Spaghetti al Pomodoro – a simple pasta dish that will transport you back to Italy.
It was such a simple dish, yet bursting in flavor and easily the best pasta dish I ever had!
In that moment I told myself that when I return home, I’ll recreate this pasta. That was 7 years ago. Better late than never, right?
Here is Spaghetti al Pomodoro made with fresh tomatoes and garlic sauteed in lots of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Of course I added a healthy twist and used whole wheat spaghetti instead of white pasta, it still tastes amazing.
Top off the pasta with fresh basil and Parmigiano Reggiano (the real thing). I promise you this dish will transport you back to Italy.
This recipe is:
Only 6 Ingredients
Made with Fresh Ingredients
30 Minutes to Prepare
Spaghetti al Pomodoro (whole wheat, vegetarian)
- pot of boiling water
- 1 pound organic whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 fresh basil strands, for cooking
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, sliced in thirds (about 5 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup of strachy pasta water
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 20 leaves fresh basil, julienne
- Start by heating a pot of water.</br></br>
- You'll need 2 pints of tomatoes.</br></br>
- Slice the tomatoes in thirds, my cherry tomatoes were slightly bigger.</br></br>
- That's a lot of tomatoes.</br></br>
- Now chop the garlic and you'll need 2 strands of fresh basil.</br></br>
- Heat a skillet with extra virgin olive oil.</br></br>
- Once hot, add the garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook for less than a minute.</br></br>
- Now add the 2 strands of basil. Stir for a few seconds.</br></br>
- Add all the cherry tomatoes.</br></br>
- Stir. Cook the tomatoes down for about 10 minutes.</br></br>
- Season the water with salt and add the spaghetti to the boiling water. Follow the instructions on the package and cook the pasta until al dente.</br></br>
- In the meantime, grate the Parmigiano Reggiano and julienne the fresh basil leaves.</br></br>
- Check on the pasta, should be done. Make sure you reserve some pasta water for later.</br></br>
- Check on the sauce, Remove the 2 strands of basil.</br></br>
- Add the spaghetti.</br></br>
- Add 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water. Toss.</br></br>
- Add Parmigiano Reggiano. Toss.</br></br>
- Add fresh basil. Serve immediately.</br></br>
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @honeywhatscooking on Instagram and hashtag it #honeywhatscooking.
I love seeing your creations!
Pin Spaghetti al Pomodoro