A fragrant and aromatic Hariyali Salmon flavored with green herbs and Indian spices. So versatile, you can use this marinade for chicken and tofu as well.
I love eating fish especially when it's cooked Desi-style. I try to incorporate fish into my diet on a weekly basis for all its health benefits such as omega-3 fatty acids.
On one particular day when my creative juices were flowing, I thought of making aromatic Hariyali Salmon which is prepared with green herbs and Indian spices. The marinade is versatile and also suitable for chicken and tofu.
The final results were spectacular! Even my picky eater husband who can't seem to handle Indian spices loved this dish. We both enjoy healthy recipes that are not only good for you but delicious too.
What is Hariyali Salmon?
Hariyali means green, and so Hariyali Salmon translates to green salmon. Essentially, hariyali or green marinade is prepared with cilantro, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, tamari (or soy sauce), and Indian spices.
The green marinade is spread all over the salmon and is then baked in the oven until the marinade is slightly browned on top. Serve Hariyali Salmon with veggies and your choice of carb. To keep things healthy, I love salmon with brown rice.
Salmon - You'll need fresh salmon for this dish, my preference is Atlantic Salmon. Additionally, you can swap salmon for Mahi Mahi, halibut, cod, or any fish that can hold up to Indian spices.
Olive Oil - I love extra virgin olive oil which gives this marinade some thickness.
Lemon - You'll need ½ a fresh lemon, you can add a little more if you wish. You'll also need a squeeze of fresh lemon juice once the salmon is baked.
Tamari - Tamari is essentially gluten-free soy sauce. If you're strictly gluten-free, use tamari which is my preference to soy sauce.
Ginger & Garlic - You'll need some ginger and lots of garlic cloves. Let the blender do the work.
Green Chilies - You can use green chilies or serrano pepper for this dish, use as much or as little as you wish.
Whole Spices - Green Cardamom, Cloves, Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Peppercorns, and Cinnamon Stick.
Fresh Cilantro - A handful of fresh cilantro leaves is needed.
Why You'll Love Hariyali Salmon
- Healthy & Delicious
- Quick & Easy Weeknight Meal
- Hariyali marinade is amazing!
- Loaded with Omega-3s
- Good for you
- High in Protein and good fats
How to make Salmon Hariyali step by step?
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add all the ingredients except the salmon into a blender or even a coffee grinder works.
3. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
4. You'll need 4 pieces of salmon.
5. Evenly distribute spoonfuls of the marinade over the salmon, and spread it on top making sure the marinade is not too thick on top. We want the marinade to brown on top. Also, make sure yo get the sides as well.
6. Into the oven for 19-21 minutes - this depends on how much marinade you have on top. The marinade should brown slightly, but don't overcook the salmon!
7. Perfect and crispy. Serve with your favorite healthy grain and veggie of your choice.
Veggies - I love salmon with a side of veggies. For this recipe, asparagus would work well. I like to throw some of that hariyali marinade on the asparagus as well. Bake it along with the salmon - same temperature and time.
Other veggies that would work with salmon are broccoli, spinach, kale, or green beans.
Carbs - I opt for brown rice when it comes to salmon, but feel free to use white basmati. Other healthy grains include quinoa, farro, or bulgar.
Other Fish - Not a fan of salmon, feel free to use Mahi Mahi, halibut, or cod.
Chicken - If you don't want to use fish, go ahead and use chicken instead.
Tofu - If you're vegetarian/vegan, go ahead and use tofu. Instead of baking tho, I would saute the tofu for that perfect sear.
There is no need to marinate the salmon. Simply spread the hariyali paste onto the salmon and bake in the oven.
The salmon should bake for 19 minutes at 400 degrees. You may need to bake it for an extra minute or two - this depends on the amount of marinade you have spread on top, if the marinade layer is too thick, the salmon will need to cook for a longer period. Just make sure you don't overcook the salmon.
More Salmon Recipes
- Honey Glazed Ginger Garlic Salmon
- Salmon Tikka Masala
- Salmon Panang Curry
- Cajun Salmon Pasta
- Blackened Salmon Tacos
- Baked Chipotle Lime Salmon
Pin & Enjoy!
- 1 ½ pounds fresh salmon
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, start with 1 tbsp, add more if need be
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- handful of fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place all the ingredients except the salmon into a coffee grinder. A coffee grinder works better than a food processor.
- Blend and it's a beautiful green paste.
- You'll need 4 pieces of salmon.
- Evenly distribute spoonfuls of the marinade over the salmon, and spread it on top making sure the marinade is not too thick on top. We want the marinade to brown on top. Also, make sure you get the sides as well.
- Into the oven for 19-21 minutes - this depends on how much marinade you have on top. The marinade should brown slightly, but don't overcook the salmon!
- Perfect and crispy. Serve with your favorite healthy grain and veggie of choice.
Looks incredible. Never seen anything like this before. So creative. Gonna be making this.
Made this and it was amazing!!
Thanks Jean. I'm glad you enjoyed it. xoxo
Made this recipe and it came out great! Loved the hariyali flavor. I added a little bit of yogurt for consistency 🙂 would highly recommend!
Nisha, every recipe I have made of yours is a total hit, and this one is no less. I made this for a quick and healthy dinner tonignt alongside baked potatoes and my husband and I just LOVED it! Thank you for always sharing delicious, healthy recipes. I am always so pleasantly surprised by each one 😊
Thanks for your sweet comment Priya. Really appreciate it. So glad you guys enjoyed it. xoxo
Sanna Pradhan says
Nisha, this recipe turn out so delicious everyone in my family loved it . My husband is not a big fan of salmon , he was literally licking his fingers lol
Thank you for sharing this recipe and continue the amazing work you do❤️. Your recipes are healthy at the same time so tasty.
Would definitely recommend this recipe 10/10
Omg Sanna - this is soo sweet. Thanks for saying that. yes, the goal is always healthy and tasty. So glad you guys enjoyed it. 🙂
Searched your trusty blog for a salmon dish and this is the winner! I will try it for a lunch party this weekend. Do you recommend marinating overnight?
Hi Vindya. Awww. thanks! 🙂 No, you don't need to marinate it overnight. Not necessary for this dish. Let me know how it turns out. 🙂
It came out so so well! This recipe is now my go-to for salmon paired with Indian food. Amazing recipe!!
Hi Vindya, I'm so glad to hear that. I also have a Salmon Tikka Masala - hope you give that one a try too. Enjoy!