Vegan Dalgona Coffee Whipped Coffee is made with equal parts of beaten instant coffee, sugar, and water which is then added to oat milk and blended.
Growing up my siblings and I would make Indian Cappuccino which is essentially the same as this Dalgona Coffee recipe. In India, dalgona coffee is called phenti hui coffee or beaten coffee.
Although I was too young for coffee, I was obsessed with making phenti hui coffee with my three older siblings. We would each take turns beating the coffee mixture by hand because back then having an electric mixer was a novelty.
Beating the coffee would take a good 10-15 minutes and trust me when I say that your hand will get a workout. lol.
Once the coffee was whipped and ready, we would pour hot milk over the whipped coffee and make an Indian Cappuccino. Yes, I already have a recipe for Indian Cappuccino on my blog. It's divine, hope you guys try the hot version and now this cold version.
On a recent trip to Hawaii, I went to this shack called Raised by the Waves in Kahuku. I ordered Vegan Whipped Coffee and it is essentially an oat milk latte made with whipped coffee. The combo of blended milk and coffee over ice was so delicious that I had to just make my own version once I got home.
Sharing with you guys a cold version of Vegan Dalgona Coffee. Hope you guys love it.
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona Coffee originated from Korea and became a Tiktok sensation during quarantine. Everyone and their mother was making Dalgona Coffee at home.
Dalgona Coffee is a combination of equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and hot water. The 3 ingredients are beaten together to form a light & airy whipped coffee.
The whipped coffee is added to hot or cold milk, and it's absolutely delicious.
As mentioned above, in Indian culture we have a very similar coffee called phenti hui coffee, also known as beaten coffee. The technique used in making the Indian version is exactly the same as Korea's Dalgona Coffee.
Vegan Dalgona Coffee Whipped Coffee is:
Refreshing on a hot day
Ingredients for Dalgona Coffee:
Instant Coffee: Do not use regular coffee or espresso for this recipe, you need instant coffee.
Sugar: Don't use any other sugar except white sugar. If you'd like feel free to test out this recipe using coconut sugar or brown sugar, however, the results may vary. Do not use honey or maple syrup or any liquid sweeteners when making Dalgona Coffee.
Hot Water: You need hot water for this recipe before beating the coffee, room temperature will not work.
Oat Milk: I love oat milk in my lattes, but feel free to use almond milk, cashew milk, or even regular dairy milk.
Ice Cubes: I love this refreshing drink with ice.
How to make Vegan Dalgona Coffee recipe step by step?
Make Whipped Coffee
1. Add instant coffee to a large bowl.
2. Add white/cane sugar.
3. Add hot water.
4. Start blending using an electric mixer. Increase the speed as needed.
5. One minute later, this is what you should have.
6. Two minutes later, this is what you should have.
7. One minute later, your whipped coffee should be light and airy. Once the whipped coffee forms stiff peaks, you know your coffee is ready.
1. Add oat milk to a blender. I love Califia Farms Oat Barista Blend from Whole Foods.
2. Add ¾ cup of whipped coffee.
3. Blend oat milk and whipped coffee until smooth and creamy.
4. Pour into cups over ice. Garnish with a little Instant Coffee and enjoy!
Whipped Coffee lasts in the fridge for up to 4 days with no issues. Make sure to place the whipped coffee in an airtight container for the best flavor.
- I love this Dalgona Coffee blended and over ice. It's delicious.
- Another way to serve is simply to add ice to a glass followed by oat milk and then followed by dollops of whipped coffee. Stir and enjoy!
- You can also enjoy this coffee hot - in the Indian culture, we call this Indian Cappuccino.
Tips on making Vegan Dalgona Coffee:
- Be sure to use Instant Coffee, Nescafe works, I actually used Trader Joe's brand
- Use white sugar - this will work best.
- Make sure you use hot water and not room temperature water before blending the coffee.
- Add milk of choice and whipped coffee to a blender and blend.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I make this recipe vegan or gluten-free?
This recipe is already vegan and gluten-free with the use of oat milk.
2. Can I use another milk instead of oat milk?
Absolutely. Almond milk, cashew milk, and soy milk would all work in this recipe.
You can also use regular dairy milk and it'll be just as yummy.
Vegan Dalgona Coffee | Whipped CoffeeVegan, Gluten-free
for whipped coffee (makes 4 servings)
- 3 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon hot water
blend coffee - for 1 serving
- 1 cup oat milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp whipped coffee
- few ice cubes
- sprinkle of instant coffee
Make Whipped Coffee
- Add instant coffee to a large bowl.
- Add white/cane sugar.
- Add hot water.
- Start blending using an electric mixer. Increase the speed as needed.
- One minute later, this is what you should have.
- Two minutes later, this is what you should have.
- One minute later, your whipped coffee should be light and airy. Once the whipped coffee forms stiff peaks, you know your coffee is ready.
- Add oat milk to a blender. I love Califia Farms Oat Barista Blend from Whole Foods.
- Add ¾ cup of whipped coffee.
- Blend oat milk and whipped coffee until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust sugar as needed. Pour into cups over ice. Garnish with a little Instant Coffee and enjoy!