This is a classic Punjabi dish and one of my FAVORITE curries. It goes really well with rice. I don't make pakodas because I can't get myself to deep fry food and happily eat it, I can only purchase deep fried food. I usually make this dish without pakodas, however I had some falafal on hand, so I used them instead. Brilliant, right? :-)
NUTRITION: Chickpea flour is a good source of Protein and Fiber. Yogurt is a good source of Protein and Calcium.
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves - 3
- Dry Red Chillies - 3 pieces
- Curry Leaves/Pata - 7-8
- Chickpea Flour (Besan) - 1 cup
- Yogurt - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Turmeric Powder - pinch (for chickpea flour mixture)
- Onion - 1 big (sliced)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece (grated)
- Garlic - 2 cloves (grated)
- Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1.5 to 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Mango Powder - 2 tsp
- Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori Methi)- 2 tsp
1. Slice the onions and grate the ginger and garlic.
2. Mix the chickpea flour, yogurt, water, and a pinch of turmeric powder. Set aside for 1/2 hour.
3. Set aside all the dry spices: dry red chillies, curry pata, jeera seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cloves, 1/2 tsp tumeric powder, 1/4 tsp hing.
4. Heat up a pot on medium heat, add oil, add the dry spices, cook for 1 minute until the cumin seeds start getting dark.
5. Add the onions, ginger and garlic paste. Cook until onions brown and soften. Add tumeric powder, chili powder, dhaniya powder, salt to taste.
6. Pour the besan/yogurt/water mix into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat until it boils.
7. Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
8. After 20 minutes, taste and adjust salt as needed. Add mango powder and dry fenugreek leaves. Combine. Now add garam masala, stir, and turn off the stove.
NOTE: I didn't make pakodas for this recipie, I simply used store bought falafal, worked great!!! Enjoy!