I LOVE experimenting with flavors and ingredients.... here is an interesting recipe I came up with. This past weekend I wanted to make Dhaniya Rice, however I wanted to add some protein to the dish so I wouldn't be inhaling carbs. I didn't have any chicken, so I thought tofu might just work. My husband HATES tofu! I can't get him to eat tofu unless it is fried, or covered in spices. While eating this dish, he assumed he was eating egg... it was tofu all along!
There are 3 steps in preparing this dish... blending the Dhaniya, sauteing the tofu, and cooking the rice. You can choose to make this with Mint Leaves as well, or even combine the Dhaniya and Mint leaves. I really enjoyed this dish, my husband loved it too. It goes really well with plain yogurt and some pickle.
NUTRITION: Tofu is an excellent source of Protein for vegetarians. It is also rich in Calcium and Iron.
- (for Dhaniya Puree):
- Fresh Dhaniya Leaves - 1 bunch (you can add more if you'd like)
- 2 Green Chillies
- (for tofu):
- Oil - ½ tbsp
- Tofu - 1 (14 oz) package
- Red Chili Powder - ½ tsp
- Dhaniya Powder - 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- Dhaniya Puree - 2 tbsp
- (for rice):
- Oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Rice - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Garlic - 3 cloves (grated)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece (grated)
- Red Onions - 2 medium (sliced and halved)
- Jeera Seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
- Cloves - 4
- Green Cardamom - 3
- Cinnamon Stick - ½ piece
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Dhaniya Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala - ½ - 1 teaspoon (depends on how much heat you can handle)
- salt to taste
1. Make the Dhaniya Puree, you will need fresh dhaniya leaves (roughly chopped) and green chillies.
2. Add the dhaniya and green chillies to the Magic Bullet and blend. It smells so fragrant.
TIP: The Magic Bullet comes in so handy when preparing chutnies, purees, smoothies, eggs, even baby food (not that I would know, yet).
3. This is what you should have. Set aside.
4. Now for the tofu.
5. Heat a pan on medium-high heat. Add ½ tablespoon of oil. Add the tofu.
6. Break the tofu down. There will be a lot of liquid, this will eventually evaporate and the tofu will brown.
7. After about 5 minutes, when slightly golden, add the ½ teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon dhaniya powder, and salt. Combine.
8. Now add 2 tablespoon of the Dhaniya Puree. Combine.
9. This will take about 5-8 minutes to become golden-brown.
10. This is what you should have. Set aside.
11. Final step - cook the rice and pull it all together.
12. Grate the ginger and garlic, set aside.
13. Slice the onions, and half.
16. Add onions.
17. Add the grated ginger and garlic.
18. Add chili powder, dhaniya powder and salt. Allow this cook until the onions are translucent.
19. This is what you should have.
20. Add the remaining Dhaniya Puree, get every drop!!! Allow this to cook about 3-5 minutes until the liquid from the Dhaniya Puree evaporates.
21. In the meantime, wash the rice.
22. This is how the Dhaniya-Onion mixture should look.
23. Add the washed rice to the mixture. Combine and cook for 2 minutes.
24. Add water and salt to taste!
25. Cover and simmer on low-medium heat (dial 3-4). Should take about 20 minutes to cook.
26. Once cooked, add the tofu to the rice. I realize I should have used a bigger pot 🙂 Now combine!
27. Now add the garam masala, I used 1 tsp, you can use less than that if you can't handle heat.
TIP: Always add the garam masala at the end, adding it earlier will give the dish a bitter flavor.
28. Remove from heat. This is what you should have. Cover and let this sit for a while so the flavors combine and the rice isn't mushy.