Hara Bhara Kebab is a spinach peas potato patty that's flavored with fresh cilantro and spices. I added chickpeas for a healthier twist.
Unarguably, my favorite kind of kebab is chicken kebab which is full of intense flavors, what can I say, I love desi chicken.
Here's a vegetarian kebab that's just as flavorful and healthy too.
What is Hara Bhara Kebab?
Hara means 'green' and bhara means 'full', and so these are kebabs that are full of greens. These delicious kebabs are made with spinach, peas, green chilies, ginger, cilantro, potatoes, spices, and chickpeas. Chickpeas? Yes!
What is Hara Bhara Chana Kebab?
Hara Bhara Chana Kebab is essentially spinach, peas kebabs with chana (chickpeas). My version of these chickpea kebabs adds a little protein and fiber to these kebabs. They're so delicious and satisfying.
Can I make this recipe vegan, and gluten-free?
This recipe is already vegan.
For a gluten-free option, you can replace panko crumbs with gluten-free breadcrumbs or panko crumbs.
Tips on making Hara Bhara Kebab:
- Saute the spinach and peas with spices.
- Blend the sauteed mixture with cilantro and chickpeas.
- Make the hara bhara kebab patties.
- Saute the patties on a castiron skillet.
Ingredients you’ll need for Hara Bhara Kebab:
Spinach: You'll need fresh baby spinach, no need to chop the spinach.
Peas: I used frozen peas, just rinse and drain them.
Green Chili: chopped.
Chickpeas: I used a cup of organic chickpeas from a can, make sure you rinse and drain them.
Fresh Cilantro: no chopping needed.
Potatoes: I used Gold Potatoes - you can use whatever you wish. Grate the potatoes.
Arrowroot Powder: This prevents the patties from falling apart. Alternatively, you may use cornstarch.
Panko Crumbs: This adds a nice crunch to the patties. You may use breadcrumbs instead.
Spices: Cumin Seeds, Cumin Powder, Chat Masala, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Garam Masala, Mango Powder (amchur), Arrowroot Powder, Salt.
Avocado Oil: Any high heat oil works, I like avocado oil.
Hara Bhara Kebabs are:
Gluten-free option (see notes)
How to make Hara Bhara Kebabs recipe step by step?
1. Boil and peel potatoes.
2. Chop ginger, garlic, and green chilies. Set aside baby spinach and frozen peas - rinsed and drained.
Make Veggie Mixture
1. Heat up a castiron skillet on low-medium heat, once hot, add oil followed by cumin seeds. Cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add ginger, garlic, and green chilies. Saute for a minute.
3. Add spinach and season with salt. It'll take a minute or two to wilt.
4. Now add the drained peas and cook for a minute.
5. This is what you should have.
1. Add chickpeas and cilantro to a blender. Also, add spinach-peas veggies that we sauteed above. Blend.
2. This is what you should have.
Make Hara Bhara Kebabs
1. In a bowl, add grated potatoes followed by all the dry spices.
2. Add the blended veggies (peas spinach mix) and mix well.
3. Add arrowroot powder - cornstarch works if you don't have arrowroot. Mix well.
4. Now add panko crumbs and mix well. This will make your kebabs crispy and add texture. Mix well.
5. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, form your kebabs into small patties.
6. Heat up a castiron skillet on low-medium heat - I'm using a 12" skillet. Once hot, add oil. Now place all 10 patties on the skillet. Cook on one side for 6-7 minutes until crispy.
7. Flip and cook for another 6-7 minutes on one side on low-medium heat.
Pin & Enjoy!
More Potato Recipes!
Hara Bhara KebabHealthyish, Vegan
for sauteed veggies
- 2 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas, rinsed & drained
- salt to taste
to blend veggies
- 1 cup organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- sauteed veggies from above
to prepare mix
- 2 potatoes, boiled & grated, 374 grams
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chat masala, I like MDH
- ½ Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon amchur, mango powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil to coat 12" skillet