Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas with your family and/or friends. This time of year is about getting together with the ones you love, and I'm so blessed to be spending Christmas with my family. Whether you are spending Christmas with family and/or friends, I wish you all lots of fun, love, laughter, and joy this Christmas!
And now, here to share with you is one of my favorite cakes which comes to you from Brooklyn’s finest – Piece of Velvet - home to the Red Velvet. I’ve had a fair share of Red Velvet Cakes in my lifetime, and I say with the utmost confidence that no one does Red Velvet right like Cake Man Raven. They describe their version of the Red Velvet Cake as scrumptiously delicious.
I’ve seen so many variations of this cake… made with oil, made with butter, made with oil and butter, but I prefer Red Velvet Cake best when made with just oil. Using oil results in a lighter cake with lots of moistness.
A slice of this cake is pure heaven and I albeit anyone who has tasted the real deal will have to agree. Please make this cake for your loved ones and share the love. Merry Christmas!
NUTRITION: There is no nutrition in this recipe!
MODIFICATIONS I MADE:
- Instead of using Vegetable Oil, I used a healthier Canola Oil.
- Since I didn’t have Cake Flour on hand, I made by own using a combination of All Purpose Flour and Cornstarch.
- Instead of using just 1 teaspoon of Cocoa Powder, I increased this amount to 3 tbsp. I didn’t think 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder was dominant enough in this recipe. After several tries, I believe 3 tablespoon is just right.
- I reduced the frosting amount by just ¼ of the original recipe – I didn’t think all that extra frosting was necessary given the amount of fat in this recipe. Trust me, the amount of frosting I made was sufficient.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 16 slices – which results in insane amount of fat & calories as shown below, so I suggest cutting this up into 24 slices)
- Calories: 590 calories
- Fat: 37 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Carbs: 64 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
SOUTHERN RED VELVET CAKE (mostly adapted from Cake Man Raven with slight modifications)
~ yields 16 slices @ 350 degrees using 2 – 9 inch baking trays
~ fat and calories were NOT reduced in this recipe
*you can use Cake Flour instead of using a combination of All Purpose Flour & Cornstarch.
- *All Purpose Flour – 2 cups + 3 tablespoon
- *Cornstarch – 5 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Cocoa Powder – 3 tablespoon
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Vinegar White Distilled – 1 teaspoon
- Canola Oil – 1 ½ cups
- Red Food Color – 2 tablespoon (or 1 ounce)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease the baking trays with oil.
3. Add the dry ingredients in a bowl – flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
4. Gently whisk and set aside.
5. In another mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients – start with eggs and oil.
6. Then add buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract, and red food color (the entire 1 ounce bottle).
7. Using an electric mixer, slowly blend.
8. This is what you should have… looks yum!
9. Now add the dry ingredients to the wet little bit at a time. Do this in 3 batches.
10. Mix, but do NOT OVERMIX.
11. Your batter is ready.
12. Evenly pour the batter into baking trays.
13. Into the oven for 30 minutes.
14. Allow the cakes to completely cool before frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (FULL FAT) (mostly adapted from Cake Man Raven with slight modifications)
~ yields enough to frost a 2 tier cake
- Unsalted Butter – 1 ½ sticks (or 12 tbsp)
- Cream Cheese – 1 ½ bars (or 12 ounces)
- Confectioners Sugar – 4 cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1 ½ teaspoon
1. Make sure the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. Blend the butter and cream cheese.
2. Add the sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Start frosting.
4. And this is what you should have. You can top the cake with red and green sugar crystals.
OVERALL RATING: 5 / 5
Cake Man Raven's version of the Red Velvet is indeed, scrumptiously delicious! It is my most favorite Red Velvet Cake. It is light, moist, and airy. The cream cheese frosting is perfection and impeccably complements this cake. I promise you, you will not go wrong with this cake if you make it. It is delicious! Thank you – Cake Man Raven!
TELL ME: How did you celebrate Christmas - with family and/or friends? Did you bake anything?