Almond Cardamom Cake is an Indian-inspired Afternoon Tea cake that pairs perfectly with a hot cup of masala chai.
Whenever I bake for my mom, it has to be an unfrosted cake, or as my mom likes to say – “dry cake.” She just refuses to eat any cakes with frosting. Now, let me assure you there is nothing dry about this Almond Tea Cake, it’s moist, fragrant, and delicious.
What is Almond Tea Cake?
Almond Tea Cake is a simple vanilla buttery cake flavored with slivered almonds, cardamom, and unfrosted. It pairs beautifully with a cup of hot Kadak Masala Chai.
Can I make this recipe vegan, gluten-free?
for vegan: Skip the butter and use vegan butter. Skip the milk and use nut-free unsweetened milk.
Can I make this cake nut-free?
Absolutely. Simply omit the almonds and go nut-free.
What other nuts can I use instead of almonds?
Pistachios would work beautifully. Cashews and walnuts will work too.
I would avoid peanuts and pecans.
Tips on making Almond Cardamom Tea Cake:
- You need slivered almonds, not chopped. You can easily find them at any grocery store.
- Make sure the butter, eggs, and milk are all at room temperature. This results in a lighter cake.
- Do NOT over-mix the batter else the result will be a tough cake. Just mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Fold, do not mix, fold the slivered almonds into the batter at the end. Also, top the cake with additional slivered almonds.
Almond Cardamom Cake is:
How to make Almond Cardamom Cake recipe step by step?
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients – all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt.
3. Take a stick of butter at room temperature.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is creamy.
5. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
6. Add the eggs until the batter is creamy.
7. Now add the vanilla extract and beat.
8-9 Add the dry ingredients and milk, alternating between the dry and wet – start with the dry and end with dry.
10. Batter is done.
11. Add the slivered almonds and fold them into the batter.
12. Grease an 8″ round baking tray, pour the batter into the baking tray.
13. Top with more slivered almonds. Into the oven for 30-35 minutes.
14. Cake is done. Cut into 12 slices. Enjoy with tea!
More Indian Afternoon Tea Recipes!
- Indian Afternoon Tea
- Tea Party Sandwiches – Indian-inspired
- Mango Mousse
- Quinoa Bhel Salad
- Rava Dhokla
- Eggless Mawa Cake
- Rose Water Almond Cake
Almond Cardamom Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds inside batter
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds for topping
- dusting of powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients - all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt.
- Take a stick of butter at room temperature.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs until the batter is creamy.
- Now add the vanilla extract and beat.
- 8-9 Add the dry ingredients and milk, alternating between the dry and wet - start with the dry and end with dry.
- Batter is done.
- Add the slivered almonds and fold them into the batter.
- Grease an 8" round baking tray, pour the batter into the baking tray.
- Top with more slivered almonds. Into the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cake is done. Cut into 12 slices. Enjoy with tea!