My Mom's Vegan Banana Bread recipe is delicious, hearty, whole wheat, and full of nuts. It's perfect for weekend brunch with a cup of coffee.
If you've watched my Instastories, you know cooking with my mom is no walk in the park. She's a typical Punjabi mom because she knows EVERYTHING, she doesn't sugarcoat anything, and she still bosses me around. Getting my mom to measure anything is a challenge. I've literally begged her to measure her Whole Wheat Vegan Banana Bread, however she refuses to. Let's just say women of her generation (aka desi moms) don't measure anything, but rather everything is based on andaza (winging it). For this recipe, my mom used her mug and karchi (ladle) for all the measurements. Having said that, I wouldn't change a thing about my mom. ❤️
Once I returned to California, I successfully made my Mom's recipe, however the texture was more cake-like, and not bread-like. The second time I made Mom's Banana Bread, it was perfect. So I'm finally sharing her recipe, measured out and all which was no easy task, hence I hope I get some credit for this. ?
vegan banana bread is:
Full of Walnuts, you can use almonds or pecans
Perfect for Weekend Brunch
Lasts for a week when refrigerated
Delicious with a spread of peanut/almond butter
how to make vegan banana bread step by step?
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Begin by chopping the walnuts. Set aside.
3. Now prepare the egg substitute mix. Mix well.
4. In a medium-size bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, mix the oil, egg substitute, mashed ripe bananas, and sugar.
6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches. Mix, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
7. Now add the walnuts, and gently fold them into the batter.
8. Grease a loaf pan, I just used coconut oil. Pour batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Oven temperatures may vary, so check the banana bread after 45 minutes.
9. Enjoy your banana bread. It's perfect with a cup of coffee, or tea. 🙂
Mummy's Vegan Banana BreadVegan, Whole Wheat
for the batter
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 ¾ cups Desi atta, durum wheat flour, or use whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cups ripe bananas
- ½ cup organic sunflower oil
for the egg replacement
- 2 tablespoon oil, sunflower, avocado, vegetable will work
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan, I just used coconut oil.
- Begin by chopping the walnuts. Set aside.
- Now prepare the baking soda mix, this is a replacement for your egg mixture. Mix well.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, egg substitute, mashed bananas, and sugar.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches. Mix, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Now add the walnuts, and gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Oven temperatures may vary, so check the banana bread after 45 minutes.
- Enjoy your banana bread. It's perfect with a cup of coffee, or tea. 🙂
Hey girl. I truly love the idea of banana nut bread. My son doesn't touch banana and i thought this is a good idea to feed him that and i am happy to let you know he tried and liked it. Love it and ofcourse the measurements were perfect and I got one gorgeous banana nut vegan bread out of the oven. So proud of myself thanks to you and your mom. She is such a sweet human being and so are you
I had my own recipe of banana bread, but this one differs a lot and it is cooler than mine, honestly speaking! It costs every minute spent on cooking it, though the plate is empty in 15 minutes))) My family is mad about that dessert. My friend became vegan recently and I wanted to cook something special for her. By the way, I have not cooked whole wheat bread yet. I think it will be an interesting experience. Thank you for the recipe!
Do you think this will work with any other oil instead of sunflower?
This will work with Avocado oil. Vegetable and Canola aren't the healthiest options so I don't recommend them, but those will definitely work too. You need to use a flavorless oil here. Hope that helps!
Definitely a keeper in the recipe collection! I’ve made it twice and it was a hit both times! The second time substituted chocolate chips for walnuts ( realized I was out of walnuts and too lazy to run to the store!).
And I recognize that phrase moms use (andaaz Ha ha!)
Hi , I have tried banana breads before and they always tasted a little eggy to me . Decided to make this Vegan version !! N wow !!! ?? . My bread was falling apart may be because I used half multigrain atta (Indian store) and half all purpose flour. But the taste was spot on !! And yes, please wait for the bread to cool down ?
Thanks for this amazing recipe Nisha .
The best banana bread I've had!! Super moist and delicious!! And love that it's eggless
I tried this recipe today and it came out delicious. My husband loved it too!
Awesome recipe and very easy to follow!
Loved it! I ended up with a beautiful loaf.
I did sub some stuff though. all oil with avacado oil, cinnamon with vanilla, and didn't have any walnuts - so subbed with 1/3 cup each of pecans, almond slivers, and mini choco chips. * heart eyes *
Tried your banana bread it was amazing easy and delicious thank you
turned out great ..
Tanvi Shah says
Thanks for the recipe, Nisha! I baked it and loved how moist it was. Also, bonus points for keeping it healthish. Helps me enjoy sweets but doesn't throw me off my fitness goals!
Planning to bake another round soon. Thank you to your mom and you 🙂
Sahra Kahn says
The best vegan banana bread recipe I’ve come across!! I’ve made it 4 times within the last month already, I’ve memorized the recipe haha. Thank you💙
Hi can I use brown sugar or maple syrup?
Hi Gigi. I would recommend brown sugar over maple syrup. The cake may be a little darker though.
Let me know.
Our family’s favourite evening snack 😍
Made this tonight and both my vegan and non-veg family loved it!! Also I used regular canola oil and it worked fine.
Was wanting to make this for a long time n finally Made this today and it turned out so good.. used to make it with eggs n all purpose flour before. Such a healthy version n girls thought it was my regular recipe
This was so easy to make and so delicious. The sugar was just right and I can see myself making this more often as the ingredients are pantry friendly.
I have been searching for an eggless recipe for ages. Finally, I have found my go to banana bread recipe! So delicious! Thank you 🙂