It’s not often that I bake with white flour, white sugar and butter, so when I do it’s a real treat for everyone around me.
Especially my family, ya all know how they’re such a tough crowd to please.
This year for my brother’s birthday I baked a simple vanilla cake and topped it off with sliced strawberries and an almond crumble top.
Everyone loved this Strawberry Almond Crumb Cake, especially my mom, and so much so that she froze the leftovers for another day.
This cake isn’t too sweet. The strawberries add sweetness with a little tartness, and additionally I didn’t go too crazy on the sugar and butter amounts.
The perfect spring or summer cake, and just in time for Mother’s Day!
Hope you guys love it as much as my family and I did, especially my mom!
Strawberry Almond Crumb Cake
A light spring & summer cake that goes perfectly with a cup of coffee. Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C and a good source of Fiber. Additionally, strawberries are a great source of Antioxidants. Other than that, there is no nutrition in this cake. Enjoy in moderation!
Servings: 12 slices
- <b>for the cake</b>
- All Purpose White Flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Baking Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted Butter - 1/4 cup room temperature
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Organic Egg - 1
- Low-Fat 1% Milk - 1/2 cup
- Organic Strawberries - 1 1/2 cup sliced
- <b>for the crumb</b>
- All Purpose White Flour - 1/4 cup
- White Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Unsalted Butter - 2 tbsp
- Slivered Almonds - 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a round 9" baking tray with butter and a dusting of flour. Remove excess flour.
- Slice strawberies. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients... white flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir around. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients... 1/4 cup butter, sugar, and egg.
- Cream with an electric mixer until well combined... around 3 minutes.
- Now alternate adding between the dry and wet ingredients, starting and ending with dry. So here we are starting with the dry.
- And then the wet.
- Your batter is done.
- Pour the batter into the baking tray.
- Layer the strawberries on top of the batter.
- Make the crumb mixture by combining the flour, sugar, almonds and butter in a bowl. Mix with your hand.
- Top the lined strawberries with the crumb mixture.
- Into the oven for 30-35 minutes. Start checking at 30 minutes.
- Goes perfectly with a cup of tea/coffee. Enjoy!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 1g
Pin for later!
What’s your favorite crumb topping? Are you into healthy baking?