While I was visiting India, my mother-in-law taught me an interesting way of making Indian subzis. Almost every time she would make a subzi, she would make a paste of cilantro, green chillies, ginger, and garlic. She would then add this paste to the onions, cook it, and then add a vegetable of her choice. This paste added so much depth and flavor to all her dishes.
When I returned from India, I figured I'd try my mother-in-law's technique using potatoes. I even purchased a new karahi (a steel pot) from India, so I was pretty psyched to use it. So here is a subzi I came up with, my inspiration for this dish, was of course, my mother-in-law! I didn't add ginger to this dish, you may choose to do so.
Serve this up with roti/naan, some raita or yogurt on the side. Leave your feedback.
NUTRITION: Potatoes are a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber.
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
- Red Onion - 1 medium (sliced)
- Water - very little for paste
- Green Chillies - 3
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Fresh Cilantro - handful
- Red Chili Powder - ½ tsp
- Dhaniya Powder - 1 tsp
- Potatoes - 4 (peeled and thinly cubed)
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp
- salt to taste
1. Slice a medium sized onion.
2. Heat a karahi/pot on medium heat, add oil.
3. Once the oil is hot, add turmeric powder. Saute for a few seconds till it sizzles.
4. Add the onions and cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
5. In the meantime, make your paste with green chillies, garlic and cilantro.
7. Once the onions are golden, add the paste to the onions. Lower the heat to dial #3.
8. Add salt and red chili powder. Combine and cook for 5 minutes. Keep stirring in the middle to avoid burning.
9. In the meantime, peel and cube the potatoes.
10. Going back to the onion mixture, this is what you should have... should be slightly dark green.
11. Now add the potatoes, salt, and dhaniya powder. Combine.
12. Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes on dial #3. Keep checking and stirring in between to avoid burning.
13. This is what you should have... add garam masala. Adjust salt. Cook for a minute and turn off the stove.
14. Garnish with cilantro. Wait 15 minutes before serving.