Cajun Salmon Pasta is prepared in a spicy creamy sauce made with coconut milk, red bell pepper, and cajun seasoning.
I'm such a sucker for fish, specifically salmon. I loveeeeeeee salmon. Before I dine at any restaurant, I first scope the menu to see if salmon is on the menu. If it is, that's what I'm ordering.
What's not to love? Salmon is a great source of protein and it's high in omega-3 fatty acids. Nothing better than eating delicious and nutritious food.
So here's a recipe for salmon pasta in a cajun sauce. This delicious recipe is the best of both worlds - combining carbs with a healthy protein.
What is Cajun Salmon Pasta?
Cajun Salmon Pasta is a spicy and delicious pasta dish that's prepared in a creamy sauce. This dish is flavored with garlic, onions, and red bell peppers. Instead of using heavy cream, I used coconut milk which adds creaminess and richness to this dish without super unhealthy fats.
Throw in some cajun spices, pasta, and salmon, and you've got yourself a delicious recipe for Blackened Salmon Pasta that's dairy-free.
Cajun Salmon Pasta is:
- Full of Flavor
- Make a great date night meal (pair with white wine)
- Versatile (use shrimp/chicken)
- Make it Vegetarian (skip salmon, add more veggies)
- Gluten-Free option
- 30 Minutes Cook Time
Ingredients for Cajun Salmon Pasta:
Salmon: I love using Atlantic salmon, but use your favorite kind of salmon. Alternatively, you may also substitute salmon with shrimp or chicken.
Cajun Seasoning: I love Whole Foods Blackened Cajun Spice, however any cajun seasoning will work here. (Here are some good ones - Frontier brand | Fresh Jax | Spice Islands).
Fettuccine Pasta: You may also use spaghetti or linguine. Penne pasta works well too.
Basic Ingredients: Garlic, Onions.
Red Bell Pepper: Red bell pepper is a classic in Cajun cooking. Alternatively, you may use yellow or orange bell peppers, but avoid green bell pepper.
Coconut Milk: Instead of using heavy cream or half n half, I'm using coconut milk here and it works perfectly well. I recommend Chaokoh brand.
Spices: Garlic powder, Paprika, Salt, Black Pepper.
Parsley: Fresh parsley is a must to finish off this dish.
Pasta Water: Pasta water will help create a beautiful creamy sauce and will thin out the coconut milk slightly. You will need ¾ cup to 1 cup of reserved pasta water, maybe more if you wish.
How to make Cajun Salmon Pasta recipe step by step?
1. Start by boiling a pot of water.
2. Chop veggies - chop garlic, onions, and red bell pepper.
3. Cube salmon into 1-inch cubes. Add ½ tablespoon of oil. Season with 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, a pinch of black pepper, and a pinch of salt.
4. Mix well.
1. Heat up a castiron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Now add the seasoned salmon. Cook for 4 minutes.
2. Flip and cook for 4 minutes on the other side.
3. Once cooked. Remove salmon from the pan and transfer it to a bowl. Set aside.
4. Go ahead and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
5. In the same pan, add another 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and cook for a minute.
6. Once the onions are caramelized, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Now add the red bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add the spices - 1 ½ tablespoon cajun spice and a pinch of salt. Saute for 30 seconds.
9. Follow that up with ¼ cup of water. This will prevent the spices from burning. Saute for a minute.
10. Add coconut milk. I love the Chaokoh brand that you can find at the Asian grocery store or Amazon.
11. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes.
12. Add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Stir.
13. Now add the cooked pasta.
14. Toss well. Check for salt.
15. Add ½ cup to 1 cup of pasta water for a creamy sauce. The coconut milk is quite thick so adding the pasta water will help create a creamy sauce. Toss.
16. Add the salmon back in. Gently toss.
17. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Salmon with Pasta would pair well with a simple salad or a side of roasted veggies. Since this dish is rich, I would go with a side on the lighter side.
Tips on making Cajun Salmon Pasta:
- Chop the veggies.
- Season the salmon.
- Cook the salmon.
- Prepare the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta, then salmon.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy your pasta with salmon.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make Cajun Salmon Pasta recipe dairy-free, gluten-free?
This is dairy-free Salmon Pasta since I used coconut milk in this dish.
For a gluten-free option, simply use gluten-free pasta.
2. What kind of Cajun Seasoning should I use?
I love Whole Foods 365 Everyday Blackened Cajun Spice. It's so good.
I also recommend Frontier, Fresh Jax, Spice Islands.
Just make sure that if you're using cajun seasoning with salt, then be careful with how much salt you add to the actual dish.
3. How do I tone down the spice in this Salmon Pasta?
This dish is SPICY! Cajun Seasoning is quite spicy so be careful with whichever brand you choose. Each brand's spice level is different so make sure you try it first and see how much you can handle.
If you want to tone down the spice:
- In the salmon - use ½ tablespoon of cajun seasoning instead of 1 tbsp.
- In the pasta - omit the paprika altogether. Use 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon of cajun seasoning - this all depends on how spicy your cajun seasoning is. Every brand is different.
4. Can I customize this dish?
Yes! Simply replace the salmon with shrimp or chicken - it works perfectly.
5. I'm a vegetarian, what can I substitute for salmon?
For a vegetarian option, I would add some green bell peppers as well. Add ½ a cup of green bell peppers along with the red bell peppers.
I would also add two (maybe three) cups of chopped baby spinach. You'll want to add the chopped spinach after the coconut milk has warmed up, add the spinach at this time and it'll wilt within a minute.
Additionally, I would add ¼ cup of peas - they add color and texture to this dish.
Then throw in your fettuccine and parsley. Toss and enjoy!
6. Other than Fettuccine, what kinds of pasta can I use?
I love Fettuccine Alfredo, so I recommend using fettuccine pasta here.
You can also use spaghetti or linguine - those will work well too.
Penne pasta would work well too, but I find the long and thin-shaped pasta work best.
For a whole wheat option - use whole wheat pasta.
For a gluten-free option - use gluten-free pasta.
7. Does Coconut Milk work just as well as heavy cream?
I used Chaokoh brand coconut milk which is thick and creamy. This coconut milk has a very subtle coconut taste.
Furthermore, you do not need heavy cream for this dish because coconut milk does the job by lending that creaminess and richness to the sauce. I promise you won't be able to taste the coconut either. This recipe is flavored with cajun seasoning so that's what you'll be tasting.
More Salmon Recipes!
- Salmon Tikka Masala
- Hariyali Salmon
- Honey Glazed Ginger Garlic Salmon
- Blackened Salmon Tacos
- Chipotle Lime Salmon
- Salmon Panang Curry
Cajun Salmon Pasta (dairy-free)Dairy-free, Gluten-free option
- 1 pound atlantic salmon, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ Garlic powder
- pinch of Black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- seasoned salmon
cook cajun pasta
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- pinch of salt, to season veggies
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk, I love Chaokoh brand
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces fettucine, cooked
- ¾ cup - 1 cup pasta water
- add salmon
- ¼ cup parsley
- Start by boiling a pot of water.
- Chop veggies - chop garlic, onions, and red bell pepper.
- Cube salmon into 1-inch cubes. Add ½ tablespoon of oil. Season with 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, a pinch of black pepper, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well.
- Heat up a castiron skillet on medium heat, once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Now add the seasoned salmon. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 4 minutes on the other side.
- Once cooked. Remove salmon from the pan and transfer it to a bowl. Set aside.
- Go ahead and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In the same pan, add another 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and cook for a minute.
- Once the onions are caramelized, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the red bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices - 1 ½ tablespoon cajun spice and a pinch of salt. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Follow that up with ¼ cup of water. This will prevent the spices from burning. Saute for a minute.
- Add coconut milk. I love the Chaokoh brand that you can find at the Asian grocery store or Amazon.
- Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Stir.
- Now add the cooked pasta.
- Toss well. Check for salt.
- Add ½ cup to 1 cup of pasta water for a creamy sauce. The coconut milk is quite thick so adding the pasta water will help create a creamy sauce. Toss.
- Add the salmon back in. Gently toss.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
Neelma Kohli says
As soon as Nisha posted this recipe, I knew I had to make it! What’s not to love about cajun spices and the creamy coconut sauce! I went out and bought salmon and made it for dinner and it absolutely delicious!! My husband is usually not a fan of coconut milk, but he devoured it! Thank you Nisha for always inspiring me and coming up with creative and delicious recipes!
Thanks so much for your comment Neelma. I truly appreciate it. I'm so glad both you and hubby enjoyed this dish. xoxo
This pasta turned out to be delicious. Love the Cajun flavour.
Yatri Amin says
This was good! We subbed a few things so may try her suggested way next time but definitely hit the spot.
There are no words to do this justice. This recipe was SO good. Had the perfect spice and creaminess. 10/10 will make again.
OMG Nora. Thank you! Your comment just made my day! So sweet. THank you! xoxo