Traditionally, this dish is topped off with parsley, I used basil instead. There is something about basil that goes so so well with Italian food. Normally, this dish does not use onions and crushed tomatoes, I used both, what can I say, I love hearty dishes. So I bring you my version of this simple, and truly amazing dish… I feel like I’m in Italy again. Try this, you will not be dissapointed!
NUTRITION: I used whole grain penne pasta, so this dish contains fiber. The cheese adds protein and calcium to this dish. Tomato sauce is a good source of Vitamin A and C.
- Barilla Whole Grain Penne– 1 box
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
- Crushed Pepper Flakes – 1 tsp (less if you can’t handle heat)
- Onions – 2 medium (chopped)
- Plum/Roma Red Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes – one 28 oz. can
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- Basil – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Parmesan Cheese – 1/2 cup (finely grated)
1. Set aside water to boil.
2. Chop garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
3. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add extra virgin olive oil. Add red pepper flakes.
4. Add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are golden.
5. Add the tomatoes and salt.