Vegan Basil Pesto is so delicious and versatile, use it on anything, really!
I love making homemade pesto. It's perfect on practically anything. Top it over toasties, toss it in pasta, add it to quinoa, or drizzle it over salmon. The possibilities are endless.
Since I'm constantly using pesto, I figured it's about time I share my recipe and make a post out of it so I can easily refer back to it as needed.
How do you keep pesto green?
Since I added walnuts to my pesto, it won't be as bright green as if you were to use pine nuts.
- I find that lemon juice prevents the pesto from oxidizing.
- Also, throw in a couple ice cubes while blending which stops the oxidation process.
- When storing pesto in the refrigerator, cover the pesto with a plastic wrap and make sure the plastic wrap is touching down on the pesto. This will help keep the pesto green.
What can you use instead of walnuts?
Traditionally, pesto is made with pine nuts which are pretty expensive. I love using walnuts as an alternate, however you may use pine nuts. pistachios, or almonds.
Can you make pesto nut-free?
Absolutely! Instead of using walnuts, feel free to use sunflower or pumpkin seeds which work really well in pesto. I would use the same amount of seeds in place of walnuts, however feel free to add a little more if you wish.
Tips on making Basil Pesto:
- You will need a food processor to make pesto.
- To begin with, pulse the basil and nuts.
- Add most of the other ingredients. Pulse some more.
- Stream in the olive oil while the food processor is running.
Vegan Basil Pesto is:
Just as good with cheese
How to make Vegan Basil Pesto recipe step by step?
1. In a food processor, add fresh basil and walnuts.
2. Pulse a few times until basil is chopped.
3. Add garlic, green chilies, an ice cube, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
4. Pulse until well-blended.
5. Stream in the olive oil while running the food processor.
6. Adjust salt as per taste. Pesto is ready.
More Pesto-inspired Recipes!
- Roasted Tomatoes Burrata Pasta with Pesto
- Pesto Caprese Panini
- Veggie Pesto Flatbread Pizza
- Avocado Pesto Zucchini Noodles
- Caprese Portabello Mushroom Pesto Pizza
Vegan Basil PestoWhole30, Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free
- 3 cups basil
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 green chilies
- salt to taste
- touch of black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 ice cubes
- In a food processor, add fresh basil and walnuts.
- Pulse a few times until basil is chopped.
- Add garlic, green chilies, an ice cube, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Pulse until well-blended.
- Stream in the olive oil while running the food processor.
- Adjust salt as per taste. Pesto is ready.