount to 2 ½ cups instead of 3 cups.
Can I make these Strawberry Cupcakes Gluten-Free?
Yes! Simply replace all-purpose flour with Gluten-Free white flour.
Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting is:
Light & Airy
a Summer Recipe
Perfect with Tea
Gluten-Free option (use GF white flour)
How to make Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting recipe step by step?
Make the Cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line up a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
3. Start by pureeing strawberries. Make sure you puree enough for the frosting as well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients… flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, and ⅓ cup of strawberry puree.
6. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer cream the butter on high speed until light and fluffy.
7. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy.
8. Reduce speed and slowly add 1 egg and the egg whites until blended.
9. Add half the flour mixture to the batter. Mix until well combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
10. Add the milk/strawberry mixture. Mix until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
11. Add the remaining flour. Mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
12. Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out the batter into the cupcake liners.
13. Bake for 22-25 minutes until the top is dry. I baked mine for 24 minutes.
Make the Frosting
1. Cream the butter.
2. Add Confectioners’ Sugar and vanilla extract. Blend for a minute until well combined.
3. Add the puree, but FOLD THE PUREE INTO THE FROSTING else your frosting sort of deflates.
4. YUM! Notice how the frosting deflates a bit. Also, this amount is enough to frost 24 cupcakes.
5. Once cooled, frost!
Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry FrostingVegetarian, Gluten-Free option
for the strawberry cupcakes:
- ⅓ cup pureed strawberries, puree ⅔ cup strawberries - reserve for later
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour*, or use gluten-free white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
for the strawberry frosting
- ¼ cup pureed strawberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, you may reduce to 2 ½ cups
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
for the Strawberry Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line up a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Start by pureeing strawberries. Make sure you puree enough for the frosting as well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients… flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, and ⅓ cup of strawberry puree.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer cream the butter on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Reduce speed and slowly add 1 egg and the egg whites until blended.
- Add half the flour mixture to the batter. Mix until well combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add the milk/strawberry mixture. Mix until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add the remaining flour. Mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until the top is dry. I baked mine for 24 minutes.
for the Strawberry Frosting
- Cream the butter.
- Add Confectioners’ Sugar and vanilla extract. Blend for a minute until well combined.
- Add the puree, but FOLD THE PUREE INTO THE FROSTING else your frosting sort of deflates.
- YUM! Notice how the frosting deflates a bit. Also, this amount is enough to frost 24 cupcakes.
- Once cooled, frost and enjoy!
Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic says
What a sweet tribute to your niece. My two sisters would love this full-fat version of strawberry cupcakes - I should make it next time I see them!
Thanks Bianca. These cupcakes were beyond delicious. This was my first time making strawberry cupcakes and they were awesome.
Jasmin is lucky to have such a sweet aunt! Who can also cook. Best of both worlds. 🙂
Awww.. thanks. I'm luckier... she's a great niece and a good kid. It certainly is nice to be an aunt.
These look delicious!!! Love the pics too.
Thanks Lauren... coming from you, that means my pics must be really good. Haha.
I do not know why every one says do not over mix. Ina also says that. Since you have mentioned in bold letters, would like to know the reason. Have you ever overmixed the cake batter? How was the end results? Just curious.
Cos my mother always do overmix - and the cakes turn out to be extra extra soft, light and tasty. Her butter cakes are the best. Even for chocolate cakes, etc, she uses butter and overmix as usual. She also believed overmixing is bad. But I found overmixed batter cakes were tastier than the other one.
No matter what cake she makes. She sticks to 1 kg butter, 1 kg sugar (less if she is using fruits), 1 kg flour, 20 eggs. Hope you did not faint to see the ingredients. Haha. She beats egg whites and yolk separately and never in her life used baking powder (I know, unbelievable) whenever she bakes cakes / cookies.
Since those cakes were baked in charcoal ovens, I love to eat them hot hot. Sometimes I eat the entire top layer as they can be nicely rolled and removed. Mom had to cover it with frostings 😛 Never tasted such tasty cakes. I always nag her to overmix, so I can eat the raw batter. It is yum. 😀
PS: Nice to see you back. Keep posting regularly please.
@Anonymous - LOL. Your comment made me smile. I believe in the past I have overmixed the batter and the results were usually tough. Nowadays I generally mix the batter just until everything is well combined. I cannot tell you why your mom's cakes turned out extra extra soft, perhaps it doesn't make much of a difference if you overmix the batter when using lots of butter. Butter makes everything taste amazing.
OMG - 20 eggs. 🙂
Thanks for your nice comment, I will keep posting more regularly, I'm leaning in slowly. Lots of good stuff coming. 🙂
There is always room to indulge. That is just part of life and this seems like a very special occasion for it. I am sure your niece really enjoyed her cupcakes :-). Time sure flies by my friend!
Yes, there is. I like that we try to be healthy when possible, but yes, sometimes you need to just bake full-fat. Time flies. 🙂
Ahhh Strawberry m fav!. Looks fantastic. Missed your posts for long...happy that ur back:) Jasmin is lucky to have you in her life.....I have never had anyone bake such yummy stuff for me:(
Strawberry Cupcakes are a new favorite of mine. Thanks Nina.. glad I'm back too. Ohhh.. I think I'm so much luckier than Jasmin. And trust me, no one bakes me yummy stuff either... I indulge in my own homemade baked goods. 🙂
Aww such a sweet post! And what fabulous cupcakes for a fabulous girl. Love that these are ultra strawberry-infused.
Thanks Joanne. Glad you think so. 🙂
Kitchen Riffs says
What a nice thing to do for your niece! And such terrific cupcakes. Love how they look -- they're wonderful! Thanks so much.
Thanks.. these are cupcakes are truly delicious.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says
You sure know how to bond with your niece in the most delicious way! Best Aunt ever 🙂
Haha.. thanks Kiran. I'd like to think that I am.. best Aunt ever!