A fragrant and aromatic Hariyali Salmon flavored with green herbs and Indian spices. So versatile, you can use this marinade for chicken and tofu as well.
I love eating fish especially when it's cooked Desi-style. I try to incorporate fish into my diet on a weekly basis for all its health benefits such as omega-3 fatty acids.
On one particular day when my creative juices were flowing, I thought of making aromatic Hariyali Salmon which is prepared with green herbs and Indian spices. The marinade is versatile and also suitable for chicken and tofu.
The final results were spectacular! Even my picky eater husband who can't seem to handle Indian spices loved this dish. We both enjoy healthy recipes that are not only good for you but delicious too.
Table of Contents
What is Hariyali Salmon?
Hariyali means green, and so Hariyali Salmon translates to green salmon. Essentially, hariyali or green marinade is prepared with cilantro, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, tamari (or soy sauce), and Indian spices.
The green marinade is spread all over the salmon and is then baked in the oven until the marinade is slightly browned on top. Serve Hariyali Salmon with veggies and your choice of carb. To keep things healthy, I love salmon with brown rice.
Salmon - You'll need fresh salmon for this dish, my preference is Atlantic Salmon. Additionally, you can swap salmon for Mahi Mahi, halibut, cod, or any fish that can hold up to Indian spices.
Olive Oil - I love extra virgin olive oil which gives this marinade some thickness.
Lemon - You'll need ½ a fresh lemon, you can add a little more if you wish. You'll also need a squeeze of fresh lemon juice once the salmon is baked.
Tamari - Tamari is essentially gluten-free soy sauce. If you're strictly gluten-free, use tamari which is my preference to soy sauce.
Ginger & Garlic - You'll need some ginger and lots of garlic cloves. Let the blender do the work.
Green Chilies - You can use green chilies or serrano pepper for this dish, use as much or as little as you wish.
Whole Spices - Green Cardamom, Cloves, Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Peppercorns, and Cinnamon Stick.
Fresh Cilantro - A handful of fresh cilantro leaves is needed.
Why You'll Love Hariyali Salmon
- Healthy & Delicious
- Quick & Easy Weeknight Meal
- Hariyali marinade is amazing!
- Loaded with Omega-3s
- Good for you
- High in Protein and good fats
How to make Salmon Hariyali step by step?
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add all the ingredients except the salmon into a blender or even a coffee grinder works.
3. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
4. You'll need 4 pieces of salmon.
5. Evenly distribute spoonfuls of the marinade over the salmon, and spread it on top making sure the marinade is not too thick on top. We want the marinade to brown on top. Also, make sure yo get the sides as well.
6. Into the oven for 19-21 minutes - this depends on how much marinade you have on top. The marinade should brown slightly, but don't overcook the salmon!
7. Perfect and crispy. Serve with your favorite healthy grain and veggie of your choice.
Veggies - I love salmon with a side of veggies. For this recipe, asparagus would work well. I like to throw some of that hariyali marinade on the asparagus as well. Bake it along with the salmon - same temperature and time.
Other veggies that would work with salmon are broccoli, spinach, kale, or green beans.
Carbs - I opt for brown rice when it comes to salmon, but feel free to use white basmati. Other healthy grains include quinoa, farro, or bulgar.
Other Fish - Not a fan of salmon, feel free to use Mahi Mahi, halibut, or cod.
Chicken - If you don't want to use fish, go ahead and use chicken instead.
Tofu - If you're vegetarian/vegan, go ahead and use tofu. Instead of baking tho, I would saute the tofu for that perfect sear.
There is no need to marinate the salmon. Simply spread the hariyali paste onto the salmon and bake in the oven.
The salmon should bake for 19 minutes at 400 degrees. You may need to bake it for an extra minute or two - this depends on the amount of marinade you have spread on top, if the marinade layer is too thick, the salmon will need to cook for a longer period. Just make sure you don't overcook the salmon.
More Salmon Recipes
- Honey Glazed Ginger Garlic Salmon
- Salmon Tikka Masala
- Salmon Panang Curry
- Cajun Salmon Pasta
- Blackened Salmon Tacos
- Baked Chipotle Lime Salmon
Pin & Enjoy!
📖 Recipe Card
- 1 ½ pounds fresh salmon
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, start with 1 tbsp, add more if need be
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- handful of fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place all the ingredients except the salmon into a coffee grinder. A coffee grinder works better than a food processor.
- Blend and it's a beautiful green paste.
- You'll need 4 pieces of salmon.
- Evenly distribute spoonfuls of the marinade over the salmon, and spread it on top making sure the marinade is not too thick on top. We want the marinade to brown on top. Also, make sure you get the sides as well.
- Into the oven for 19-21 minutes - this depends on how much marinade you have on top. The marinade should brown slightly, but don't overcook the salmon!
- Perfect and crispy. Serve with your favorite healthy grain and veggie of choice.