Technically, it is still “pumpkin” season since we are still in November and this recipe is just too amazing to not share with you all.
Before I forget, hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This year I flew out to California to spend the holidays with my sister, niece, and nephew. The 4 of us and my parents headed to my brother-in-law’s side of the family’s home for Thanksgiving where we enjoyed lots of great food and company. A special thanks to R & D for hosting all of us and for your warm hospitality. Everything from the wine to the turkey to the sides to the desserts were amazing.
And now, to share with you a Pumpkin Banana Bread recipe I recently made. My friend, Jhiane, came over while I was moping around at home one day, and instead of sulking I baked to feel better, and in turn I made Jhiane very, very happy! She devoured this dessert. Apparently, my sorrow turns into her gain, but I'm glad someone was around to enjoy it. 🙂
The bread itself contains no oil or butter, and yet it tasted delicious, however the cream cheese frosting on top does contain a little butter. If fat is not an issue, I highly recommend enjoying this delicious bread with a dollop of frosting because frosting just makes everything in life better.
After baking this delicious Pumpkin Banana Bread, I was extremely surprised as to how moist this bread tasted, in fact it tasted less like a bread and more like cake to both Jhiane and I.
So before November is officially up, bake this wonderful bread/cake for your family, it’s the perfect start to a day, or the perfect end to a night with a cup of tea. This incredibly delicious Pumpkin Banana Bread tastes best when served warm with a dollop of cream cheese melting on top, or just microwave the bread for 15 seconds before serving. Heavenly.
NUTRITION: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour is an excellent source of Protein and Fiber. Pumpkin is rich in Vitamin A and Fiber. Bananas are a very good source of Vitamin B6. They are also a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber. Pecans contain natural antioxidants and are heart-healthy nuts known to lower cholesterol.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITION PER SERVING (yields 10 slices):for a healthier version, skip the cream cheese frosting.
- Calories: 314 cals (without frosting – 264)
- Fat: 10 g (without frosting – 6.7)
- Saturated Fat: 3 g (without frosting – 0.9)
- Carbs: 67 g (without frosting – 63)
- Protein: 4.6 g (without frosting – 4)
- Fiber: 5.2 g (without frosting – 5.2)
PUMPKIN BANANA BREAD (REDUCED FAT) (slightly modified the original’s @ Confessions of a Chocoholic)
~ yields 10 slices @ 350 degrees using a loaf pan
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour – 1 ⅔ cup
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – ¾ tsp
- Ginger Powder – ⅛ tsp
- Nutmeg – ⅛ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Sugar in the Raw’s Turbinado Brown Sugar – 1 cup
- Egg – 1
- Libby’s Pure Pumpkin – ¾ cup
- Ripe Bananas – 3 ½ (medium size & mashed)
- Sour Cream – 2 tablespoon
- Pure Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Spiced Rum – ¼ cup or 2 oz.
- Pecans – ⅔ cup (roughly chopped)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (reduced fat):
- Unsalted Butter – 2 tbsp
- Neufchatel Cream Cheese – 2 ounces
- Vanilla – ½ tsp
- Confectioners Sugar – ¼ to ⅓ cup
1. Start by preheating the oven at 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl… flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger powder, and salt. Mix and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the egg and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on medium to high speed for 10 minutes, YES, 10 minutes.
4. This is what you should have. Notice the mixture is a bit grainy since I used turbinado brown sugar, if you choose to use white sugar, the sugar crystals will dissolve more easily.
5. In the meantime, mash the bananas.
6. Now add the bananas, pumpkin, sour cream, vanilla, and spiced rum to the wet mixture.
7. Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
8. Chop the pecans.
9. Add the dry ingredients and the pecans.
10. Fold, DO NOT MIX, fold the ingredients in.
11. Pour into the baking tray.
12. Into the oven for at least 45 minutes. I baked mine for 55-60 minutes, but careful the top of the cake does not burn. This will vary based on your oven.
13. Make the cream cheese frosting by combining all 4 ingredients… butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and confectioners sugar.
14. Wait 10 minutes before serving so the bread settles. Top with a dollop of cream cheese frosting. So incredibly delicious, I can’t believe each slice is packed with so much nutrition. Enjoy!
OVERALL RATING: 5 / 5
Quite honestly, there is absolutely nothing I would change about this cake. The original recipe calls for white flour and sugar, however I used whole wheat and turbinado brown sugar, respectively. In addition, I used pecans instead of walnuts simply because I prefer the combination of pumpkin and pecans. Just a note, when you eat the bread straight out of the oven, it may seem a bit gooey in the center, this happened despite baking the cake for an additional 10-15 minutes, this is normal. The bread will eventually settle down. Delicious cake that should be everyone’s “go-to” recipe for bread. Thanks Bianca for an awesome recipe. I can’t wait to make this bread for my mom, she will love it.
TELL ME: Have was your THANKSGIVING? What did you eat?