Today I made, Penne Arrabbiata, which literally means, "Angry Penne". This dish is cooked with red chili flakes, so it is hot and spicy, hence the term, 'angry.' I've had many variations of this dish in the US, but nothing beats eating Italian food in Italy. On our honeymoon, my husband kept ordering Penne Arrabbiata (a veggie option), since many dishes in Italy contain red meat. He must have ordered this dish like 7 times total, and he never seem to get sick of it. What's not to love? Pasta, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, topped off with parmesan cheese and parsley/basil!
Traditionally, this dish is topped off with parsley, I used basil instead. There is something about basil that goes so so well with Italian food. Normally, this dish does not use onions and crushed tomatoes, I used both, what can I say, I love hearty dishes. So I bring you my version of this simple, and truly amazing dish... I feel like I'm in Italy again. Try this, you will not be dissapointed!
NUTRITION: I used whole grain penne pasta, so this dish contains fiber. The cheese adds protein and calcium to this dish. Tomato sauce is a good source of Vitamin A and C.
- Barilla Whole Grain Penne- 1 box
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1.5 tbsp
Garlic - 3 cloves (chopped)
Crushed Pepper Flakes - 1 teaspoon (less if you can't handle heat)
Onions - 2 medium (chopped)
Plum/Roma Red Tomatoes - 2 (chopped)
Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes - one 28 oz. can
Black Pepper - ½ tsp
salt to taste
Basil - ½ cup (chopped)
Parmesan Cheese - ½ cup (finely grated)
1. Set aside water to boil.
2. Chop garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
3. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add extra virgin olive oil. Add red pepper flakes.
4. Add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are golden.
5. Add the tomatoes and salt.
7. Add crushed tomatoes. Season with black pepper and salt.
8. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
9. Now cook the pasta for 10 minutes, or until Al Dente.
10. In the meantime, chop the basil and grate the parmesan cheese.
11. The pasta should be done. The sauce will cook down a little bit. At this time add all the pasta to the sauce. Turn off the gas.
12. Add basil.
13. Add parmesan cheese.
14. All I can say is, why wasn't I born Italian? 🙁 SOOOOOOOO GOOD! I would really appreciate your feedback!
mmmmmmmmmm that looks yummy!! maybe me + dad can make it.
thanks my little munchkin 🙂 i hope to make it for you soon.
thank you, Atul.
Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!
I bet your Angry Penne makes Stomach Happy! Great looking dish. Maybe the penne is angry because it knows it's going to get eaten:)
haha... Angry Penne does make 'Stomach Happy'!!!
this looks really good..
So good! Made this for dinner tonight and loved it. Will definitely make again 🙂
I made this for dinner last night and it turned out amazing!! Will be making this more often...