This cake reminds me of my girlfriends for some reason. It is a perfect Sunday afternoon cake with the girls, gossip, and a cuppa. 🙂 I definitely will be baking this over and over again! Thanks Ina - she's genius!
- I made ⅔'s of the original recipe which brought the butter down to 8 tbsp. I went ahead and cut out 50% of the butter in the cake, only using 4 tbsp, which is still quite a bit, but hey, it's cake.
- recipe calls for full fat sour cream, I used a ¼ cup of full fat sour cream and use ¾ cup of low fat yogurt. It works!!! I didn't have any light sour cream on hand, I would have much rather used light.
- For the Streusel, I didn't use all the butter, just 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil.
- I skipped the walnuts and glaze. The glaze is so unnecessary for a cake with so much flavor, not to mention all the sugar in the glaze. Unnecessary calories! I simply used 1 teaspoon of confectioners sugar for presentation.
- Lastly, I replaced ⅔ cup of Cake Flour with Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.
~ yields 12 generous slices using ⅔'s of the original recipe @ 350 degrees.
~ lowered fat by 39%; lowered calories by 20% (using my modifications)
INGREDIENTS for cake:
- Cake Flour - 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - ⅔ cup
- Baking Powder - 1 ⅓ tsp
- Baking Soda - ⅓ tsp
- Salt - ⅓ tsp
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Butter - 4 tbsp
- Egg - 2 large whole
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Sour Cream - ¼ cup (optional: use Light Sour Cream)
- Low Fat Yogurt - ¾ cup
- Brown Sugar - 2.5 tbsp
- White Flour - ⅓ cup
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Canola Oil - 1 tbsp