It's been a while since I last made tofu... here is a recipe my mom often makes. I love the combination of spinach and tofu since they are both healthy. This is a simple recipe that uses garlic, green chilies, and onion as the base sauteed with fresh spinach. My mom typically does not add any sort of sour cream or cream at the end, however for this recipe I added 2 tablespoons of half & half, which isn't terrible.
My guinea pig for this recipe was my husband since he "hates" tofu, this way it would be a challenge to see if he truly liked the dish. I'm not sure why people aren't fond of tofu, in my opinion if you spice it up nicely it will taste really good. Anyway, when my husband returned home from work I mentioned there was tofu in this dish and he should give it a try. He didn't make a face and tried it with an open mind and surprisingly he really enjoyed it. Either he's been living with me too long and has become more health conscious or he just loves anything I make. Hmmm, I'd like to think it's the latter. Hope you like it.
NUTRITION: Spinach is loaded with tons of nutrients. It is rich in Vitamins A, C, and K, and is an excellent source of Iron and Folic Acid. Spinach is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Tofu is an excellent source of Protein for vegetarians. It is also rich in Calcium and Iron.
For the tofu:
- Tofu - 14 ounce package (preferably firm, cubed)
- Olive Oil - ¾ tbsp
For the saute:
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves (chopped)
- Green Chilies - 2 (chopped)
- Red Onions - 2 small (chopped)
- Fresh Spinach Leaves - 2 bunches (chopped)
- Red Chili Powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 ½ tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 ¼ tsp
- salt to taste
- Half & Half - 2 tablespoon (optional)... or you can use Light Sour Cream or Light Cream
1. Here is the tofu package.
2. Start by cutting small cubes as follows:
3. Heat a pan on medium-high heat. Once hot, add ¾ tablespoon of Olive Oil. Add cubed tofu. Let this saute for about 5-7 minutes. Stir occassionally.
4. Chop the garlic and green chilies. I used my Magic Bullet.
5. Chop the red onions.
6. Check on the tofu. Season with salt. Stir and let it go for another 5 minutes.
7. Heat a pot on medium heat, once hot, add 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil, cumin seeds, and turmeric powder.
8. Once they sizzle, add the garlic, green chilies, and onions. Season with salt. Saute for about 5 minutes.
9. In the meantime, wash your spinach and chop.
10. Check on your tofu. You don't want the tofu to be too crispy. Turn off the stove. Set aside.
11. Check on the onions, this is what you should have.
12. Add the spinach.
13. Add salt, red chili powder, and coriander powder.
14. Gently stir until the spinach wilts down, about 2 minutes.
15. Allow the spinach to cook for 5 minutes.
16. After 5 minutes, this is what you should have.
17. Add the tofu and gently combine. Season with salt IF YOU NEED TO.
18. Cover and allow this to simmer for 5 more minutes.
19. Add garam masala. Gently combine. Turn off the stove.
20. Add 2 tablespoon of half & half, optional.
21. Wait 15 minutes before serving. Serve with brown rice or roti. Should be tasty, let me know!
TELL ME: Do you like tofu? If so, how do you cook it?