I woke up at 8 am Saturday morning because I had to work till 2 pm, life does suck at times. I wasn't feeling well, but I was craving something sweet and light. My work was on and off so I decided to bake on this cold, windy, and rainy day. I kept thinking what do I need to use up, and I remembered how I had a couple lemons lying around, so I thought, Lemon Cake. I hunted for a recipe and found one that used 1 stick of butter... I knew I had to trim down the fat.
- I used 1 cup of All Purpose Flour and ½ cup of Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. This adds some fiber to the cake without altering the taste of the cake.
- I used 2% milk, and added another ¼ cup to the recipe.
- Instead of 8 tablespoon of butter, I used 6 tbsp. Next time, I plan on using 4.5 tbsp.
- I used 1 cup of sugar instead of ¾ cup, YES, you heard me, 1 cup. I skipped the glaze all together.
- Lastly, I used 2 eggs and 1 egg white.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 12 generous slices)
Calories: 181 cals
Fat: 6.7 g
Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
Carbs: 28 g
Protein: 3 g
Fiber: .67 g
LEMON BUTTER CAKE - REDUCED FAT (inspired by Gourmet)
- All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - ½ cup
- Baking Powder - 1.5 tsp
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Butter - 6 tbsp (room temperature)
- 2% Milk - ¾ cup
- Lemon Zest - zest of 1 lemon
- Eggs - 2
- Egg White - 1
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Vanilla Extract - ½ tsp
3. In a separate bowl, stir the milk, vanilla, and lemon zest.
4. Beat the butter and sugar for 3 minutes until blended.
5. Add 1 egg at a time and blend well.
6. Add the flour and milk mixture in 3 batches, alternating between the two. Start with the flour and end with the flour. DO NOT OVERMIX.
7. Pour the batter into a cake pan. Place the cake in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
9. Garnish with powdered sugar.
OVERALL RATING: ****/5
Texture: The texture of the cake is light, spongy, crumbly, and soft. The next day I felt as though the texture was a bit tough, this is why I gave this cake 4 stars, instead of 5.